Document Type : Original Article
Ph.D. Student in Nursing, Department of Nursing, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Islamic Azad University -Shahrebabak branch, Kerman, Iran
Ph.D. in Nursing, MSc in Medical Education, Assistant Professor, Medical Education Development Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Ph.D. in Nursing, MSc in Medical Education, Assistant Professor, Department of Medical Surgical Nursing, Physiologic Research center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Background & Objective: In recent decades there have been substantial changes in the design and delivery of medical education in congruence with the higher demand for improved professional competencies of medical graduates Taskbased learning is an integrated system and a multidisciplinary teaching and learning approach In taskbased learning the focus of learning is a set of tasks addressed by a doctor in clinical practice In this method subjects are taught through the performance of tasks and understanding of concepts and mechanisms underlying the tasks The aim of this study was to review articles on taskbased learning in medical education Methods: Electronic databases and publishers such as ScienceDirect PubMed Scopus Google Scholar SID and Magiran were reviewed in 2014 All articles on taskbased learning in medical education without consideration of publication date were collected Studies which had the inclusion criteria (relevant to the field of medicine having objectives method sample size analysis a specific conclusion and availability of the full text) were selected In total 10 qualitative quantitative or mixed studies were selected for analysis Results: Although taskbased learning had been used in different levels and situations evidence suggested that in comparison to the traditional training method it has more efficiency and effectiveness Taskbased learning is an important tool in medical education with positive effects on faculty members students and patients Conclusion: This study has shown that taskbased learning is a powerful educational strategy and has been accepted as an appropriate tool in teaching and learning activities in most medical schools Therefore it is recommended for the promotion of knowledge skills and professional competency
- Ozan S, Karademir S, Gursel Y, Taskiran HC, Musal B. First graduates' perceptions on a problem-based and task-based learning curriculum. Educ Health (Abingdon). 2005;18(2):256-71.
- Rajab AJ, AL-Dabbagh SA. The role of short in intensive task based training course in improving emergency medicine performance among interns in Duhok, Kurdistan Region, IRAQ. Duhok Med J. 2011;5(1):1-14.
- Al-Dabbagh SA, Al-Taee WG. Evaluation of a task-based community oriented teaching model in family medicine for undergraduate medical students in Iraq. BMC Med Educ. 2005;5(1):31-43.
- BÜYÜKKARCI K. A critical analysis of task-based learning. Kastamonu Educ J. 2009;17(1):313-20.
- Harden RM, Uudlaw JM, Ker JS, Mitchell HE. AMEE medical education guide no. 7.: task-based learning: an educational strategy for undergraduat postgraduate and continuing medical education, part 1. Med Teach. 1996;18(1):7-13.
- Harden R, Crosby J, Davis MH, Howie PW, Struthers AD. Task-based learning: the answer to integration and problem-based learning in the clinical years. Med Educ. 2000;34(5):391-7.
- Qing Z, Ni S, Hong T. Developing critical thinking disposition by task-based learning in chemistry experiment teaching. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2010;2(2):4561-70.
- Vakani F, Jafri W, Ahmad A, Sonawalla A, Sheerani M. Task-based learning versus problem-oriented lecture in neurology continuing medical education. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2014;24(1):23-6.
- SA Sharifah Sulaiha, Nurjahan M, Lee N. Task-based learning: student’s perception of their skill in participating in small group discussions. Int e-J Sci Med Educ (IeJSME). 2009;3(1):8-12.
- Ellis R. The methodology of task-based teaching. Asian EFL J. 2006;8(3):79-102.
- Musal B. Problem-based learning & task-based learning curriculum revision experience of a Turkish Medical Faculty. Creative Educ. 2013;4(12):116-9.
- Koh YH, Wong ML, Lee JJ. Medical students' reflective writing about a task-based learning experience on public health communication. Med Teach. 2014;36(2):121-9.
- Virjo I, Holmberg-Marttila D, Mattila K. Task-based learning (TBL) in undergraduate medical education. Med Teach. 2001;23(1):55-8.
- Sigulem DM, Morais TB, Cuppari L, Franceschini SC, Priore SE, Camargo KG, et al. A Web-based distance education course in nutrition in public health: case study. J Med Internet Res. 2001;3(2):E16.
- Richardson A, Curtis AD, Moss GP, Pearson RJ, White S, Rutten FJ, et al. Simulated Drug Discovery Process to Conduct a Synoptic Assessment of Pharmacy Students. Am J Pharm Educ. 2014;78(2):41.
- Ibrahim SE, Bashir AH, Ibnouf MAM. Implementation of Task-based and problem-based Pharmacotherapy Course for Pre-Clinical Medical Students. Sudan J Med Sci. 2009;3(4):269-73.
- Ozkan H1, Degirmenci B, Musal B, Itil O, Akalin E, Kilinc O, et al. Task-based learning programme for clinical years of medical education. Educ Health (Abingdon). 2006;19(1):32-42.
- Takahashi Y. Problem-based learning and task-based learning: a practical synthesis. Kaohsiung J Med Sci. 2008;24(3 Suppl):S31-3.
- Calvert MJ, Skelton JR. The need for education on health related-quality of life. BMC Med Educ. 2008;8(1):2-6.
- Janagam D, Suresh B, Nagarathinam S. Efficiency of task based learning and traditional teaching on self-regulated education. Indian J Sci Technol. 2011;4(3):308-12.