Document Type : Original Article
M.Sc. in Medical Education, Medical Education Development Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Ph.D. in Nursing Education, M.Sc. in Medical Education, Assistant Professor, Department of Medical Education AND Medical Education Development Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
M.Sc. in Medical Education, Instructor, Department of Medical Education, Health Services Management Research Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Background & Objective: An important individual difference among students is their learning approaches Learning approaches are styles through which the learner selects information and integrates them Identifying students learning approaches and educational planning result in the attainment of educational achievements by students The aim of this study was to evaluate learning approaches and determine their relationship with demographic characteristics of postgraduate students of Kerman University of Medical Sciences Iran Methods: This was a descriptive analytical correlational study on 400 postgraduate students selected through random sampling The data collection tool consisted of a questionnaire with two sections of demographic characteristics and learning approaches Data were analyzed using descriptive statistics (frequency mean and standard deviation) and ANOVA and chisquare tests in SPSS software Results: The frequencies of deep surface and surfacedeep approaches among the students were 705% 235% and 60% Moreover among demographic characteristic the students occupation had a significant relationship with their approaches to learning (P = 0032) There was no relationship between learning approaches and other demographic characteristics of students Conclusion: This study showed that the majority of postgraduate students in Kerman University of Medical Sciences preferred the deep learning approach This learning approach had a significant relationship with their occupation It frequency was higher in unemployed people These findings are useful for the university and professors
- Zandi B. (dissertation). The relationship between Dependent/independent learning styles with academic achievement of the field of Persian language in academic students in their junior year of Saghez City. Yazd: Yazd University; 2009:2. [In Persian]
- Yamini M. (dissertation). Relationship between thinking and perception of classroom learning environment (with emphasis on the construction of social learning) approach and student learning outcomes. Tehran: University of Teacher Education; 2009: 2. [In Persian]
- Lawrence G. Looking at Type and Learning Styles. 4rd ed. US: Center for Applications of Psychological Type; 2007.
- Saif AA. Modern educational psychology. Tehran: Doran Pub; 2010: 284. [In Persian]
- Saif AA, Fathabadi J. Different approaches to lesson study and the relationship of study skills with academic achievement, gender and educational experience of university students. Daneshvar Raftar. 2008; 15(33): 29-40. [In Persian]
- Roshanaei M. The relationship between approaches to learning and preferences for instructional methods. Quarterly J Res Planning Higher Educ. 2007; 13(3): 109-42. [In Persian]
- Cano F. Epistemological beliefs and approaches to learning: their change through secondary school and their influence on academic performance. Br J Educ Psychol. 2005;75 (Pt 2):203-21.
- Cano F, Berbén AB. University students' achievement goals and approaches to learning in mathematics. Br J Educ Psychol. 2009; 79 (Pt 1):131-53.
- Cano F Consonance and dissonance in students’ learning experience. Learning and Instruction. 2005; 15(3):201-23.
- Saif AA. Modern educational psychology: psychology of learning and instruction. 6th ed. Tehran: Dooran; 2009. [In Persian]
- Eggen PD, Kauchak DP, Garry S. Educational psychology: Windows on classrooms. 9th ed. New Jersey: Prentice Hall; 2012.
- Siddiqui Z. (dissertation). Study approaches of students in Pakistan: the revised two factor study process questionnaire experience. Perth, Australia: University of Western Australia; 2006: 1-11.
- Lai PYM, Chan KW, Wong KYA. A study of intrinsic motivation, achievement goals and study strategies of Hong Kong Chinese secondary students. Australian Association for Research in Education (AARE) Conference; 2006 Apr 15; Adelaide, Australian. 2013. Available from: http://www.aare.edu.au/data/publications/2006/lai06321.pdf
- Ahmadi Deh Gutbuddini M. (dissertation). The relationship between mastery goals, performance objectives, avoidance orientation, learning strategies and problem-solving ability of students in Kerman Azad University. Kerman: Islamic Azad University of Kerman; 2009: 1. [In Persian]
- Gholami S. (dissertation). Investigation of nursing students' learning approaches in Nursing and Midwifery School of Bushehr. Bushehr: Bushehr University of Medical Sciences; 2013:1-5. [In Persian]
- Shahrabadi E, Rezaeian M, Haghdoost AA. The relationship of study and learning approaches with students’ academic achievement in Rafsanjan University of Medical Sciences. Iran J Med Educ. 2014;13(10): 860-68. [In Persian]
- Ghazi Tabatabai M, Yousefi Afrashte M, Siami L. Evaluation of student learning approaches and how they tend to: application of mixed research. Quarterly J Res Planning Higher Educ. 2014; 19(4): 27-50. [In Persian]
- Mansoori R, Soltani A, Rahemi F, Moosavinasab S, Ayatollahi M. Nursing and midwifery baccalaureate students’ approaches to study and learning at Fatemeh School of Nursing, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences. J Med Educ. 2004; 6(1):89 -94. [In Persian]
- Shaari R, Mahmud N, Wahab SRA, Rahim KA, Rajab A, Panatik SA. Deep as a Learning Approach in Inspiring Creative and Innovative Minds among Postgraduate Students in Research University. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2012; 40(1):152-6. [In Persian]
- Lapeyre E. Nursing students' learning styles: a comparison of degree and non-degree student approaches to studying. Nurse Educ Today. 1992; 12(3):192-9.
- Diehm RA, Lupton M. Approaches to learning information literacy: a phenomenographic study. J Acad Librarianship. 2012; 38(4):217 - 25.
- Segers M, Martens R, Van den Bossche P. Understanding how a case-based assessment instrument influences student teachers’ learning approaches. Teaching and Teacher Education. 2008; 24(7):1751-64.
- Shakurnia A, Elhampour H, Ghafourian Boroojerdi M, Saiedian R. Nursing and medical students' studying and learning approaches. Jentashapir J Health Res. 2011; 2(4):201-12. [In Persian]