Document Type : Review
Modeling in Health Research Center, Shahrekord University of Medical Sciences, Shahrekord, Iran
Virtual University of Medical Sciences, Ministry of Health and Medical Education, Tehran, Iran
Context Communication, as an essential human skill, is one of the most influential factors in the performance of healthcare workers. In fact, the establishment of effective communication with the recipients of healthcare services and patients can increase their satisfaction and quality of life. Due to the paucity of comprehensive research in this area, the present study aimed to investigate the barriers and facilitating factors concerning communication among healthcare workers. Evidence Acquisition This systematic review was conducted by searching PubMed, Scopus, Web of Science, MagIran, Iranmedex, Google Scholar, and SID databases, using the following keywords: “communication”, “communication barrier”, “communication facilitator”, “health system”, “nurse”, “physician”, “faculty member”, “teacher”, “student”, “health manager”, and “patient”. All searches were conducted within a 10-year period from 2008 to 2018. Results According to our literature review, 44 articles (38 quantitative and 6 qualitative) met the inclusion criteria. In these studies, “pleasant greetings” and “tidy appearance” were the most important factors facilitating the patient-physician relationship, “teacher’s modesty”, “patience”, and “respect for students” were the main factors facilitating the teacher-student relationship, and finally, “responsibility”, “empathy”, and “companionship” were identified as the most significant factors in the patient-health care worker relationship. On the other hand, the most important barriers to communication in the clinical setting were “poor introduction of the healthcare provider to patients”, “high workload and fatigue”, and “lack of training on the principles of communication skills and environmental factors”. Conclusions Based on the findings, identifying the facilitating factors and barriers to communication is the most important step in the management of health services. Communication skills training can have a beneficial effect on the health education programs for the healthcare staff. In addition, it can improve the efficacy of health services.
- Torabipour A, Zahiri M. [Study on influencing factors relationship between teacher and student in view of students of Ahvaz University of Medical Sciences]. Jundishapur Sci Med J. 2012;11(5):549–57. Persian.
- Rostami H, Rahmani A, Ghahramanian A. [The viewpoint of nurses about professional relationship between nurses and physicians]. J Gorgan Bouyeh Fac Nurs Midwifery. 2010;7(1):63–72. Persian.
- Shidfar M. [The textbook of public health]. Mashhad: Mashhad University of Medical Science; 2006. Persian.
- Shabani H. [instrument skills (methods and techniques of teaching)]. 3rd ed. Organization for the Study and Compilation of Humanities Books of Universities: Samt; 2007. Persian.
- Lawton E. Body language and the first line manager. Oxford, England: Chandos Pub; 2006.
- Sabbahi Bigdeli M, Afazel M, Arani S, Hamidreza S, Mirhosseini F, Shahri S. [Students’ viewpoints on advisors’ nonverbal communication skills: A survey in schools of health and allied health sciences in Kashan University of Medical Sciences]. Iran J Med Educ. 2012;12(9):656–65. Persian.
- Ahmad SS, Merican I, Merican F, Ahmad IN, Md Zani R. The relationship of non-verbal communication cues and student satisfaction. Elixir Mgmt Arts. 2009;42:6267–72.
- Vafaei Z, Javadnoori M, Najar S, Latifi SM. [Barriers of effective communication between midwives and parturient women in hospitals of Khuzestan Province, Iran, 2012]. Iran J Obstetr Gynecol Infertil. 2013;15(40):10–5. Persian.
- Tavakol M, Murphy R, Torabi S. A needs assessment for a communication skills curriculum in Iran. Teach Learn Med. 2005;17(1):36–41. doi:10.1207/s15328015tlm1701_7. [PubMed: 15691812].
- Ahmadi A, Soori H. Important statistical points to improve and promote the methodology of the articles on medical sciences, particularly nephrology and kidney; a review article. J Renal Inj Prev. 2015;4(1):4–8. doi: 10.12861/jrip.2015.02. [PubMed: 25848638]. [PubMed Central: PMC4381032].
- Ahmadi A, Soori H. [Important statistical points to improve and promote the methodology of the articles on medical: A systematic review article for authors and reviewers]. J Shahrekord Univ Med Sci. 2015;16(6):154–62. Persian.
- Ghazi Mir Saeed J, Moradi Joo M, Taheri A, Yousefianzadeh O. [Identifying M.A and PhD students’ point of view regarding effective factors in establishing communication between students and faculty members of School of Allied Health at Tehran University of Medical Sciences in 2012- 2013 academic year]. J Med Educ Dev. 2016;9(22):95–102. Persian.
- Obeidi N. [Effective factors on the communication between students and faculty members in the viewpoint of paramedical students]. Educ Strategy Med Sci. 2010;3(3):133–6. Persian.
- Bahador H, Faraji Armaki A, Ghorbani R, Dehghani E. [Effective factors on communication between teacher and student medical students of basic sciences level view]. Educ Strategy Med Sci. 2014; 6(4): 195–200.Persian.
- Ghadami A, Salehi B, Sajadi S, Naji H. [Students’ points of view regarding effective factors in establishing communication between students and faculty members]. Iran J Med Educ. 2007;7(1):149–54. Persian.
- Rezaeian M, Zare-Bidaki M, Bakhtar M, Kargar S. [A survey on communication skills of Rafsanjan University of Medical Sciences faculty members in 2013]. J Rafsanjan Univ Med Sci. 2015;14(5):417–26. Persian.
- Haghighi S, Rokhafroz D, Sayadi N. [The study of the interaction effects between students and instructors from Shushtar nursing students a perspective]. Future Med Educ J. 2015;5(4):20–4. Persian.
- Abedini M, Abassi A, Mortazavi F, Bijari B. The effective factors on the communication between students and faculty members from student’s prospective in Birjand University of Medical Sciences. Proc Soc Behav Sci. 2013;83:94–8. doi: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.06.018.
- Abedini M, Abassi A, Mortazavi F, Bijari B. [Students’ viewpoint of factors affecting teacher-students communication, a study in Birjand University of Medical Sciences]. Iran J Med Educ. 2012;12(6):439–47. Persian.
- Norouzinia R, Noorisepehr M, Heidari A, Kabir K. [Communication skills of academic members and it’s the relation with their evaluation outcome in Alborz University of Medical Sciences]. Dev Strategies Med Educ. 2014;1(1):64–71. Persian.
- Samyari H, Rasouli S, Valaei N, Mokabberinia M, Hemmati MA. [Assessment of communication skills and related factors in dental school teachers in 2010]. Res Med. 2013;36(5):24–9. Persian.
- Peyman H, Yaghoobi M, Sadeghi Far J, Saye Miri K, Alizadeh M, Yamani N, et al. [Assessment of interpersonal communication skill levels in lecturers of Ilam University of Medical Sciences: A case study]. Iran J Med Educ. 2012;11(9):1436–42. Persian.
- Dehnavi R, Dehghani MR, Ebrahimipoor H, Noori Hekmat S, Mehrolhasani MH, Sorodi Nasab S, et al. [Communication skills of undergraduate students’ advisors in Kerman University of Medical Sciences-2011]. Strides Dev Med Educ. 2012;8(2):189–94. Persian.
- Yaghoubinia F, Heydari A, Latifnejad Roudsari R. [Student-educator relationship in clinical nursing education: Qualitative content analysis]. Med Surg Nurs J. 2013;2(1-2):63–71. Persian.
- Rezaei F, Askari HA. [Checking the relationship between physicians’ communication skills and outpatients’ satisfaction in the clinics of Isfahan Al-Zahra (S) Hospital in 2011]. J Educ Health Promot. 2014;3:105. Persian.
- Barati M, Moini B, Afsar A, Ahmad Panah M. [Professional communication skills of medical practitioners city in the spring of 2010]. Sci J Hamdan Univ Med Sci. 2012;19(1):62–9. Persian.
- Bigdeli M, Hashemi Nazari SS, Khodakarim S, Mafi H, Broodati H, Mousavi M, et al. [Factors affecting the relationship between doctor and patient and their effects on the self-care behaviors of type II diabetes patients referred to the health houses under the supervision of Abyek Health Center]. Razi J Med Sci. 2015;22(137):63–74. Persian.
- Banidavoodi S. [The comparison of characteristics of effective teaching from students’ perspective in Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences]. Bi J Med Educ Dev Center (EDC) Babol Univ Med Sci. 2014;2(2):7–13. Persian.
- Zeyghami Mohammadi S, Haghighi S. [The association between nurses’ communication skills and nurse-physician relationship and collaboration in Alborz Hospital of Karaj in 2008]. Med Sci J. 2009; 19(2):121–7. Persian.
- Farajzadeh S, Noohi E, Mortazavi H. [Interns’ communication with patients during interview: The perspectives of patient and observer]. Iran J Med Educ. 2006;6(2):79–86. Persian.
- Moin A, Anbari Akmal K. [The patient-physician communication]. Daneshvar Med. 2010;17(85):71–80. Persian.
- Khatami S, Asefzadeh S. [Communication skills of medical interns of Qazvin UMS]. J Qazvin Univ Med Sci. 2007;11(3):79–81. Persian.
- Mirhaghjou SN, Nayebi N, Majd Teymouri R, Kazemnejad LE. [Communication skills and related factors within patient by nursing student]. J Holistic Nurs Midwifery. 2015;25(2):93–101. Persian.
- Ardalan F, Bagheri-Saweh MI, Etemadi-Sanandaji M, Nouri B, Valiee S. Barriers of nurse-patient communication from the nurses’ point of view in educational hospitals affiliated to Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences. Nurs Prac Today. 2018;5(3):326–34.
- Mohammadi I, Mozafari M, Jamshid Beigi E. [Barriers to effective nurse-patient communication from perspective of nurses employed in educational hospitals of Ilam]. J Neyshabur Univ Med Sci. 2014; 2(3): 20–7. Persian.
- Ramezanli S, Kargar M, Talebizadeh M, Taheri L, Zahedi R. [Barriers of nurse-patient’s effective communication from nurse’s viewpoint]. J Educ Ethics Nurs. 2013;2(4):1–6. Persian.
- Norouzinia R, Aghabarari M, Shiri M, Karimi M, Samami E. Communication Barriers Perceived by Nurses and Patients. Glob J Health Sci. 2015;8(6):65–74. doi: 10.5539/gjhs.v8n6p65. [PubMed:26755475]. [PubMed Central: PMC4954910].
- Rahdar Z, Mir Baluch Zehi A, Dadkhah S. Investigating the viewpoint of nursing students in relation to the barriers to effective communication between nurses and patients in the hospitals of Iranshahr city, 2015. Soc Sci. 2016;11(9):2006–9.
- Nakhaee S, Nasiri A, Alizade M, Ebrahim Abadi Z. [Factors affecting student-patient relationship: The nursing studentsviewpoints in Birjand University of Medical Sciences]. Iran J Med Educ. 2014;14(8):695– 703. Persian.
- Rajaeian Z, Masoudi Alavi N. Barriers to nursing performance from the perspective of nurses working in intensive care units. Crit Care Nurs. 2018;11(1). e64815. doi: 10.5812/ccn.64815.
- Anoosheh M, Zarkhah S, Faghihzadeh S, Vaismoradi M. Nursepatient communication barriers in Iranian nursing. Int Nurs Rev. 2009;56(2):243–9. doi: 10.1111/j.1466-7657.2008.00697.x. [PubMed:19646175].
- Pejhmankhah S, Farajzadeh Z, Nakhae M, Saadatjoo SA, Kianfar S. [Effective factors in communication with patients and barriers from nurses’ perspective Val-e-Asr Hospital- Birjand]. Modern Care J. 2009;5(1):46–51. Persian.
- Shafipour V, Mohammad E, Ahmadi F. Barriers to nurse-patient communication in cardiac surgery wards: A qualitative study. Glob J Health Sci. 2014;6(6):234–44. doi: 10.5539/gjhs.v6n6p234. [PubMed:25363126]. [PubMed Central: PMC4825530].
- Zamanzadeh V, Rassouli M, Abbaszadeh A, Nikanfar A, Alavi-Majd H, Ghahramanian A. Factors influencing communication between the patients with cancer and their nurses in oncology wards. Indian J Palliat Care. 2014;20(1):12–20. doi: 10.4103/0973-1075.125549. [PubMed:24600177]. [PubMed Central: PMC3931236].
- Aghamolaei T, Hasani L. [Communication barriers among nurses and elderly patients]. Hormozgan Med J. 2011;14(4):312–8. Persian.
- Baraz Pordanjani S, Shariati AA, Alijani RH, Moein MS. [Assessing barriers of nurse-patient’s effective communication in educational hospitals of Ahwaz]. Iran J Nurs Res. 2010;5(16):45–52. Persian.
- Aghabarari M, Mohammadi I, Faraahani Varvani A. [Barriers to application of communicative skills by nurses in nurse-patient interaction: Nurses and patients’perspective]. Iran J Nurs. 2009;22(61):19–31. Persian.
- Rassouli M, Zamanzadeh V, Abbaszadeh A, Nikanafar AR, Alavi-Majd H, Mirza Ahmadi F, et al. [Patient-centered communication barriers: Experiences of patients with cancer, their family members and nurses]. J Urmia Nurs Midwifery Fac. 2014;11(10):753–64. Persian.
- Nobahar M. [Professional communication among nurses, patients, and physicians in intensive cardiac care units: A content analysis]. J Qual Res Health Sci. 2015;4(3):351–62. Persian.
- Loghmani L, Borhani F, Abbaszadeh A. Factors affecting the nursepatients’ family communication in intensive care unit of Kerman: A qualitative study. J Caring Sci. 2014;3(1):67–82. doi:10.5681/jcs.2014.008. [PubMed: 25276750]. [PubMed Central: PMC4134163].
- Mirzakhani N, Fendreski TS, Tabatabae M, Soltani-arabshahi K. [A survey on communication skills of undergraduate student of Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Faculty of Rehabilitation in in the academic year 2011-2012]. Rehab Med. 2014;3(1):51–7. Persian.
- Barati M, Afsar A, Ahmadpanah M. [Assessment of communication skills level among healthcare practitioners]. Sci J Hamadan Univ Med Sci. 2012;19(1):62–9. Persian.
- Kalateh Sadati A, Iman MT, Bagheri Lankarani K. [Conversation strategies in interaction between physician and’competitor’patient]. Razi J Med Sci. 2015;22(134):28–40. Persian.
- Sabzevari S, Soltani Arabshahi S, Shekarabi R, Kouhpayehzadeh Esfahani J. [Nursing students’communication with patients in hospitals affiliated to Kerman University of Medical Sciences]. Iran J Med Educ. 2006;6(1):43–9. Persian.
- Boulding W, Glickman SW, Manary MP, Schulman KA, Staelin R. Relationship between patient satisfaction with inpatient care and hospital readmission within 30 days. Am J Manage Care. 2011; 17(1): 41–8.
- Makoul G. MSJAMA. Communication skills education in medical school and beyond. JAMA. 2003; 289(1):93. doi: 10.1001/jama.289.1.93. [PubMed: 12503986].
- Karami Z, Keyvanara M. [Models of relationship between physicians and patients referring to the Clinic of Isfahan Shahid Beheshti Hospital, 2007]. Strides Dev Med Educ. 2010;6(2):149–56. Persian.
- Lin EC, Chen SL, Chao SY, Chen YC. Using standardized patient with immediate feedback and group discussion to teach interpersonal and communication skills to advanced practice nursing students. Nurse Educ Today. 2013;33(6):677–83. doi: 10.1016/j.nedt.2012.07.002. [PubMed: 22841362].
- Ahmadi A, Hasanzadeh J, Rahimi M, Lashkari L. [Effective factors in the quality of life of patients with type 2 diabetes in Chaharmahal and Bakhteyari province]. J North Khorasan Univ Med Sci. 2011;3(1):7–13. Persian. doi: 10.29252/jnkums.3.1.1.
- Kalunga M. Communication barriers and facilitators between nurses and patients receiving palliative care: A literature review. Sophiahemmet University; 2016.
- Crawley LM, Marshall PA, Lo B, Koenig BA, End-of-Life Care Consensus P. Strategies for culturally effective end-of-life care. Ann Intern Med. 2002;136(9):673–9. doi:10.7326/0003-4819-136-9-00205070-00010. [PubMed: 11992303].
- Meleis A. Theoretical nursing: Development and progress. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2012.
- Maame Kissiwaa Amoah V, Anokye R, Boakye DS, Gyamfi N, Lee A. Perceived barriers to effective therapeutic communication among nurses and patients at Kumasi South Hospital. Cogent Med. 2018; 5(1). doi: 10.1080/2331205x.2018.1459341.
- Keall R, Clayton JM, Butow P. How do Australian palliative care nurses address existential and spiritual concerns? Facilitators, barriers and strategies. J Clin Nurs. 2014;23(21-22):3197–205. [PubMed:25453124].
- Strang S, Henoch I, Danielson E, Browall M, Melin-Johansson C. Communication about existential issues with patients close to death–nurses’ reflections on content, process and meaning. Psychooncology. 2014;23(5):562–8. doi: 10.1002/pon.3456. [PubMed: 24323829].