Document Type : Original Article
PhD Student, Department of Higher Education Development Planning, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Kurdistan, Kurdistan, Iran
BA Student in Educational Sciences, Department of Educational Sciences, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, University of Mazandaran, Sari, Iran
Background & Objective: The exam night phenomenon is a phenomenon observed among Iranian students in recent years This means that students study the lessons offered during the term only on the night before the exam The aim of this study was to investigate students views and reasons regarding the exam night phenomenon of night Methods: This qualitative study was conducted through phenomenological method and purposive sampling The participants consisted of BSc students of Babol University of Medical Sciences (Iran) who had completed at least two half semesters and had experienced the exam night phenomenon Data were collected through indepth semistructured interviews and analyzed using open coding and a deep coding Results: The 3 main themes of personal problems (mental preoccupation lack of motivation students personality working while studying and study methods) educational issues (teacher textbooks interest in courses and the field of study and compact classes and the resulting fatigue) and implicit issues (university atmosphere family and the influence of friends) were effective in the exam night phenomenon Conclusion: According to the results the exam night phenomenon and its effective factors is an important issue which affects the students study method final score and many other issues
- Alrefaai IK, Rab SDA, Islam MS. The General Study Habits of Major EFL Students in King Khalid University and their Relationships With GPA, Gender and Certain Social Factors. Umm Al-Qura University Journal of Languages and Literatures. 2013; 10:9-63.
- Kornell N. Optimizing Learning Using Flashcards: Spacing Is More Eff. Utah state University ective than Cramming. Applied Cognitive Psychology. 2009; 23(9): 1297–317.
- Haghjooy Javannard SH, Mansourian M. Factors Affecting Deliberate Learning in First Year Students of Nursing and Midwifery School of Isfahan University of Medical Sciences. Iran J Med Educ. 2011;(10)5: 675-82. [In Persian]
- Seifori V. Evaluation of the reading skills and habits of the social science students of Razi University of Kermanshah. Res Info Sci Public Libraries. 2012; 18(1): 89-100. [In Persian]
- Rohani A, Akbari M, Mamavi T. Evaluation of study skills among student of Mashhad Dental School in Academic Year 2008-2009. Teb Va Tazkiyeh. 2011;19(4): 63-73. [In Persian]
- Abazari Z, Rigi T. Study habits and skills of students in Zahedan University of Medical Sciences, Iran. Health Information Management J. 2012;9(6):838-61. [In Persian]
- Ravari A, Alhani F, Anoosheh M, Mizaei-Khalilabadi T. The pattern of time management in college students of Kerman University of Medical Sciences in the year 2006. Iran South Med J. 2008;11(1):76-84. [In Persian]
- Nourian AA, Mosavinasab N, Fahri A, Mohammadzadeh A. Medical students’ study skills and habits in Zanjan University of Medical Sciences. Iran J Med Educ. 2006; 6(1): 101-7. [In Persian]
- Utah State University Academic Success Center. Test Anxiety. [Cited 2008 Mar 8]. Available from: https://www.usu.edu/asc/assistance/pdf/test_anxiet y.pdf.