Document Type : Original Article
Payame Noor University, Isfahan, Iran
School of Psychology and Educational Sciences, University of Isfahan, Isfahan, Iran
Objectives Considering the contradictory evidence on the effectiveness of educational technologies, this meta-analysis was conducted to evaluate the impact of these technologies on medical education. Data Sources This meta-analysis was conducted based on secondary analysis methods. The analysis included experimental and semi-experimental studies on the effectiveness of educational technologies in the medical education of Iran. The census sampling method was applied in this study, and 54 studies were identified as relevant based on the inclusion and exclusion criteria. For data collection, a researcher-made checklist consisting of three sections, i.e., bibliographic information, methodological information, and findings, was completed. Finally, the Comprehensive Meta-Analysis (CMA) software was used for analysis of data. Results Among different educational technologies, multimedia education, E-learning, and computer-mediated learning using compact discs and software packages had significant effects on medical education; therefore, use of these technologies was effective in medical education. According to our findings, multimedia education (effect size, 1.793) was considered to be the most influential virtual technology in medical education. In general, all educational technologies were effective in the medical education of Iran; however, their effectiveness was insubstantial. Considering the area under the normal curve, the average effectiveness of educational technologies was 63% higher in the virtual education groups, compared to the controls without virtual education. Conclusions One of the most important issues in medical education and training is preparation of an engaging learning environment for students, which can be realized through a variety of educational technologies. However, for optimal effectiveness, complementary use of virtual technologies along with traditional methods or their integration in other educational approaches is suggested.
- Zamani BE, Babri H,Mosavi S. [The factors affecting students’ attitudes toward learning via cellular phone: A study on students of Isfahan University of Medical Sciences using technology acceptance model]. Strides Dev Med Educ. 2013;9(2):110–7. Persian.
- Abiodun O, Owoyele JW. Causal attributions and affective reactions to academic failure among undergraduates in the Nigerian Premier University Education. Eur J Sci Res. 2011;52(3):406–12.
- Arum R, Roksa J. Academically adrift: Limited learning on college campuses. Chocago and London: University of Chicago Press; 2011.
- Zhang Y, Dang Y, Amer B. A large-scale blended and flipped class: Class design and investigation of factors influencing students’ intention to learn. IEEE Trans Educ. 2016;59(4):263–73. doi:10.1109/te.2016.2535205.
- Rotellar C, Cain J. Research, perspectives, and recommendations on implementing the flipped classroom. Am J Pharm Educ. 2016;80(2):34. doi: 10.5688/ajpe80234. [PubMed: 27073287]. [PubMed Central:PMC4827585].
- Jensen JL, Kummer TA, d M Godoy PD. Improvements from a flipped classroom may simply be the fruits of active learning. CBE Life Sci Educ. 2015;14(1):ar5. doi: 10.1187/cbe.14-08-0129. [PubMed:25699543]. [PubMed Central: PMC4353080].
- Weigel VB. Deep learning for a digital age: Technology’s untapped potential to enrich higher education. New York: John Wiley & Sons, Inc; 2002.
- Farrell GM. The development of virtual education: A global perspective. A study of current trends in the virtual delivery of education. Canada: Open Learning Agency, Attn; 1999.
- de Jong T, Linn MC, Zacharia ZC. Physical and virtual laboratories in science and engineering education. Science. 2013;340(6130):305–8. doi: 10.1126/science.1230579. [PubMed: 23599479].
- Kleinheksel AJ. Virtual patients in health professions education. In: Stefaniak J, editor. Advancing medical education through strategic instructional design. Hershey, PA: IGI Global; 2017. p. 245–61. doi:10.4018/978-1-5225-2098-6.ch012.
- Bertram J, Moskaliuk J, Cress U. Virtual training: Making reality work? Comput Human Behav. 2015; 43: 284–92. doi: 10.1016/j.chb.2014.10.032.
- Alonso-Díaz L, Gutiérrez-Esteban P, Yuste-Tosina R. Training for employment through virtual training models: Description of a research project. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2014;139:456–63. doi:10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.08.041.
- McLaughlin JE, Rhoney DH. Comparison of an interactive e-learning preparatory tool and a conventional downloadable handout used within a flipped neurologic pharmacotherapy lecture. Curr Pharm Teach Learn. 2015;7(1):12–9. doi: 10.1016/j.cptl.2014.09.016.
- Wiecha J, Heyden R, Sternthal E, Merialdi M. Learning in a virtual world: Experience with using second life for medical education. J Med Internet Res. 2010;12(1). e1. doi: 10.2196/jmir.1337. [PubMed:20097652].[PubMed Central: PMC2821584].
- Baranov AV. Virtual students’ laboratories in the physics practicum of the Technical University. 2016 13th International Scientific-Technical Conference on Actual Problems of Electronics Instrument Engineering (APEIE). Novosibirsk, Russia. IEEE; 2016. p. 326–8.
- Miki T, Iwai T, Kotani K, Dang J, Sawada H, Miyake M. Development of a virtual reality training system for endoscope-assisted submandibular gland removal. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2016; 44(11): 1800–5. doi:10.1016/j.jcms.2016.08.018. [PubMed: 27713053].
- Bahadorani M, Changiz T. [The effectiveness of three methods of teaching medline to medical students: Online, face to face and combined educationalmethods]. Iran J Med Educ. 2006;6(2):35–43. Persian.
- Pakseresht S, Khalili-Sabet M, Vahedi MA, Monfared A. [Comparative study for knowledge and attitudes of virtual and non-virtual students towards e-learning]. Res Med Educ. 2017;8(4):61–8. Persian. doi:10.18869/acadpub.rme.8.4.61.
- Hooman HA.[Handbook on meta-analysis in scientific research]. Tehran:Samt; 2012. Persian.
- Cohen J. Statistical power analysis for the behavioural sciences. 2nd ed. Hillsdale, New Jercy: Lawrence Earlbaum Associate; 1988.
- Ghorbanizadeh V. [Meta-analysis method with CMA2 software]. Tehran: Baztab Publishing; 2014. Persian.
- Shahsavari Esfahani S, Beigi P, Behin Aien N, Ayatollahi AR. [Teaching nursing students about the basic principles of infection control: Programmed instruction or lecture method]. Iran J Med Educ. 2004; 5(1):23–30. Persian.
- Hashemi S, Salaree MM, Salaree M, Delavari AA, Khoshsima S. [The comparison of learning levels in chemical element nursing with three approaches: Web-based electronics training, multi-media software packages and lecturing]. Educ Strategies Med Sci. 2016;9(1):26–33.Persian.
- Noohi E, Alipoor E, Bahaadinbeigi K. [Comparison of the effect of direct and distant study skills training on study methods and satisfaction of Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Iran, undergraduate students]. Strides Dev Med Educ. 2016;12(5):701–8. Persian.
- Sheikh Abu Masoudi R, Soltani Molla Yaghobi N. [Comparison the effect of electronic learning and teaching based on lecture on knowledge of nursing students about heart dysrhythmias in 2014: A short report]. J Rafsanjan Univ Med Sci. 2015;14(4):339–44. Persian.
- Nasiri M, Nasiri M, Davaepanah M, Adavishi S. [Comparing the effects of lecture and electronic educational methods on nursing students’ knowledge and attitude towards electroconvulsive therapy]. Educ Dev Jundishapur. 2015;4(5):321–30. Persian.
- Omrani S, Fardanesh H, Ebrahimzade I, Sarmadi MR, Rezaei M. [Comparing the effects of lecture-based and e-learning methods on learning andmotivation of participants in continuingmedical education]. Strides Dev Med Educ. 2013;9(2):143–52. Persian.
- Zolfaghari M, Mehrdad N, Parsa Yekta Z, Salmani Barugh N, Bahrani N. [The effect of lecture and e-learningmethods on learningmother and child health course in nursing students]. Irani J Med Educ. 2007; 7(1):31–9. Persian.
- Moravej F, Koleini N, Shams B. [In last decades the technology was outside the education but these days all the universities are eager to use new technologies for improving the quality of education]. J Isfahan Med Sch. 2011;28(120). Persian.
- Ghezelghash A, Atashzadeh Shourideh F, Alavi Majd H, Yaghmaei F. [Comparing methods of lecturing, problem solving and self-learning via internet to learn proper interpretation of electrocardiogram among nursing student]. Iran J Nurs Res. 2008;3(10-11):7–14. Persian.
- Nourozi HM, Rokhi F, Karimi Moonaghi H. [Comparison of videobased instruction and instructor demonstration on learning of practical skills in nursing students]. Iran J Med Educ. 2013;13(7):571–6. Persian.
- Karimi-Moneghi H, Valaei N, Mortazavi F. [The effect of video-based instruction versus demonstration on learning of clinical skills]. J Gorgan Univ Med Sci. 2003;5(2):77–82. Persian.
- Pishgooie AH, Atashzadeh Shurideh F, Barbaz AH, Zareiyan A. [Comparison of three instructional methods for drug calculation skill in nursing critical care courses: Lecturing, problem solving, and computer-assisted self-learning]. Iran J Med Educ. 2012;12(6):420–9.Persian.
- Sharifi F, Feizi A, Artishdar E. [Knowledge and satisfaction of medical students with two methods of education for endocrine pathophysiology course: E-learning and lecture in classroom]. J Med Educ Dev.2013;6(11):30–40. Persian.
- Saeedinejat S, Vafaeenajar A. [The effect of e-learning on students’ educational success]. Iran J Med Educ. 2011;11(1):1–9. Persian.
- Kuhpayehzadeh J, Khoshnevisan MH, Beyranland A. [Comparison of the two virtual and traditional teaching methods in learning the course of the "introduction to dental equipment and their maintenance" for the students of the PhD General Dentistry at Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences]. Razi J Med Sci. 2016;23(143):63–70. Persian.
- Rabiepoor S, KhajeAli N, Sadeghi E. [Comparison the effect of webbased education and traditional education on midwifery students about survey of fetus health]. Educ Strategies Med Sci. 2016;9(1):8–15.Persian.
- Zeraati M, Zakipour M, Aghabararian N. [Comparison of lecture and network-based educationalmethods on improving the academic performance of students; Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences].Educ Strategy Med Sci. 2015;8(4):215–22. Persian.
- Nourian A, Nourian A, Ebnahmadi A, Akbarzadeh Bagheban A, Khoshnevisan MH. [Comparison of e-learning and traditional classroom instruction ofdental public health for dental students of Shahid Beheshti Dental School during 2010-2011]. Shahid Beheshti Univ Dent J.2012;30(3):174–83. Persian.
- Borhani F, Vatanparast M, Abbaszadeh A, Seyfadini R. [The effect of training in virtual environment on nursing students attitudes toward virtual learning and its relationship with learning style]. Iran J Med Educ. 2012;12(7):508–17. Persian.
- Karimkhanlooey Q, Mosavi Nasab SN, Fatazi A. [A study of the achievement of medical and pharmay students in the online versus traditional ESP course]. J Med Educ Dev. 2009;2(2):13–6. Persian.
- Mousavi A, Motavassel Arani M, Hedayati AA, Zolfaghari M, Haeri Mehrizi A. The effectiveness of virtual training of islamic culture and civilization course on attitude, learning and satisfaction of students in Tehran University of Medical Sciences. Interdiscip J Virtual Learn Med Sci. 2016;7(2). e12166. doi:10.5812/ijvlms.12166.
- Shahsavari Isfahani S, Mosallanejad L, Sobhanian S. [The effect of virtual and traditional methods on students learning and competency–based skills]. J Hormozgan Univ Med Sci. 2010; 14(3): 184–90.Persian.
- Khoobi M, Ahmadi Hedayat M, Mohamadi N, Parvizi S, Haghani H, Izadibidani F. [A comparison of nursing students’ satisfaction in compact disc-based education vs. Traditional education]. Iran J Med Educ. 2015;15:89–97. Persian.
- Motevasselian M, Nasiriani K. [The comparison effect of CD-ROM and demonstration method of measuring of vital sing skills in nursing students]. J Nurs Educ. 2014;3(2):41–7. Persian.
- Ghanbari A, Atrkar Roushan Z. [A comparison between education by compact disc and booklet on learning outcome in nursing and midwifery students about breast self examination]. J Guilan Univ Med Sci. 2004;12(48):33–9. Persian.
- Tahmasbi M, Alipor Firoz Abadi L, Cheki M, Behrozi A, Ogbehi A. [Comparing learning level and students’ attitudes toward radiology training through the use of computed tomography simulators and traditionally training devices at Ahwaz University of Medical Sciences]. Educ Dev Jundishapur. 2014; 5(3):207–13. Persian.
- Dadgostarnia M, Vafamehr V. [Comparing the effectiveness of two educational approaches of " electronic learning and training in small groups" and" training only in small groups" in teaching physical examination]. Iran J Med Educ. 2010;10(1):11–8. Persian.
- Mohammadbeigi A, Mohammadsalehi N, Arsang Jang S, Ansari H, Ghaderi E. [A study on the effect of lecture-based and CD-based educational methods on cognitive learning of research methods course intudents of Qom University of Medical Sciences, Iran]. Qom Univ Med Sci J. 2015;2015(9):5. Persian.
- Naseri M, Ahangari Z, Shantiaee Y, Rasekhi J, Kangarlou A. [The efficacy of an endodontic instructionalmultimedia program for enhancing the knowledge and skills of dental students]. J Islamic Dent Assoc Iran. 2013;25(2):141–7. Persian.
- Khazaei SJ, Shahbazian B, Montazeri AS, Abbasi A. [The impact of educational software designed on operating room students’ learning of practical skills]. Res Med Educ. 2016;7(4):13–9. Persian. doi:10.18869/acadpub.rme.7.4.13.
- Khatooni M, Alimoradi Z, Samiei-Seiboni F, Shafiei Z, Atashi V. [The impact of an educational software designed about fundamental of nursing skills on nursing students’ learning of practical skills]. J Clin Nurs Midwifery. 2014;3(1):9–16. Persian.
- Gilavand A, Shooriabi M, Shahzadeh B. [The impact of application of mobile educational software (DMOTMC) on promoting students’ awareness of dental treatment of patients with systemic diseases]. J Med Educ Dev. 2016;9(23):31–41. Persian.
- Khoobi M, Mohammadi N, Ahmadi Hedayat M, Ghiyasvandiyan S, Varaei S. [Comparison of the nursing students’ learning in two teaching methods using CD and training through traditional method]. J Nurs Educ. 2017;5(6):18–23. Persian.
- Babazade Kamangar M, Jahanian I, Gholinai H, Abbas Zadeh H. [A preliminary study of the effect of mobile-based education on dental students’ learning in practical course of oral pathology]. J Med Educ Dev.2016;9(22):21–6. Persian.
- Naderi F, Ayati M, Zare Bidaki M, Akbari Bourang M. [The effect of mobile learning on metacognitive self-regulation and attitudes of students of allied health sciences]. Iran J Med Educ. 2014; 13(12): 1001–10.Persian.
- Nasiri M, Nasiri M, Adarvishi S, Hadigol T. [Anatomy education through mobile learning compering to lecture is more effective on medicine students’ knowledge retention]. J Med Educ Dev. 2014; 7(14): 94–103. Persian.
- Adel Mashhadsari F, Ataei G. [The effect of web-based education on final course grades of physics in radiology students]. Res Med Educ.2013;5(1):62–7. Persian.
- Hosseini T, Torabi SS, Shayan N, Ismaeel Poor M, Ashoori J. [Comparing the effects of web-based teaching and cognitive and metacognitive learning strategies on nursing students’academic achievement and self-efficacy, Islamic Azad University, Pishva Branch]. Interdiscip J Virtual Learn Med Sci.2015;6(2):1–10. Persian.
- Rashidi Fakari F, Kordi M, Mazloom SR, Khadivzadeh T, Tara M, Akhlaghi F. [Comparing the effect of traditional, web based and simulation training on midwifery students’ clinical competence in postpartum hemorrhage management]. J Mazandaran Univ Med Sci. 2015;25(123):65–77. Persian.
- Mohammadshahi M, Hosseini Ahangari SA, Hosseini SA, Haidari F. [Comparing two different teaching methods: Traditional and teblogbased teaching (WBT) by group discussion]. Educ Dev Jundishapur.2014;5(2). Persian.
- Okhovati M, Moradzadeh M, Zolala F. [The effect of technology in information searching skills via Wiki to the medical students]. Strides Dev Med Educ. 2014;11(2):139–52. Persian.
- Khoshsima S, Salari MM, Tadrisi SD, Daneshmandi M, Mahdizade S. [Comparison of nurses learning level by multimedia and web-based methods in teaching nursing care of chemical accidents]. Educ Strategies Med Sci. 2013;6(3):129–34. Persian.
- Baghaie R, Rasouli D, Rahmani A, Mohammadpour Y, Jafarizade H. [Effect of web-based education on cardiac disrhythmia learning in nursing student of Urmia University of Medical Sciences]. Iran J Med Educ.2012;12(4):240–8. Persian.