Document Type : Original Article
M.Sc. in Nursing, Instructor of Psychiatric Nursing Dept., Abadan School of Nursing, Jondishapour University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran
M.Sc. in Epidemiology, Instructor of Public Health Dept., Abadan School of Nursing, Jondishapour University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran
Background & Objective : Improvement in learners academic performance is one of the main goals of educational centers Academic performance is affected by a lot of factors study habit is one of them Considering the importance of ones study habits in academic performance this study was conducted to identify the students study habits and their relationship with academic performance in Abadan School of Nursing Methods : This cross sectional study was conducted on 150 students of Abadan School of Nursing in 2007 Data was collected using Palsane & Sharma Study Habit Inventory questionnaire which was completed in a selfdirected way at the time of holding final exams Results : According to the results of this study the mean score ( ± SD) of the students study habits was 4826 ( ± 116) out of 90 1133 percent of the students had unsatisfactory study habits while 807% and 8% had relatively satisfactory and satisfactory study habits respectively There was a significant week and positive relationship between the students study habits and their academic performance (P=0001 r= 027) There wasnt any significant relationship between study habits and semester age and marital status Conclusion : Generally speaking the students study habits are considered to be moderate that is to say that their study method is not of good quality Considering the importance of study habits in academic performance and achievement planning to improve students study habits and methods and interventions in this regard can be effective
- Sirohi V. A study of underachievement in relation to study habits and attitudes. J Ind Edu 2004; 14-9.
- Nourian AA, Mousavinasab N, Fahri A, Mohammadzadeh A. Medical student’s study skills and habits in Zanjan University of Medical Sciences. IJME 2006; 6 (1): 101-7. [In Persian]
- Khadivzade T, Seif AA, Valayi N. Relationship of students’ study strategies with their personal characteristics and academic background. IJME 2004; 4 (2): 53-61. [In Persian]
- Derossis AM, Rosa DD, Schwartz A, Hauge LS, Bordage G. Study habits of surgery residents and performance on American Board of Surgery In-Training examinations. Am J Sur 2004; 188 (3): 230-6.
- Godellas CV, Hauge LS, Huang R. Factors affecting improvement on the American Board of Surgery In-Training Examination (ABSITE). Surgery Res 2000; 91 (1): 1-4.
- Boehler ML, Schwind CJ, Folse R. An evaluation of study habits of third-year medical students in a surgical clerkship. Am J Sur 2001; 181 (3): 268-71.
- Koshan M, Heidare A. Survey of study habits in students of Sabzevar College of Medical Sciences. Sabzevar College of Medical Sciences 2006; 13: 185-9. [In Persian]
- Franklin FA. Study habits of undergraduate education students. Dissertation. Houston: University of Houston; 2006: 2-8.
- Study habits questionnaire (PSSHI). Translator: Karame A. Tehran: Ravan Tajhiz Sina; Designer and producer of laboratory, Psychology and Rehabilitory Tools. [In Persian].
- Nickerson GT. Kritsonis WA. An analysis of the factors that impact academic achievement among Asian American, African- American, and Hispanic Students. Doctoral Forum. National Journal for publishing and mentoring doctoral student research 2006; 3 (1): 1-4.
- Nneji LM. Study habits of Nigerian University students. Nigeria: Nigerian Educational Research & Development Council 2002: 490-6.
- Arnold L, Feighny KM. Students’ general learning approaches and performances in medical school: A longitudinal study. Acad Med 1995; 70 (8): 715-22.
- Streveler RA, Hoeglund T, Stein C. The study strategies of academically successful students at the Colorado School of mines. 33rd ASEE/IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference 2003; 1:1-4.
- Safavi A. Methods, techniques and models of teaching. Tehran: Moaser; 2003: 52-3. [In Persian].
- Hoseini Shahidi L, Attarodi AR, Moghemeian M. Survey of students using of learning and study technique. Ofoghe Danesh: Gonabad College of Medical Science and Health Services 2005; 11 (1): 53-60. [In Persian].