Document Type : Original Article
Associate Professor, Research Center for Modeling in Health, Institute for Futures Studies in Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
BSc in Health Services Management, School of Management and informatics, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
MSc in Executive Management, Medical Informatics Research Center, Institute for Futures Studies in Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
PhD Student in Health Services Management, Health Services Management Research Center, Institute for Futures Studies in Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Background & Objective: The plan of integration of medical schools into the health system was adopted in 1985 and one of its consequences was the creation of the teaching hospital The aim of this study was to investigate the problems and challenges of managing teaching hospitals Methods: This qualitative phenomenological study was conducted through interviews with 16 health experts about the integration of medical education and the problems of the management of teaching hospitals in 2014 In this study the data gathering tool was interviews In order to approve the credibility and confirmability of the text it was transcribed and the resulting analysis was distributed among the professors participating in this study and their corrective recommendations and comments were applied Data were analyzed through the analysis framework techniques Results: The findings of this study included 6 main codes and 20 subcodes regarding the problems of teaching hospitals The main codes included the weaknesses of the integration of education and health the strengths of the integration of education and health management problems of teaching hospitals weaknesses of the separation of education and health strengths of the separation of education and health and organizational communications Conclusion: Management of teaching hospitals compared with treatment hospitals is very difficult Many of the problems in hospitals are due to the lack of sufficient power of the director and the head of the hospital Thus these problems can be reduced by the delegation of authority to the hospital managers
- Karimian Z, Kojouri J, Sagheb MM. A Review of the evidence-based medicine realm based on two factors: the nature of science and decision making situation. Media. 2015; 6(2): 69-75. [In Persian]
- Bigdeli S, Kord Afshari G, Soltani Arabshahi SK, Shams Ardakani MR, Mohammad Kenari H. Evidence based medicine in Iranian traditional medicine; schemes and treats. Educ Strateg Medi Sci. 2013;6(1):17-23. [In Persian]
- Karimi Moonaghi H, Pourghaznein T. System based education in medical sciences: necessary but forgotten. Iran J Med Educ. 2015; 15(19):1268. [In Persian]
- Mir Moghtadaei Z, Rokh Afroz D, Salarianzadeh H. A review of the challenges of about Integration of Medical Education into Health services. J Healthcare Management. 2015; 6(2): 7-15. [In Persian]
- Ghaffari R, Amini A, Yazdani Sh, Alizadeh M, Salek Ranjbarzadeh F, Hassanzadeh Salmasi S. Comparative study: curriculum of undergraduate medical education in Iran and in a selected number of the world’s renowned medical schools. Iran J Med Educ. 2012; 11(7):819-31. [In Persian]
- Boelen C. Prospects for change in medical education in the twenty-first century. Acad Med. 1995; 70(7 Suppl): S21-8.
- Lameei A, Labbaf Ghassemi R. The meaning, causative factors, consequences, and future of the integration from the perspectives of the supports and opponents of it. Hakim. 2009; 12(1): 1-10. [In Persian]
- Pauli HG, White KL, McWhinney IR. Medical education, research, and scientific thinking in the 21st century (part three of three). Educ Health (Abingdon). 2000; 13(2):173-86.
- Marandi AR. The Integration of medical education and health care system in the Islamic Republic of Iran: A historical overview. J Med Educ. 2001; 1(1): 8-11.
- Costa A1, Van Hemelryck F, Aparicio A, Gatzemeier W, Leer JW, Maillet B, et al. Continuing medical education in Europe: Towards a harmonized system. Eur J Cancer. 2010; 46(13): 2340-3.
- Karimi S, Masoodian Y, Yaghoubi M, Hosseini M, Sadeghifar J. Patient satisfaction with provided services and facilities in educational hospitals of Isfahan, Iran, from admission to discharge. Health Information Management. 2013; 9(6): 785-90. [In Persian]
- Batterham R1, Southern D, Appleby N, Elsworth G, Fabris S, Dunt D, et al. Construction of a GP integration model. Soc Sci Med. 2002; 54(8):1225-41.
- Davoodi A, Mohtasham Amiri Z, Naghshpour P. Attitude of general physicians toward ambulartory medicine education in health centers of Guilan University of medical Universities. Iran J Med Educ. 2002; 2(4): 56-58. [In Persian]
- Sayari AA, Karimi A. Integration or separation. IN: Scientific association of medical education, Analysis of scientific documentation and administrative integration of medical education and care system.1st ed. Tehran: Third Millennium Culture: 181-201. [In Persian]
- Ghazi Mirsaeid J, Mirzaie M, Haghshenas E, Dargahi H. Human resources distribution among Tehran University of Medical Sciences Hospitals. Payavard. 2014; 7(5): 432-46. [In Persian]
- Shackebaei D, Karami Matin B, Amolaee Kh, Rezaie M, Abdolmaleki P, Reshadat S, et al. Achieving the goals of integration of medical education and health service delivery systems from the viewpoint of the faculty members of Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences. Scientific J Kurdistan Univ Med Sci. 2011; 16(1): 81-91. [In Persian]
- Yamani N, Shater Jalali M. Curriculum integration, with emphasis on integration in medical education. Iran J Med Educ. 2012; 11(9): 1202-13. [In Persian]
- Esteghamati A, Shoghi shafagh aria F. Educational development centers in Universities of Medical Sciences and health services: past, present. Iran J Med Educ. 2002; 2: 22-3. [In Persian]
- Karami M, Safdari R, Pourbagher MR. The survey of relationship between evaluation scores of educational hospitals of kashan university of medical sciences and their performance indices: 2005-2006. J Nurs Midwifery Urmia Univ Med Sci. 2010; 8(1): 40-5. [In Persian]
- McKee M, Healy J. The role of the hospital in a changing environment. Bull World Health Organ. 2000; 78(6): 803-10.
- Jafari Sirizi M, Rashidian A, Abolhasani F, Mohammad K, Yazdani Sh, Parkerton P, et al. Qualitative assessment of dimensions and degree of autonomy granting to university hospitals. Hakim. 2008; 11(2): 59-71. [In Persian]
- Razavi SM, Nooraei SM, Hatami H, Sadeghiopoor HR. Integration of Medical Education in Medical Services: A Cross Sectional Study. Acta Medica Iranica. 2009; 47(3): 203-7. [In Persian]
- Nedjat S, Yazdizadeh B, Gholami J, Ashorkhani M, Nedjat S, Maleki K, et al. Effect of ministry of health and medical education structure on application of medical research. Hakim. 2008; 11(3): 1-10. [In Persian]
- Nadim A, Shadpour K, Holakouei K, Naghavi M, Nikpour B, Alai M. Opinion survey on joining of health care organization with university of medical sciences. Hakim. 1999; 2(2): 67-74. [In Persian]
- Khojasteh A, Momtazmanesh N, Entezari A, Einollahi B. Integration of medical education and healthcare service. Iran J Public Health. 2009; 38(1): 29-31. [In Persian]
- Abbasi Moghaddam MA, Razavi SM, Nooraei SM. Attitude of key academic persons about integration of medical education into health services. Tehran Univ Med J. 2004; 62(1): 80-8. [In Persian]
- Rahimi Z, Farhanchi A. Is it ethical plan to create a VIP section at government hospitals? Journal of Medical Ethics and History of Medicine. 2013; 5(7): 82-91. [In Persian]