Document Type : Original Article
PhD in Epidemiology , Professor of Epidemiology, Research Center for Modeling in Health, Institute for Futures Studies in Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Iran
Senior Researcher, Student Research Committee, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Iran
MSc in Environmental Health Engineering, School of Public Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Iran
PhD in Biostatistics, Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Center for Regional Education of Health Care Systems (HIV/AIDS), Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Iran
BSc in Health Care Management, Medical Informatics Research Center, Institute for Futures Studies in Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
PhD in Health Care Management, Department of Management Policy and Health Economics, Health Service Management Research Centre, Institute for Futures Studies in Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Iran
Background & Objective: Quantifying real costs in total and per student is one of the key objectives of budgeting in longterm plans for higher education sector without any doubt this will improve the performance of universities However the evidences and experiences in this regard are very limited within Iran The purpose of this study was to estimate and analyze all costs of a school (as a model) compatible with activitybased costing in the logics of operating budgeting Methods: Having reviewed all available relevant documents of School of Public Health Kerman University of Medical Sciences in one academic year (201011) real costs were extracted and categorized In the same time all available facilities (classes laboratories library computer rooms and common rooms) human resources students and infrastructures of the school were surveyed The cost data were grouped into five sections: training costs research costs administrative costs current supportive costs and maintenance/development costs Results: The total cost of School of Public Health was 24726 million Iranian Rial (IRR) consisted of 18850 IRR for teaching costs 1894 IRR for research costs 2519 IRR for administrative costs and 1463 IRR for maintenance and current costs The total per student cost was 3111 IRR The total per postgraduate student cost was 25 times more than of undergraduate students Conclusion: A main part of the costs particularly salaries is out of hand of direct managers of the school These costs are usually hidden and are not presented in costs at the school level It seems that fixed salary of academic staff inflated human costs while it is suggested that with a better educational management the system could increase their responsibilities and improve their productivities Our computation as a model may help medical universities around the country to create a clear picture of their costs in line with the rules of operating budgeting
- Gharun M. Application of activity-based costing to estimate the cost per student cost in Iran. Quarterly Journal of Research and Planning in Higher Education 2007; 13(2): 79- 107. [In Persian].
- Ebrahimi-Nejad M, Farajvand E. Principles and Control Budget formulation. Tehran: Organization of Study and Compilation of Universities Human Sciences Textbooks; 2001. [In Persian].
- Robinson M, Brumby J. Does Performance Budgeting work?: An Analytical Review of the Empirical literature. Washington: International Monetary Fund; 2005; 210: 1-75.
- Cooper R. The rise of activity-based costing: how many cost drivers do you need, and how do you select them? Journal of Cost Management 1988; 2(2):45-54.
- Naderian H. Editorial director. Journal of auditor 2002; 4(17): 2-3. [In Persian].
- Hermiston J. A Guide to building an educational costing model. Canada: Eighth Annual of Canadian Institutional Research And Planning Association; 1990.
- Cooper R, Kaplan RS. Activity-based systems: Measuring the costs of resource usage. Accounting Horizons 1992: 2-13.
- Turny Peter BB. Activity Based Costing The Performance Breakthrough. London, UK: Kogan; 1997.
- Ellis Newman J, Izan H, Robinson P. Costing support services in universities: An application of activity based costing. Journal of Institutional Research in Australasia and JIR 1996; 5(1): 75-86.
- Boeke M. Technology Costing Methology Project for Educational Telecommunication. Journal of Cost Technology 2004; 7:13-18.
- Goodwin MC, Gleason WM, Kontos HA. A pilot study of the cost of education undergraduate medical students at Virginia Commonwealth University. Acad Med 1997; 72(3): 211-7.
- Franzini L, Low MD, Proll MA. Using a costconstruction model to assess the cost of education undergraduate medical students at University of Texas-Houston medical school. Acad Med 1997; 72(3): 228-37.
- Vimolket T, Kamol -Ratanakul P, Indaranta K. Cost of producing a medical doctor at Chulalongkorn University. J Med Assoc Thai 2003; 86(1): 82-92.
- Haghdoost AA. Economic view to comprehensive map of medical education. Stride Dev Med Educ 2006; 3(2): 67-8.
- Ghotbi N. Calculate the cost per student; Case Study: Tehran University, 1995-1996 school year. Journal of Research and Planning in Higher Education 2003; 30: 103-127. [In Persian].
- Kjouri J, Lotfi F, Amini M, Pilevar A, IsmailZadeh Z. Medical costs per student in the doctoral level professionals in Shiraz Medical School in 2007. Stride Dev Med Educ 2010; 7(1): 9-16. [In Persian].
- Rajabi A. Activity Based Costing (ABC), a new approach to calculate the cost of medical education courses (comparative study). Review of Accounting And Auditing 2001; 18(64): 35- 56. [In Persian].
- Ebadi Azar F, A.Gorj H, Hadian M, M.Ahari A. Unit cost calculation of student training at different levels trough Activity Base Costing method (ABC) at the School of Management and Medical Information, Iran University of Medical Science: academic year, 2006-2007. J Health Adm 2006; 9(24):23-8. [In Persian].
- Karimian Z, Kjouri J, lotfi F, Amini M. University management and response, the need for independence and freedom from the perspective of Faculty. J Med Educ 2011; 11(8): 855-83. [In Persian].
- Mehralizadeh S, Vakili A, Poorhosaini SM. Viewpoints of Medicine, Semnan University of Medical Sciences to the Student Research]. J Med Educ Dev Cent Yazd 2012; 6(1):11-6. [In Persian].