Document Type : Original Article
Pathology and Stem Cell Research Center, Afzalipour Kerman University of Medical Siences, Kerman, Iran
Department of Pathology, Bam University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Health Research Center Institute for Futures Studies in Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Background According to the importance of the clinical pathology for diagnosis, decision making regarding preventive and minimally invasive methods, and treatment follow-ups, it is useful to familiarize medical students with better utilization of laboratory tests before clinical practice and incorporate them into the curriculum. Objectives The current study aimed at investigating the quality of education and satisfaction with clinical pathology course among medical students at physiopathology level initiated since 2014 at Kerman University of Medical Sciences for further systematization of the curriculum, and its efficacy in increasing students’ knowledge. Methods In the current interventional study, medical students at physiopathology level were enrolled and, after making necessary coordination with the Deputy of Education, a one-unit clinical pathology course was added to routine (five-unit) physiopathology course for the students attending the second semester of 2013 - 2014 academic year. Two groups of students attending internship program including 42 subjects that took the clinical pathology course and 42 other ones that did not take the course were consecutively enrolled. A questionnaire was distributed among the subjects in the two groups and the obtained data were analyzed with SPSS version 19.0 using chi-square test. Results Overall, the medical students in both groups believed that clinical pathology course was essential for both theoretical and practical education. Most of the students in the two groups perceived that the inclusion of clinical pathology course in physiopathology course was good. Both groups perceived the course as useful for better management of patients in postgraduate studies. Conclusions There is no theoretical and applied academic course with rational systematic training objectives in the clinical pathology field for better utilization of laboratory tests. It highlights the need for paying further attention and planning in this field.
- Molinaro RJ, Winkler AM, Kraft CS, Fantz CR, Stowell SR, Ritchie JC, et al. Teaching laboratory medicine to medical students: Implementation and evaluation. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2012; 136(11): 1423–9. doi: 10.5858/arpa.2011-0537-EP. [PubMed: 23106588]. [PubMed Central:PMC3767850].
- Petriceks AH, Salmi D. Trends in pathology graduate medical education programs and positions, 2001 to 2017. Acad Pathol. 2018;5:2.3742895187655E+15. doi: 10.1177/2374289518765457. [PubMed: 29623293]. [PubMed Central: PMC5881980].
- Smith BR, Aguero-Rosenfeld M, Anastasi J, Baron B, Berg A, Bock JL, et al. Educating medical students in laboratory medicine: a proposed curriculum. Am J Clin Pathol. 2010;133(4):533–42. doi:10.1309/AJCPQCT94SFERLNI. [PubMed: 20231605].
- Bruns DE. Improving training in laboratory medicine. Clin Chim Acta. 2008;393(1):3–4. doi:10.1016/j.cca.2008.03.018. [PubMed: 18420031].
- Omidifar N, Keshtkari A, Dehghani M, Shokripour M. Introduction to clinical pathology: A brief course of laboratory medicine in the field for medical students. J Educ Health Promot. 2017;6:84. doi:10.4103/jehp.jehp_32_17. [PubMed: 29114552]. [PubMed Central:PMC5651662].
- Tabeii H, Safaii A, Tabeii. Z. [Evaluation of clinical skills of medical students of medical sciencesFrom clinical laboratory tests]. JMCIRI. 2009;26(2):201–4. Persian.
- Allami A, Javadi A. Evaluation of medical students pre-internship exam score in pathology before and after integration program of physiopathology level in Qazvin. Res Med Educ. 2013;5(1):31–5. doi:10.18869/acadpub.rme.5.1.31.
- Laposata M. Insufficient teaching of laboratory medicine in us medical schools. Acad Pathol. 2016; 3: 2.3742895166341E+15. doi:10.1177/2374289516634108. [PubMed: 28725761]. [PubMed Central:PMC5497899].
- Smith BR, Kamoun M, Hickner J. Laboratory medicine education at U.S. medical schools: A 2014 status report. Acad Med. 2016;91(1):107–12. doi: 10.1097/ACM.0000000000000817. [PubMed: 26200574]. [PubMed Central: PMC5480607].
- Gottfried EL, Kamoun M, Burke MD. Laboratory medicine education in United States medical schools. Am J Clin Pathol. 1993;100(6):594–8.doi: 10.1093/ajcp/100.6.594. [PubMed: 8249904].
- Talebi A, Mottaghi P, Dadgostarnia M, Noorbakhsh N. Clinical pathology teaching in laboratory by socratic method. Irani J Med Educ. 2011;10(5).
- Nikolic S, Vial PJ, Ros M, Stirling D, Ritz C. Improving the laboratory learning experience: A process to train and manage teaching assistants. IEEE Trans Educ. 2015;58(2):130–9. doi:10.1109/te.2014.2335712.