Document Type : Original Article
Health Foresight and Innovation Research Center, Institute for Futures Studies in Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Health Monitoring Research Center, School of Medicine, Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences, Yazd, Iran
Management and Leadership in Medical Education Research Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Health Services Management Research Center, Institute for Futures Studies in Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Research Center for Modeling in Health, Institute for Futures Studies in Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Background The main objective of medical education development centers is to improve the quality of medical education. However, after more than two decades since the formation of these centers, they are still facing numerous challenges. Objectives Given the importance of these centers, this study was conducted to identify their challenges. Methods A qualitative study was carried out in 2013 on 40 managers of Iranian medical education development centers. Data was collected during a national conference held in Tehran in the form of a questionnaire and analyzed using content analysis. Results Key challenges of the centers were identified to be resource shortage, continuous modifications in policies, weak management, structural problems, lack of communication, regulatory problems and centralization in decision making. The key challenges were divided into 17 sub-challenges. Conclusions Although decades have passed since the formation of medical education development centers, they are still facing serious challenges. To unveil the true potential of these centers in improving the quality of education, integrated interventions were addressed in this study to help reduce identified challenges.
- Kalantari A, Amiresmaili M, Ghazizadeh M, Zareei J, Hosseini S. [Job satisfaction of the staff of Kerman blood centers]. Sci J Iran Blood Transfus Organ. 2016;13(2):114–21. Persian.
- WHO. Health systems: Improving performance. Geneva: WHO; 2000.
- Rezaei B. [Quality of clinical education (A case study in the viewpoints of nursing and midwifery students in Islamic Azad University, Falavarjan Branch)]. Educ Strategy Med Sci. 2016;9(2):107–17. Persian.
- Jalili Z, Nouhi E, Malekzadeh A. [Activities of Medical Educational Development Center from the views of the faculty members of Kerman Medical Sciences University]. Strides Dev Med Educ. 2004;1(1). Persian.
- Esteghamati A, Shoghi Shafagh Aria F. [Educational development centers in universities of medical sciences and health services: Past, present]. Iran J Med Educ. 2002;2:22–3. Persian.
- Momtazmanesh N, Shoghi Shafagh Aria F. [Educational development centers (EDCs) in universities of medical sciences: Treatment and medical education, roles, position and achievements]. Teb va Tazkiyeh. 2010;76:59–64. Persian.
- Haghdoost AA, Emami M, Dehnavieh R, Momtazmanesh N, Shoghi Shafagh Aria F, Mehrolhassani MH. [Evaluation of education development centers for medical sciences: Challenges and strategies]. Strides Dev Med Educ. 2015;11(4):407–19. Persian.
- Kalantari AR, Rafiee N, Hosseni S, Noori Hekmat S, Haghdoost AA, Dehnavieh R. Evaluation of the task compliance of medical education development centers from the viewpoint of the managers of the centers. Strides Dev Med Educ. 2019;15(1). doi: 10.5812/sdme.58885.
- Graneheim UH, Lundman B. Qualitative content analysis in nursing research: concepts, procedures and measures to achieve trustworthiness. Nurse Educ Today. 2004;24(2):105–12. doi:10.1016/j.nedt.2003.10.001. [PubMed: 14769454].
- Hsieh HF, Shannon SE. Three approaches to qualitative content analysis. Qual Health Res. 2005; 15(9):1277–88. doi: 10.1177/1049732305276687. [PubMed: 16204405].
- Azizi F. Medical education mission, vision and challenges. 1st ed. Tehran: Ministry of health and medical education; 2003.
- Torabian S, Vosugh Mogadam A, Sedaghat Syahkal M. [Evaluation of some aspects of educational inputs and outputs of community medicine departments in Iran medical sciences schools and universities]. Strides Dev Med Educ. 2007;3(2):95–101. Persian.
- Changiz T, Shater Jalali M, Yamani N. [Exploring the faculty members’ expectations from educational development centers in medical universities: A qualitative research]. Iran J Med Educ. 2013;12(12):947–64.Persian.
- Heidari AA, Shoeibi A, Pourhaji F, Pourhaji F, Movaffaghi Z. [Investigating the awareness, attitude, and rate of satisfaction of Mashhad University of Medical Sciences Board of Education about the mission and position of the studies and Education Development Organization (EDO) and the Educational Development Center (EDC)]. Future Med Educ J. 2014;4(4):20–3. Persian.
- Majdzadeh S, Nejat S, Gholami J, Rashidian A. [Satisfaction and opinions of Tehran University of Medical Sciences academic members on its development programs , 2006]. Payavard. 2008;2(1 and 2):6–17. Persian.
- Ranjbar M, Vahidshahi K. [Effective factors on faculty members’ job satisfaction in Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, School of Medicine, 2006]. Strides Dev Med Educ. 2008;4(2):92–9. Persian.
- Ministry of Health and Medical Education; Educational Development Center. [Accreditation standards of educational development center]. 2010, [cited 2011 March 25]. Persian. Available from: http://edc.behdasht.gov.ir/index.aspx?siteid=180&pageid=20246.
- Fattahi Z, Mousapour N, Haghdoost A. [The trend of alterations in the quality of educational performance in faculty members of Kerman University of Medical Sciences]. Strides Dev Med Educ. 2006;2(2):63–71.Persian.
- Aghamolaei T, Abedini S. [Comparison of self and students’ evaluation of facultymembers in School of Health of Hormozgan University of Medical Sciences]. Iran J Med Educ. 2008;7(2):191–9. Persian.
- Ghafourian Borujerdi M, Shakournia A, Elhampour H. [Evaluation results feed back to faculty members of Ahvaz Medical University and its effect on improving the quality of teaching]. Iran J Med Educ.2003;3(2):41–6. Persian.