Document Type : Original Article
PhD in Nursing Education, Assistant Professor, Department of Surgical Nursing, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Medical Education Development Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Professor of Epidemiology , Research Center for Modeling in Health, Institute for Futures Studies in Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Professor of Psychiatry, Medical Education Development Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Background & Objective: Students are faced with many problems that can be associated with irreversible damage and devastating effects Psychological pressure is caused by changes in living conditions separation from family economic and financial problems marriage employment while studying and consequently educational problems including academic failure unnecessary transfer and changing of field of study and lack of scientific competence and dropping out reduced performance poor educational achievement All these show that the authorities have a grave responsibility in recognizing controlling and preventing educational damages Thus the aim of the present study was to identify students academic problems and the role of lecturers and counselors in resolving these problems from the view of students of Kerman University of Medical Sciences Kerman Iran Methods: The present research is a crosssectional study The data collection tool was a questionnaire consisting of 4 parts demographic characteristics the opinion of students about the counseling duties of lecturers students problems and the role of lecturers in reducing problems Validity and reliability of the questionnaire were determined using content validity and testretest (r = 078) respectively Data analysis was performed using SPSS software Results: Our findings indicate that of the 500 students studied 351 were female (702%) and 149 (298%) male The average age of the participants was 217 years The mean and standard deviation of the students psychoemotional problems was 144 ± 629 educational problems 9711 ± 1151 social and communicative problems 986 ± 796 and financial and economic problems 234 ± 61 Based on the view of students the mean and standard deviation of the role of counselors in the mentioned academic problems was 982 ± 3346 Conclusion: The majority of the problems expressed by students were related to social and educational issues which can cause problems for the students in respect to their educational and professional goals As a result of these problems students may require guidance and counseling services Students inadequate knowledge of consulting services may be the cause of their lack of use of these services for solving their problems With careful planning and updating and expanding counselors activities and knowledge more effective steps can be taken to reduce educational problems and promote the academic status of students
- Hajiaghajani S, Ghorbani R, Jenabi MS, Saberian M. Student's view point on professor's performance, method of selection, description of duties and the extent of responsibilities .J Med Educ 2002; 2(1):31-7.
- Moghadasi J, Mardani A, Nikfargam M. Effect of counseling strategies to reduce psychological problems of new student university of medical sciences Shahrekord. J Shahrekord Univ Med Sci 2005; 7(2):35-42. [In Persian]
- Rabiei M, Salehi R, Siyadat SA. A survey of career counseling needs of Shahre-Kord University students. Counseling Research & Developments 2007; 22: 89-106.[In Persian]
- Nijhof KS, Engels RC. Parenting styles, coping strategies, and the expression of homesickness. J Adolesc 2007; 30(5):709-20.
- Ratelle CF, Larose S, Guay F, Senécal C. Perceptions of parental involvement and support as predictors of college students' persistence in a science curriculum. J Fam Psychol. 2005; 19(2):286-93.
- Johnson CV, Hayes JA. Troubled Spirits: Prevalence and predictors of religious and spiritual concerns among university students and counseling center clients. J Couns Psychol 2003; 50 (4): 409- 19.
- Shahidzadeh A, Azin A, Ebadi M, Omidvari S, Garmaroodi Gh, Asadi A. Factors leading neural pressure on medical students of Tehran University of Medical Sciences. Payesh; 2009; 1(9):5-12. [In Persian]
- Shams B, Gorkyaraghi M, Ebrahimi A, Avijan M, Giahchin A. Problem solving courses and reference material: the attitudes of medical students of Isfahan University of Medical Sciences. Iran J Medi Educ 2006; 6 (2): 63-70. [In Persian]
- Shafiabadi A. An introductory to concepts and application of counseling. 2nd ed. Tehran: Entesharat-t Payamenoor; 2002. [In Persian]
- Hazavei SMM, Fathi Y. Student’ satisfaction from academic guidance and consultation at Hamadan University of Medical Sciences. J Shahid Sadoughi Univ Med Sci and Health Serv 2000; 2(8): 64-56. [In Persian]
- Berzonsky MD, Kuk LS .Identity style, psychosocial maturity, and academic performance. Pers Individ Dif 2005; 39(1): 235-47.
- Protivnak JJ, Foss LL. An exploration of themes that influence the counselor education doctoral student experience. Counselor Education and Supervision 2009;48(4): 23956.
- James LM, Taylor J. Impulsivity and negative emotionality associated with substance use problems and Cluster B personality in college students. Addict Behav 2007;32(4):714-27.
- Dadashzadeh H. Principles of communication and consultation and Technology. Tehran: Publisher Besat; 2000: 2-4. [In Persian]
- Moadli Z. Survey academic problems of students Nursing and Midwifery, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences in 2004. Proceedings of the News Conference on Nursing and Midwifery; 2007 May 2-3; Lorestan, Iran. 2007. [In Persian]
- Kolbert JB, Morgan B, Brendel JM. Faculty and student perceptions of dual relationships within counselor education: A qualitative analysis. Counselor Education and Supervision 2002; 41(3): 193-206.
- Isaak MI, Graves KM, Mayers BO. Academic, motivational, and emotional problems identified by college students in academic jeopardy. J Coll Stud Ret 2006; 8(2): 171-83.
- Adhami A, Nouhi E, Mohamadalizadeh S, Jalili Z, Fattahi Z. Faculty attitudes toward academic advising and counseling regarding their duties. Iran J Med Educ 2008; 8(1): 714. [In Persian].
- Shakurnia A, Asadolahi P, Elhampoor H, Khodadadi A. Investigate students' opinions of Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences about the state of current and ideal academic advising. J Ahwaz Univ Med Sci 2011; 10(4): 70-9. [In Persian]
- Ellen Rimsza M, Kirk GM. Common medical problems of the college student. Pediatr Clin North Am 2005; 52(1):9-24.
- Hajiaghajani S, Ghorbani RS, Genahi M, Saberian M, Rashidipoor A, Malek Hasan M. Performance, how to select and view the duties of supervisors of Semnan University of Medical Sciences. J Babol Univ Med Sci 2010; 2: 12-7. [In Persian]
- Hunt J, Eisenberg D. Mental health problems and help-seeking behavior among college students. J Adolesc Health 2010; 46(1):3-10.