Document Type : Original Article
Assistant Professor, Health Services Management Research Center, Institute for Futures Studies in Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Professor, Research Center for Hydatid Disease in Iran, School of Medicine, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Master of Science, Health Services Management Research Center, Institute for Futures Studies in Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Assistant Professor, Research Center for Hydatid Disease in Iran, School of Medicine, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Background: Training of expert human resources is one of the main and basic objectives of developed countries. One of the important challenges for attainment of this objective is shortage in funding and financial resources. This is while medical branches, due to being specialized and requiring vast practical courses, need spending considerable financial costs for training competent students.
Objectives: The present study aimed to estimate the costs of training medical parasitology and mycology students at Kerman University of Medical Sciences.
Methods: This was a descriptive research. The data collection tool was a form designed by researchers using various resources. Educational and non-educational costs of the academic year of 2017-2018, with a top-down approach, were analysed to estimate the costs of training and educating post-graduate students. Analyses were made using Microsoft Excel 2013 software.
Results: The costs of educating master students in parasitology, Ph.D. students in parasitology, and master students in mycology in the academic year of 2017-2018 were 11,144, 18,365, and 7,821 USD, respectively. Forty-five percent of the total of educational costs was allocated to training Ph.D. students in parasitology alone, and a major share (81%) of these costs had been paid to human resources.
Conclusion: Our findings indicated that the financial costs of training and educating students in the parasitology and mycology fields are high, needing the prompt attention of the policymakers of the national medical education system.
- Ghasempour S, Rahimniya R, Rajabnezhad Z, Dargahi H. Calculating the Final Cost of Student Training by Activity Based Costing in School of Allied Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences. Payavard. 2016; 10 (1) :104-18. [In Persian]
- Moradi S, Hedayatizadeh-Omran A, Janbabaei G, Alizadeh-Navaei R, Panbehchi M, Geraili B, et al . Activity Based Costing of Educational Services in Faculty of Medicine in Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, Iran, 2015. J Mazandaran Univ Med Sci. 2018; 28 (163):86-92 [In Persian]
- Voss E, de Micheli B, Schöneberg K, Rosini S. Investment In Education And Training. [cited 2017 Nov 14]. Available From: https://www.csee-etuce.org/images/attachments/investment_in_education_and_training-etuc-ceep_0.pdf.
- Rezaian M, Tavakol Kowsari MA, Nave Ebrahim AR. Analyzing the Challenges of Iranian Non-Governmental and Non-Profit Higher Education Universities and Institutions. Journal of Management and Planning In Educational System. 2018;11(2):9-26. [In Persian]
- Johnstone DB, Marcucci PN. Worldwide trends in higher education finance: Cost-sharing, student loans, and the support of academic research. Commissioned paper V Lynn Meek and Dianne Davies. 2007;81: 1-36.
- Foo J, Ilic D, Rivers G, Evans DJ, Walsh K, Haines TP, et al. Using cost-analyses to inform health professions education–The economic cost of pre-clinical failure. Med Teach. 2018 Dec;40(12):1221-1230. doi: 10.1080/0142159X.2017.1410123. [PMID: 29216780].
- Broad M, Crowther D. Activity Based Costing In Universities‐An Inappropriate Technique? Journal of Applied Accounting Research. 2001;6(2):55-89. doi:10.1108/96754260180001028.
- Walsh K. Economic analysis in medical education: definition of essential terms. Med Teach. 2014 Oct;36(10):890-3. doi: 10.3109/0142159X.2014.917161. [PMID: 25072235].
- Esmaeili R, Kianmehr M, Tahanzade AR, Ehtiati M, Ghorbani A, Pourfatemi A, et al. Calculating the Unit Cost of Student Training at Gonabad University of Medical Sciences in 2017: Using a Step-Down Method. Teb va Tazkieh. 2018;27(3):169-78. [In Persian]
- Haghdoost AA, Amirimoghadam M, Loloei M, Baneshi M-R, Sabbah F, Mehrolhassani M-H. Cost analysis of the education of students in School of Public Health Kerman University of Medical Sciences Iran using activitybased costing model. Strides in Development of Medical Education. 2014;11(1):13-22. [In Persian]
- Maelah R, Amir A, Ahmad A, Auzair S, editors. Cost per Student Using ABC Approach: A Case Study. Proceedings of the International Conference on Economics and Business Information; 2011 Oct 25-27; Bangkok, Thailand. 2011.
- Central Bank of the Islamic Republic of Iran. Foreign Exchange Rates. [cited 2020 Dec 10]. Available from: https://www.cbi.ir/exrates/rates_en.aspx.
- Mofid R, Semnani MA, Ostad Jafar F. Study of overall cost of the general practitioner's doctorate degree course in dentistry at Shaheed Beheshti Dental School for the year 1382-1383. Journal of Dental School Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences. 2006;24(3):378-86. [In Persian]
- Rahimniya R, Ram M, Siavashi E, Ghasempour S, Baruni M, KHakian M, et al. Calculating the Cost of Student Services Through Activity Based Costing Method (ABC) at the Department of Student and Cultural Affairs of Tehran University of Medical Sciences in 2011. Interdisciplinary Journal of Virtual Learning in Medical Sciences. 2014;5(2):8-15. [In Persian]
- Rajabi A. Activity Based Costing (ABC), New Outlook for Calculating Cost Price of Students' Education in Different Majors of Medical Group (Case study: Medical Science Universities of Shiraz, Fasa and Yazd). Accounting and Auditing Review. 2011;18(64):35-56. [In Persian]
- Satpathy S, Kant S, Deka R, Chumber S, Verma R, Gupta SK. Determination of the Cost of Training of Undergraduate Medical (MBBS) Student at All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India. Int J Res Foundation Hosp Healthc Adm. 2013;1(1):1-7. doi:10.5005/jp-journals-10035-1001.
- Kojouri J, Lotfi F, Amini M, Pilehvar A, Esmaeilzadeh Z. The Percapita Cost of Training Undergraduate Medical Students in Shiraz School of Medicine 2007. Strides In Development Of Medical Education. 2010;7(1):9-16. [In Persian].
- Yari Tamugheh K, Moradi S, Mohammadi A, Mohammadi K. Cost Of Training Nursing And Midwifery Students By Activity Based Costing At Kurdistan University Of Medical Sciences. Proceedings of the Third International Conference on Accounting, Business Management; 2018 Aug 18; Karaj, Iran. [In Persian]
- Tasavon Gholamhoseini M, Goudarz R, Nikravesh A, Beig Zade Abassi F. Calculating the final cost of the educational services of Kerman school of Management and Information Sciences through activity-based costing. Iran J Med Educ. 2019; 19 :282-292. [In Persian]
- Ebadi Azar FA, Gorj H, Hadian M, Ahari A. Unit cost calculation of student training at different levels trough Activity Base Costing method (ABC) at the School of Management and Medical Information, Iran University of Medical Science: academic year, 2006-2007. Journal of Health Administration. 2006; 9 (24) :23-8. [In Persian]
- Razavi SM, Khaleghnejad Tabari A, Mortazavi Tabatabaei SA, Rajabi M. Defining the extent of developing postgraduate degrees of medical sciences throughout the country. Teb va Tazkieh. 2017;26(1):9-20. [In Persian]
- Abbasi E, Saberi M. Activity Based Costing And Traditional Methods In Calculating Students Training Cost. Journal of Research In Educational Systems. 2010;4(8):109-34. [In Persian]
- Ofem I. (dissertation). Cost benefit analysis of public university education in Lagos State, Nigeria. Lagos State University: Lagos, Nigeria; 2011.
- Iyiomo OA, Olayiwola A. Analysis of heterogeneities in the unit cost of university education in Nigeria. European Scientific Journal. 2014;10(13):83-97.
- Ehrenberg RG. American higher education in transition. Journal of Economic Perspectives. 2012;26(1):193-216. doi:10.1257/jep.26.1.193.