Document Type : Original Article
Student Research Committee, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Department of Health Management, Policy and Economics, Faculty of Management and Medical Information, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Department of Statistics and Epidemiology, Faculty of Public Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Background Medical education development (MED) centers are established in order to improve the quality of medical education. It seems that after more than two decades since the establishment, the centers still have difficulties to perform some tasks. Objectives According to the important role of MED centers, the current study aimed at adapting the performances of such centers with their assigned tasks. Methods The current qualitative applied study was conducted in 2013. The statistical population of the study included managers of MED centers in Iran. Data were collected through a questionnaire containing open questions. During a national meeting the questionnaire distributed among 40 managers of MED centers and then analyzed using content analysis. Results More than half of the major functions that the managers stated, were referred to the first, second, and fourth tasks of the centers, and only 18% of the major functions were related to other tasks (11 cases). About 28% of the functions performed in such centers had no direct correlation with any of the 14 tasks. Conclusions Despite the history of MED centers for several decades, they are not justified in respect to their duties. It is recommended that guidelines be developed to address all duties and adequately monitor their implementation.
- Haghdoost A, Momtazmanesh N, Shoghi F, Mohagheghi M, Mehrolhassani M. Accreditation the education development centers of medical-sciences universities: Another step toward quality improvement in education. Iran J Public Health. 2013;42(Supple1):134–40. [PubMed: 23865031]. [PubMed Central: PMC3712586].
- Momtazmanesh N, Shoghi Shafagh Aria F. [Educational development centers (EDCs) in universities of medical sciences: Treatment and medical education, roles, position and achievements]. Teb Tazkiyeh.
- Taheri M, Habibi M, Momenzadeh SH, Alizade A. [Khnowledge of faculty members, specialists, residents and interns of Qazvin University of Medical Sciences about job description of educational development center in 2006]. J Med Educ Dev. 2006;2(2):43–9. Persian.
- Jalili Z, Nouhi E, Malekzadeh A. [Activities of medical educational development center from the views of the faculty members of Kerman Medical Sciences University]. Strides Dev Med Educ. 2004;1(1):1–9. Persian.
- Khazaei M. A viewpoint onmedical education in Iran. Educ Res Med Sci. 2013;2(1):1–2.
- Education Deputy, Ministry of Health and Medical Education. [Duties regulation of Medical Education Development Center (EDC) and Education Development Office (EDO) and how the interaction between them at the universities of medical sciences and health services]. 2010. Persian.
- Haghdoos TAA, Shoghi Shafagh Aria F, Momtazmanesh N, Changiz T. [Ranking of universities of medical sciences based on their educational activities: Setting indicators]. Teb Tazkiyeh. 2010;76:65–72. Persian.
- Changiz T, Shater Jalali M, Yamani N. [Exploring the faculty members’ expectations from educational development centers in medical universities: A qualitative research]. Iran J Med Educ. 2013;12(12):947–64. Persian.
- Fattahi Z, Mousapour N, Haghdoost A. [The trend of alterations in the quality of educational performance in faculty members of Kerman University of Medical Sciences]. Strides Dev Med Educ. 2006;2(2):63–71.Persian.
- Aghamolaei T, Abedini S. [Comparison of self and students’ evaluation of faculty members in school of health of Hormozgan University of Medical Sciences]. Iran J Med Educ. 2008;7(2):191–9. Persian.
- Ghafourian Borujerdi M, Shakournia A, Elhampour H. [Evaluation results feed back to faculty members of Ahvaz Medical University and its effect on improving the quality of teaching]. Iran J Med Educ. 2003;3(2):41–6. Persian.
- Ministry of Health and Medical Education. [Accreditation standards of Educational Development Center 2010]. 2011. Persian.
- Majdzadeh S, Nejat S, Gholami J, Rashidian A. [Satisfaction and opinions of Tehran University of Medical Sciences academic members on its development programs, 2006]. Payavard Salamat. 2008; 2(1):6–17.Persian.
- Ranjbar M, Vahidshahi K. [Effective factors on faculty members’ job satisfaction in Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, School of Medicine, 2006]. Strides Dev Med Educ. 2008;4(2):92–9. Persian.
- Haghdoost AA, Emami M, Dehnavieh R, Momtazmanesh N, Shoghi Shafagh Aria F, Mehrolhassani MH. [Evaluation of education development centers for medical sciences: Challenges and strategies]. Strides Dev Med Educ. 2015;11(4):407–19. Persian.