Document Type : Brief report
Ph.D. in Psychology , Department of Psychology , Islamic Azad University, Zarand Branch, Kerman, Iran
M.Sc. in Psychology , Islamic Azad University, Zarand Branch, Kerman, Iran
Background & Objective: Academic performance is the most important factor in student evaluation Selfesteem is related to selfsatisfaction and perfectionism is the setting of high goals in performance Achievement motivation is the willingness to gain success Because these variables can affect academic performance the aim of this study was to investigate the relationship between students perfectionism achievement motivation selfesteem and academic performance Methods: This was a correlationaldescriptive study Based on Morgan s table 97 students were randomly selected from all last year nursing students of Kerman Branch Islamic Azad University Due to being incomplete 7 questionnaires were excluded The data collection tools consisted of Ahvaz Perfectionism Scale (APS) Hermans Achievement Motivation ( HAMQ) Scale and the Coppersmith SelfEsteem Inventory (SEI) Total average scores of students were considered as academic performance Results: Results showed a positive significant correlation between academic performance and perfectionism achievement motivation and selfesteem (P < 005) Perfectionism achievement motivation and selfesteem predicted 31% variances in academic performance Nevertheless investigation of the liner correlation of these variables showed that only the correlation between achievement motivation and academic performance was meaningful Conclusion: It is seems that for the improvement of students academic achievement perfectionism selfesteem and especially achievement motivation must be taken into consideration
- Sajadi SM, Saba MS, Ameri E. The role of evaluation in basic sciences. Sci J Hamadan Univ Med Sci 1992; 1 (1): 63-67. [In Persian]
- Lubinski D. Introduction to the special section on cognitive abilities: 100 years after Spearman's (1904)"'General intelligence, 'objectively determined and measured". J Pers & Soc Psychol 2004; 86(1): 96-111.
- Rice KG, Lopez FG, Richardson CME. Perfectionism and performance among STEM students. Journal of Vocational Behavior 2013; 82(2): 124-134.
- Leenars L, Lester D. Perfectionism, depression and academic performance. Psycol Rep 2006; 99(3): 941-2.
- Hazrati Viari A, Tayarani Rad A, Torabi SS. The effect of personality traits on academic performance: The mediating role of academic motivation. Social and Behavioral Sciences. Proceeding of the 4th Conference of Cognitive Science; 2012 May 10-12; Tehran, Iran. 2011:367–71. [In Persian]
- Sadrolsadat SJ. How self-esteem in children and adolescents with special needs will increase. Teb Va Tazkiyeh 2000; 38 :64-70. [In Persian]
- Mahdi Gharachedaghi M. Psychology of selfsteem. (Translation). Branden N. 1nd ed. Tehran: Nakhostin Publication; 2007: 54-61. [In Persian]
- Hosseini MA, Dejkam M, Mirlashari J. The correlation between self – esteem and academic achievement in rehabilitation students in Tehran University of social welfare and rehabilitation. Iran J Med Educ 2007; 7(1): 137-42. [In Persian]
- McClelland DC. The achieving Society.6nd ed. New York: Princeton; 1991:81-6.
- Ghasemzadeh A, Saadat M, Mazaheri E, Karami SP. Self-esteem in Iranian University student and its relationship with academic achievement. European Psychiatry 2012; 27(1):1.
- Speipel S J, Apigian C H. Perfectionism in students: Implications in the instruction of statistics. J Statistics Educ 2005; 13 (2): 2.
- Brumbaugh J, Lepsik R, Olinger C. The relationship between GPA and perfectionism. High School Education 2008; 11(7):94-101.
- Alison R. (dissertation).The relationship of positive and negative perfectionism to Academic Achievement, Achievement Motivation, and well-Being in Tertiary students. New Zealand: University of Canterbury; 2005: 20-3.
- Jessica B, Reynold WM. Examining the relationship of perfectionism, depression, and optimism: Testing for mediation and moderation. Personality and Individual Differences 2013; 54(3): 426-31.
- Altstötter G A, Gerstenberg FX, Brand M. Performing well – Feeling bad? Effects of perfectionism under experimentally induced stress on tension and performance. Journal of Research in Personality2012; 46(5): 619–22.
- Seif AA. Educational psychology. 5nd ed. Tehran: Agah; 2009:54-6. [In Persian]
- Muis KR, Franco GM, Ranellucci J, Crippen KJ. Increasing academic performance and retention in undergraduate science students. Montreal, Quebec: Canadian Council on Learning: United State, University of Nevada, Las Vegas. 2010.
- Schunk DH. Self-efficacy and academic motivation. Educational Psychologist 1991; 26(3&4):207-31.
- Accordino DB, Accordino MP, Slaney RB. An investigation of perfectionism, mental health, achievement, and achievement motivation in adolescents. Psychology in the schools 2000; 37(6): 535-45.
- Abdullahi OE. Relationship between achievement motivation, self- esteem, locus of control and academic performance of Nigerian University student. Nigerian J Guidance Counselling 2000; 7 (1): 130-41.
- Soufi S, Sadri Damirchi E, Sedghi N, Sabayan B. Development of Structural Model for Prediction of Academic Achievement by Global Self-esteem, Academic Self-concept, Self-regulated Learning Strategies and Autonomous Academic Motivation. Procedia Soc Behav Sci 2014; 114:26–35.
- Pellas N. The influence of computer selfefficacy, metacognitive self-regulation and self-esteem on student engagement in online learning programs: Evidence from the virtual world of Second Life. Computers in Human Behavior 2014; 35:157-70.
- Rosil R, Othman H, Ishak I, Lubis SH, Saat NZM, Omar B. Self-esteem and academic performance relationship amongst the second year undergraduate students of university Kebangsaan Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur Campus. Procedia Soc Behav Sci 2012; 60: 582-9.
- Ross CE, Broh BA. The roles of self-esteem and the sense of personal control in the academic achievement process. Sociology of Education 2010; 73(4): 270 -84.
- Biyabangard I. Relationship between selfesteem, motivation and achievement in third year high school students of Tehran. J Psychol Res 2004; 16: 133-44. [In Persian]
- Kernis MH, Brockner J, Frankel B S. Selfesteem and reactions to failure: The mediating role of overgeneralization. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology1989; 57(4): 707-14.
- Jenaabadi H. Studying the relation between emotional intelligence and self esteem with academic achievement. Procedia Soc Behav Sci 2014; 114: 203–6.
- Savari K.n The relationship of mental health, life satisfaction and perfectionism with migraine headache. J Knowledge and Health 2012;8(1):1-6. [In Persian]
- Hermans HJ. A questionnaire measure of achievement motivation. J Appl Psychol 1970;54(4):353-63.
- Dehghani Firozabadi S,Ghasemi H, Safari S, Ebrahimi AA, Etemadi O. The effectiveness of motivate interview group sessions on self confidence enhance and self efficacy of female addiction. Quarterly J Res Addiction 2013; 7(26):145-58. [In Persian]