Document Type : Original Article
PhD in Library and Information Sciences, Assistant Professor, Department of Library Sciences, Member of Scientometrics and Webometrics Committee, Medical Informatics Research Center, Institute for Futures Studies in Health, Kerman
M.Sc. in Medical Librarianship and Information Sciences, Institute for Futures Studies in Health, Member of Scientometrics and Webometrics Committee, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
PhD in Epidemiology, Assistant Professor, Regional Knowledge Hub for HIV/AIDS Surveillance, Institute for Futures Studies in Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Background & Objective: Recently a new technology ie Web 20 has emerged and it is increasingly used in education Wiki is one of the web 20 application which is used in Elearning Wiki is a simple easy editable interactive application that enhances learning so this study was conducted to investigate the effect of using wiki on learning information searching skills on medical students in Kerman University of Medical Sciences Iran Methods: The study population included the medical students who have chosen the information technology (IT) course in the second semester in 2013 The course was held in four groups two groups were selected randomly One group was considered as test group teaching through wiki (wikispaces) The second one was the control group traditional teaching (lecture) We asked about students attitudes toward learning through a researchermade questionnaire Result: The most of the students (719%) have used at least one of the web 20 technologies and 219% used Wikis The mean scores of two groups increased and the difference between the mean scores was significant The mean and standard deviation of the students scores before and after training through Wiki enhanced from 280 ± 185 to 1285 ± 426 whereas it was 383 ± 430 to 1375 ± 325 in the traditional group (P < 0001) There was no significant association between two teaching methods (wiki and traditional) (P = 0560) and the improvement of both groups was almost equivalent but most of students (55%) preferred training by wiki Conclusion: Teaching through Wiki had a positive effect on learning Regarding Wiki capabilities it can be used as a supplement method for teaching
- Kripalani S, Cooper HP, Weinberg AD, Laufman L. Computer‐assisted self‐directed learning: The future of continuing medical education. J Contin Educ Health Prof 1997;17(2):114-20.
- Cook DA. Web-based learning: pros, cons and controversies. Clin Med 2007;7(1):37-42.
- Pastore R. Elearning in Education: An Overview. SITE 2002--Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education International Conference 2002; 2002(1): 275-6.
- Ruiz JG, Mintzer MJ, Leipzig RM. The impact of e-learning in medical education. Acad Med 2006;81(3):207-12.
- Docherty C, Hoy D, Topp H, Trinder K. eLearning techniques supporting problem based learning in clinical simulation. Int J Med Inform 2005;74(7-8):527-33.
- Ward J, Gordon J, Field MJ, Lehmann HP. Communication and information technology in medical education. Lancet 2001;357(9258):792-6.
- Chodorow S. Educators must take the electronic revolution seriously. Acad Med 1996;71(3):221-6.
- Moberg TF, Whitcomb ME. Educational technology to facilitate medical students' learning: background paper 2 of the medical school objectives project. Acad Med 1999;74(10):1146-50.
- Chu LF, Chan BK. Evolution of web site design: implications for medical education on the Internet. Comput Biol Med 1998;28(5):459-72.
- Woo MA, Kimmick JV. Comparison of Internet versus lecture instructional methods for teaching nursing research. J Prof Nurs 2000;16(3):132-9.
- Cook DA, Dupras DM. Teaching on the web: automated online instruction and assessment of residents in an acute care clinic. Med Teach 2004;26(7):599-603.
- Cook DA, Levinson AJ, Garside S, Dupras DM, Erwin PJ, Montori VM. Instructional design variations in internet-based learning for health professions education: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Acad Med 2010;85(5):909-22.
- Cook DA, Levinson AJ, Garside S, Dupras DM, Erwin PJ, Montori VM. Internet-based learning in the health professions. JAMA 2008;300(10):1181-96.
- Tripathi M, Kumar S. Use of Web 2.0 tools in academic libraries: a reconnaissance of the international landscape. The International Information & 2010;42(3):195-207. Library Review
- Bosch TE. Using online social networking for teaching and learning: Facebook use at the University of Cape Town. Communicatio: South African Journal for Communication Theory and Research 2009;35(2):185-200.
- Parscal TJ. Web 2.0: Read, write, create, connect, and learn—opportunities for online learning. Journal of Psychological Issues in Organizational Culture 2010;1(2):80-9.
- Sandars J. The potential of blogs and wikis in healthcare education. Education for Primary Care 2007;18(1):16-21.
- Minocha S. Role of social software tools in education: a literature review. Education+Training 2009;51(5/6):353-69.
- Duffy PD, Bruns A. The use of blogs, wikis and RSS in education: A conversation of possibilities. [cited 2013 Jul 8]. Available from: http://http://eprints.qut.edu.au/5398/1/5398.pdf
- Harris AL, Rea A. Web 2.0 and virtual world technologies: A growing impact on IS education. Journal of Information Systems Education 2009;20(2):137-44.
- Patasi B, Boozary A, Hincke M, Jalali A. The utility of podcasts in Web 2.0 human anatomy. Med Educ 2009;43(11):1116.
- Fischer MA, Haley HL, Saarinen CL, Chretien KC. Comparison of blogged and written reflections in two medicine clerkships. Med Educ 2011;45(2):166-75.
- Clifton A, Mann C. Can YouTube enhance student nurse learning? Nurse Educ Today 2011;31(4):311-3.
- Prensky M. Digital natives, digital immigrants part 1. On the horizon 2001;9(5):1-6.
- Martin CT. Promoting pedagogical experimentation: using a wiki in graduate level education. Comput 2012;30(12):655-60. Inform Nurs
- Ioannou A. Online collaborative learning: The promise of wikis. Int J Instr Media 2011;38(3):213-23.
- Park S, Parwani A, MacPherson T, Pantanowitz L. Use of a wiki as an interactive teaching tool in pathology residency education: Experience with a genomics, research, and informatics in pathology course. J Pathol Inform 2012;3(1):32.
- Jalali A, Mioduszewski M, Gauthier M, Varpio L. Wiki use and challenges in undergraduate medical education. 2009;43(11):1117. Med Educ
- Chen Y. The effect of applying wikis in an English as a foreign language (EFL) class in Taiwan. Michigan: ProQuest LLC; 2008.
- Hughes B, Joshi I, Lemonde H, Wareham J. Junior physician's use of Web 2.0 for information seeking and medical education: a qualitative study. 2009;78(10):645-55. Int J Med Inform
- Sandars J, Schroter S. Web 2.0 technologies for undergraduate and postgraduate medical education: an online survey. Postgrad Med J 2007;83(986):759-62.
- Okhovati M, Akbarnejad R, Zolala F. Web 2.0 technologies use by students of Kerman University of Medical Sciences: an educational approach. Proceedings of the 9th Asia Pacific Medical Education Conference (APMEC); 2012 Jan 11-15; Singapore. 2012.
- Lemley T, Burnham JF. Web 2.0 tools in medical and nursing school curricula. J Med Libr Assoc 2009;97(1):50-2.
- Rockinson-Szapkiw AJ. A comparison of a multimedia Wiki-based class text and a traditional textbook: Does type of text impact learning? Journal of Applied Research in Higher Education 2012;4(1):58-71.
- Alshumaimeri Y. The effects of wikis on foreign language students writing performance. Procedia Soc Behav Sci 2011;28:755-63.
- Hanning L, Parmar N, Morris E. Experiences using the Confluence wiki as an e-portfolio in a Pharmacist Prescribing Programme. In: Monash Pharmacy Education Symposium 2013[cited 2013 Jul 8]. Available from: http://opus.bath.ac.uk/36125/1/E_portfolios_Pr ato_Final.pdf