Document Type : Original Article
Department of Immunology, Faculty of Medicine, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran
Faculty of Medicine, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran
Background Since medical students play an important role in public health system as well as the treatment of patients, the need for critical thinking in them is extensively felt. The current study aimed at evaluating the level of critical thinking disposition (CTD) in the first- and last-year medical students and its association with goal orientation in Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences in 2016. Methods The current cross sectional study used critical thinking disposition inventory (CTDI) developed by Rudd and Ricketts, and achievement goal questionnaire-revised (AGQ-R) developed by McGregor and Elliot to collect data. The questionnaires were distributed among 255 students of which 204 (80%) students completed them. Data were analyzed using -test and Pearson correlation coefficient. Results Of the 204 studied subjects, 104 were the first-year and 100 the last-year medical students. The mean age of the first and last year of medical students was 18.930.86 and 24.601.31 years, respectively. Moreover, 47 first-year and 66 last-year subjects were female. The mean score of CTD for the first- and last-year students were 69.82 ± 10.60 and 71.48 ± 11.86, respectively, lower than the average range. Based on the -test results, there was no significant difference between this group students (P = 0.310). The mean score of CTD and AGQ for all the study participants was 70.75 ± 11.12 and 28.22 ± 7.76, respectively; a significant correlation was observed between critical thinking disposition and achievement goal orientation (P = 0.001, r = 0.294). Conclusions The results of the current study indicated that the CTD score was lower than average range in the first- and last-year students; besides, lack of difference between first and last year students emphasized that educational processes should be propelled toward employment of approaches to promote and strengthen critical thinking disposition.
- Lyutykh E. Practicing critical thinking in an educational psychology classroom: Reflections from a cultural-historical perspective. Educ Stud. 2009;45(4):377–91. doi: 10.1080/00131940903066263.
- Sahin S. A , Tunca N , Altinkurt Y , Yilmaz K . Relationship between professional values and critical thinking disposition of sciencetechnology and mathematics teachers. Eurasia J Math Sci Technol Educ. 2016;12(1). doi: 10.12973/eurasia.2016.1371a.
- Schmaltz RM, Jansen E, Wenckowski N. Redefining critical thinking: Teaching students to think like scientists. Front Psychol. 2017;8:459. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2017.00459. [PubMed: 28424640]. [PubMed Central: PMC5372826].
- Profetto-McGrath J. The relationship of critical thinking skills and critical thinking dispositions of baccalaureate nursing students. J Adv Nurs. 2003;43(6):569–77. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2648.2003.02755.x. [PubMed: 12950562].
- Kaya H, Senyuva E, Bodur G. Developing critical thinking disposition and emotional intelligence of nursing students: A longitudinal research. Nurse Educ Today. 2017;48:72–7. doi:10.1016/j.nedt.2016.09.011. [PubMed: 27721088].
- Salsali M, Tajvidi M, Ghiyasvandian S. Critical thinking dispositions of nursing students in Asian and non-Asian countries: A literature review. Glob J Health Sci. 2013;5(6):172–8. doi:10.5539/gjhs.v5n6p172. [PubMed: 24171885]. [PubMed Central: PMC4776879].
- Ricketts JD, Rudd RD. Critical thinking skills of selected youth leaders: The efficacy of critical thinking dispositions, leadership, and academic performance. J Agricult Educ. 2005;46(1):32–43. doi:10.5032/jae.2005.01032.
- Jin G, Bierma TJ, Broadbear JT. Critical thinking among environmental health undergraduates and implications for the profession. J Environ Health. 2004;67(3):15-20. quiz 29-30. [PubMed: 15510695].
- Sharples JM, Oxman AD, Mahtani KR, Chalmers I, Oliver S, Collins K, et al. Critical thinking in healthcare and education. BMJ. 2017;357:j2234. doi: 10.1136/bmj.j2234. [PubMed: 28512135].
- Kahlke R, White J. Critical thinking in health sciences education: Considering “three waves”. Creat Educ. 2013;4(12):21–9. doi:10.4236/ce.2013.412A1004.
- Maleki Z, Rezaee M. [Medical sciences students’ critical thinking skills and the effect of the university curriculum: A literature review]. Sci J Rehabilit Med. 2016;4(4):156–65. Persian.
- World Federation For Medical Education. Basic medical education WFME global standards for quality improvement. Denmark: University of Copenhagen; 2012. https://www.um.es/documents/1935287/1936044/Revision_of_Standards_for_Basic_Medical_Education_FINAL_260912.pdf/5866f7aff7fc-4f9a-a7e6-eb054b7795c3.
- Taheri A, Azadeh F, Moradi-Joo M, Yousefianzadeh O. [Surveying critical thinking dispositions between freshmen and senior students in school of allied medical sciences in 2012-2013 academic year]. J Payavard Salamat. 2017;11(3):1–9. Persian.
- Ross D, Loeffler K, Schipper S, Vandermeer B, Allan GM. Do scores on three commonly used measures of critical thinking correlate with academic success of health professions trainees? A systematic review and meta-analysis. Acad Med. 2013;88(5):724–34. doi:10.1097/ACM.0b013e31828b0823. [PubMed: 23524925].
- Azizi SM, Zare H, Almasi H. [The correlation of critical thinking disposition and achievement goal orientation with student entrepreneurial characteristics]. Iran J Med Educ. 2016;16(24):200–9. Persian.
- Gezer N, Yildirim B, Ozaydin E. Factors in the critical thinking disposition and skills of intensive care nurses. J Nurs Care. 2017;6(2). doi:10.4172/2167-1168.1000390.
- Barkhordary M. Comparing critical thinking disposition in baccalaureate nursing students at different grades and its relationship with state anxiety. Iran J Med Educ. 2012;11(7):779–88.
- Akhoundzadeh K, Ahmari Tehran H, Salehi S, Abedini Z. [Critical thinking in nursing education in Iran]. Iran J Med Educ. Persian.
- Faal Ostadzar N. [Critical thinking dispositions among medical students in two stages: Basic medical sciences and pre-internship]. Iran J Med Educ. 2013;12(10):778–85. Persian.
- Kermansaravi F, Navidian A, Kaykhaei A. Critical thinking dispositions among junior, senior and graduate nursing students in Iran. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2013;83:574–9. doi:10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.06.109.
- Khodamoradi K, Seyed Zakerin M, Shahabi M, Yaghmaie F, Alavi Majd H. [Comparing critical thinking skills of first-and last-term baccalaureate students of nursing, midwifery and occupational therapy of medical universities of Tehran city]. Med Sci J Islam Azad Univ Tehran Med Branch. 2011;21(2):134–40. Persian.
- Elliot AJ, McGregor HA. A 2 X 2 achievement goal framework. J Pers Soc Psychol. 2001;80(3):501–19. doi: 10.1037/0022-35188.8.131.521. [PubMed:11300582].
- Pakmehr H, Mirdrogi F, Ghanaei A, Karami M. [The confirmatory factor analysis of critical thinking disposition scale (CTDS) in school students]. Educ Measurem. 2013;3(11):33–54. Persian.
- Ning HK. A psychometric evaluation of the achievement goal questionnaire–revised in Singapore secondary students. J Psychoeduc Assessment. 2016;35(4):424–36. doi: 10.1177/0734282916629850.
- Haghshenas SM, Sajjadian SS. [Critical thinking disposition in medical students in Busher university of medical Sciences.] [dissertation]. Busher: Busher University of Medical Sciences; 2011. Persian.
- Iranfar S, Sepahi V, Khoshay A, Rezaei M, Matin BK, Keshavarzi F, et al. [Critical thinking disposition among medical students of Kermanshah university of medical sciences]. Educ Res Med Sci. 2012;1(2):17–22. Persian.
- Rezaeian M, Zare-Bidaki M, Bakhtar M, Afsharmanesh K. [Comparison of the critical thinking skills among medical students in different educational levels in Rafsanjan university of medical sciences in 2013]. J Rafsanjan Univ Med Sci. 2015;13(8):715–24. Persian.
- Gharib M, Rabieian M, Salsali M, Hadjizadeh E, Kashani AS, Khalkhali H. Critical thinking skills and critical thinking dispositions in freshmen and senior students of health care management. Iran J Med Educ. 2009;9(2).
- Chan ZCY. A systematic review on critical thinking in medical education. Int J Adolesc Med Health. 2016;30(1). doi: 10.1515/ijamh-2015-0117. [PubMed: 27089400].
- Du X, Emmersen J, Toft E, Sun B. PBL and critical thinking disposition in Chinesemedical students–a randomized cross-sectional study. J problem based Learn High Educ. 2013;1(1):72–83.
- Mousazadeh S, Momennasab M, Bakhtiari T, Reisi M. Nursing students’ disposition toward critical thinking and its relationship with their academic performance. J Nurs Educ. 2016;5(4):20–6. doi:10.21859/jne-05043.
- Dehghani M, Mirdoraghi F, Pakmehr H. The role of graduate students’ achievement goals in their critical thinking disposition. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2011;15:2426–30. doi:10.1016/j.sbspro.2011.04.121.
- Poondej C, Koul R, Sujivorakul C. Achievement goal orientation and the critical thinking disposition of college students across academic programmes. J Further High Educ. 2013;37(4):504–18. doi:10.1080/0309877x.2011.645463.
- Mattern RA. College students’ goal orientations and achievement. Int J Teach Learn HighEduc. 2005;17(1):27–32.