Document Type : Review
Ph.D. in Medical Education, Assistant Professor, Spiritual Health Research Center, Qom University of Medical Sciences, Qom, Iran
Ph.D. in Curriculum Studies, Associated Professor, Department of Laboratory Sciences, Faculty of Paramedicine, Aja University of Medical Sciences. Tehran, Iran
Ph.D. in Medical Education, Associated Professor, Medical Education Department, Education Development Center, Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences, Yazd, Iran
Background: Planning and conducting successful scholarship of teaching and learning or educational scholarship in medical education is essential. The guidelines for faculty members can be significant.
Objectives: This study aimed to develop a practical guide for teaching and learning scholarship activities.
Methods: The present study was a research synthesis conducted in six steps, including formulation of problem or question, literature search, data extraction and analysis, interpretation of results, and public presentation. The extracted publications were independently analyzed, and a consensus was reached on each paper’s stated definitions of the educational scholarship steps.
Results: The results were classified into 12 steps, including recognizing an educational problem, reviewing the literature, analyzing the context, creating a goal-oriented team of stakeholders, determining objectives and planning the SoTL project, finding supportive resources, considering ethical issues, implementing the scholar activities and analyzing evidence, critical appraisal of the SoTL project, reflecting on the SoTL project, documenting the details of the SoTL project, and going public and disseminating the experiences.
Conclusion: Scholars must be able to provide a clear, complete explanation of the innovativeness of their scholarly ideas and the need for this kind of content for their audiences. However, studying and reviewing relevant journals, reflecting on the issues or questions posed, and exchanging ideas with your colleagues are recommended for reviewing and refining scholarly and idea-generation questions.
- Boyer EL. Scholarship reconsidered: Priorities of the professoriate. New Jersey: The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching; 1990.
- Ordinetz SA. (dissertation). Perceptions and Attitudes of Occupational Therapy Faculty toward the Scholarship of Teaching. Minnesota, Minneapolis: Capella University; 2009.
- Potter MA, Burdine J, Goldman L, Olson D, Silver GB, Smith LU, et al. Demonstrating excellence in the scholarship of practice-based service for public health. Public Health Rep. Jul-Aug 2009;124(4): 1-15. doi: 10.1177/003335490912400401. [PMID: 19618782].
- Kreber C. Controversy and consensus on the scholarship of teaching. Studies in higher education. 2002; 27(2):151-67. doi:10.1080/03075070220119995.
- Dalkir K. Knowledge Management in Theory and Practice. London: Elsevier; 2005.
- Austin AE. Institutionalizing a Broader View of Scholarship Through Boyer's Four Domains. The Review of Higher Education. 2003;26(4):515-6. doi:10.1353/rhe.2003.0007.
- McKinney K. Enhancing learning through the scholarship of teaching and learning: The challenges and joys of juggling. Bolton, Massachusetts: Anker Publishing Company, Inc.; 2010.
- Jalili M, Mirzazadeh A, Jaffarian A. The Concept of Scholarship: Educational Scholarship and Its Application in Iran. Iranian Journal of Medical Education. 2009;9(2):167-80. [In Persian]
- Pope C, Mays N, Popay J. Synthesising qualitative and quantitative health evidence: A guide to methods: A guide to methods. Milton Keynes, UK: Open University; 2007.
- Rothman J, Damron-Rodriquez J, Shenassa E. Systematic research synthesis: Conceptual integration methods of meta-analysis. New York: Intervention research: Design and development for human service; 1994:133-60.
- Hedges L, Cooper H. Research synthesis as a scientific process. The handbook of research synthesis and meta-analysis. 2009;1:4-7.
- Thomas J, Harden A. Methods for the thematic synthesis of qualitative research in systematic reviews. BMC Med Res Methodol. 2008 Jul 10;8:45. doi: 10.1186/1471-2288-8-45. [PMID: 18616818]. [PMCID: PMC2478656].
- Cranton P. A transformative perspective on the scholarship of teaching and learning. Higher Education Research & Development. 2011;30(1):75-86. doi:10.1080/07294360.2011.536974.
- De Courcy E, Loblaw T, Paterson J, Southam T, Wilson MM. Framework for strengthening the scholarship of teaching and learning in the Canadian college sector. Canadian Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning. 2017;8(2):5. doi:10.5206/cjsotl-rcacea.2017.2.5.
- Rowland SL, Myatt PM. Getting started in the scholarship of teaching and learning: A “how to” guide for science academics. Biochem Mol Biol Educ. Jan-Feb 2014;42(1):6-14. doi: 10.1002/bmb.20748. [PMID: 24591041].
- Kenny N, Popovic C, McSweeney J, Knorr K, Hoessler C, Hall S, et al. Drawing on the principles of SoTL to illuminate a path forward for the scholarship of educational development. Canadian Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning. 2017;8(2):2.
- Van Melle E, Curran V, Goldszmidt M, Lieff S, St-Onge C. Toward a common understanding: advancing education scholarship for clinical faculty in Canadian medical schools. A position paper Ottawa: Canadian Association for Medical Education. 2012.
- Murnaghan A, Weersink K, Thoma B, Hall AK, Chan T. The writer’s guide to education scholarship in emergency medicine: Systematic reviews and the scholarship of integration (part 4). CJEM. 2018 Jul;20(4):626-633. doi: 10.1017/cem.2017.29. [PMID: 28606201]
- Potter MK, Kustra ED. The relationship between scholarly teaching and SoTL: Models, distinctions, and clarifications. International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning. 2011;5(1):1-18. doi:10.20429/ijsotl.2011.050123.
- Kanuka H. Keeping the scholarship in the scholarship of teaching and learning. International Journal for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning. 2011;5(1):3. doi:10.20429/ijsotl.2011.050103.
- Chan TM, Thoma B, Hall AK, Murnaghan A, Ting DK, Hagel C, et al. CAEP 2016 Academic Symposium: a writer’s guide to key steps in producing quality medical education scholarship. CJEM. 2017 May;19(S1):S9-S15. doi: 10.1017/cem.2017.30. [PMID: 28508740].
- McGaghie WC. Scholarship, publication, and career advancement in health professions education: AMEE Guide No. 43. Med Teach. 2009 Jul;31(7):574-90. doi: 10.1080/01421590903050366. [PMID: 19811143].
- Webb AS, Tierney AM. Investigating support for scholarship of teaching and learning; We need SoTL educational leaders. Innovations in Education and Teaching International. 2020; 57(5): 613-24. doi:10.1080/14703297.2019.1635905.
- Crites GE, Gaines JK, Cottrell S, Kalishman S, Gusic M, Mavis B, et al. Medical education scholarship: an introductory guide: AMEE guide No. 89. Med Teach. 2014 Aug;36(8):657-74. doi: 10.3109/0142159X.2014.916791. [PMID: 24965698].
- Alison Stull MSN R, Cheryl Lantz MSN R. An innovative model for nursing scholarship. J Nurs Educ. 2005 Nov;44(11):493-7. doi: 10.3928/01484834-20051101-04. [PMID: 16342630]
- Rimal HS. Educational Scholarship: The Need of Today. Birat Journal of Health Sciences. 2017;2(1):91-2. doi: 10.3126/bjhs.v2i1.17281.
- Musolino GM, Mostrom E. Reflection and the scholarship of teaching, learning, and assessment. Journal of Physical Therapy Education. 2005;19(3):52-66. doi: 10.1097/00001416-200510000-00008.
- Simpson D, Fincher RME, Hafler JP, Irby DM, Richards BF, Rosenfeld GC, et al. Advancing educators and education by defining the components and evidence associated with educational scholarship. Med Educ. 2007 Oct;41(10):1002-9. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2923.2007.02844.x. [PMID: 17822412].
- Haigh N, Withell AJ. The place of research paradigms in SoTL practice: An inquiry. Teaching and Learning Inquiry. 2020;8(2):
- Glassick CE. Boyer's expanded definitions of scholarship, the standards for assessing scholarship, and the elusiveness of the scholarship of teaching. Acad Med. 2000 Sep;75(9):877-80. doi: 10.1097/00001888-200009000-00007. [PMID: 10995607].
- Aronson L. Twelve tips for teaching reflection at all levels of medical education. Med Teach. 2011;33(3):200-5. doi: 10.3109/0142159X.2010.507714. [PMID: 20874014].
- Mezirow J. Fostering critical reflection in adulthood: a guide to transformative and emancipatory learning. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass Publishers; 1990.
- O'Loughlin VD. A "how to" guide for developing a publishable Scholarship of Teaching project. Adv Physiol Educ. 2006 Jun;30(2):83-8. doi: 10.1152/advan.00027.2005. [PMID: 16709738].
- Hall AK, Hagel C, Chan TM, Thoma B, Murnaghan A, Bhanji F. The writer’s guide to education scholarship in emergency medicine: Education innovations (part 3). CJEM. 2018 May;20(3):463-470. doi: 10.1017/cem.2017.28. PMID: 28631581.
- Chan TM, Ting DK, Hall AK, Murnaghan A, Thoma B, McEwen J, et al. A writer’s guide to education scholarship: qualitative education scholarship (part 2). CJEM. 2018 Mar;20(2):284-292. doi: 10.1017/cem.2017.25. [PMID: 28521849].
- Cook DA. Getting started in medical education scholarship. Keio J Med. 2010;59(3):96-103. doi: 10.2302/kjm.59.96. [PMID: 20881450].
- Mirhosseini F, Mehrdad N, Bigdeli S, Peyrovi H, Khoddam H. Exploring the concept of scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL): Concept analysis. Med J Islam Repub Iran. 2018;32:96. doi: 10.14196/mjiri.32.96. [PMID: 31024863]. [PMCID: PMC6477884].
- Michelson DG. Integrating the scholarship of teaching, learning, and research supervision into communications education. IEEE Communications Magazine. 2016;54(11):130-3. doi: 10.1109/MCOM.2016.1600744CM.
- Fincher R-ME, Work JA. Perspectives on the scholarship of teaching. Med Educ. 2006 Apr;40(4):293-5. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2929.2006.02404.x. [PMID: 16573663]