Document Type : Original Article
M.Sc. in Midwifery, Lecturer, Department of Midwifery, Torbat Heidariye University of Medical Sciences, Torbat Heidariye, Iran
Ph.D. in Nursing, Associate Professor, Department of Internal-Surgical Nursing, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Background & Objective: Due to the increasing development of knowledge and constant encountering of new dimensions of modern treatmentcare procedures the ability to use selfdirected learning methods is considered as an important professional competency for midwifery students Thus evaluation of factors effective on the selfdirected learning procedure is of grave importance The aim of this study was to determine the readiness of midwifery students of Mashhad University of Medical Sciences Iran for selfdirected learning and identify its effective factors Methods: In this descriptive analytical study 170 undergraduate and masters students in midwifery and PhD students in reproductive health participated Data gathering instruments included Fishers SelfDirected Learning Readiness Scale (SDLRS) and the Effective Factors on SelfDirected Learning Inventory Data were analyzed using SPSS software and descriptive and inferential statistical methods Results: The mean age of the participants was 2403 ± 571 years In addition 707% of students had high scores in SDLRS There were significant differences in students SDLRS scores based on educational degree age degree of interest in the educational field marital status and occupation (P < 005) Conclusion: The results showed that individuals at risk of low selfdirected learning capability can be identified based on degree of interest in their educational field age marital status and occupation
- Shin JH, Haynes RB, Johnston ME. Effect of problem-based, self-directed undergraduate education on life-long learning. CMAJ. 1993;148(6):969-76.
- Zadvinskis IM. Increasing knowledge level of evidence-based nursing through self-directed learning: lessons learned for staff development. J Nurses Staff Dev. 2008;24(4):E13-9.
- Choudhry NK, Fletcher RH, Soumerai SB. Systematic review: the relationship between clinical experience and quality of health care. Ann Intern Med. 2005;142(4):260-73.
- Miller Juve AK. (dissertion). Reflective practice and readiness for self-directed learning in anesthesiology residents training in the United States: Portland: Portland State University; 2012.
- Embo MP, Driessen EW, Valcke M, Van der Vleuten CP. Assessment and feedback to facilitate self-directed learning in clinical practice of Midwifery students. Med Teach. 2010;32(7):e263-9.
- Naeimi L, Bigdeli S, Soltani Arabshahi K. Level of self-directed learning readiness in medical students. Bimonthly Educ Strateg Med Sci. 2012; 5(3): 177-181. [In Persian]
- Levett-Jones TL. Self-directed learning: implications and limitations for undergraduate nursing education. Nurse Educ Today. 2005;25(5):363-8.
- Cleary M, Freeman A, Sharrock L. The development, implementation, and evaluation of a clinical leadership program for mental health nurses. Issues Ment Health Nurs. 2005;26(8):827-42.
- Cheng SF, Kuo CL, Lin KC, Lee-Hsieh J. Development and preliminary testing of a self-rating instrument to measure self-directed learning ability of nursing students. Int J Nurs Stud. 2010;47(9):1152-8.
- Fisher MJ, King J. The Self-Directed Learning Readiness Scale for nursing education revisited: a confirmatory factor analysis. Nurse Educ Today. 2010;30(1):44-8.
- Fisher M, King J, Tague G. Development of a self-directed learning readiness scale for nursing education. Nurse Educ Today. 2001;21(7):516-25.
- Deyo ZM, Huynh D, Rochester C, Sturpe DA, Kiser K. Readiness for self-directed learning and academic performance in an abilities laboratory course. Am J Pharm Educ. 2011;75(2):25.
- Gordanshekan M, Ghassemi G, Yousefi A, Yarmohammadian MH. Validation of Self-Directed Learning Scale in Students of Isfahan University of Medical Sciences. Iran J Med Educ. 2012;11(9):1030-9. [In Persian]
- Lunyk-Child OI, Crooks D, Ellis PJ, Ofosu C, O'Mara L, Rideout E. Self-directed learning: faculty and student perceptions. J Nurs Educ. 2001;40(3):116-23.
- Prociuk JL. Self-directed learning and nursing orientation programs: are they compatible? J Contin Educ Nurs. 1990;21(6):252-6.
- Miflin BM, Campbell CB, Price DA. A conceptual framework to guide the development of self-directed, lifelong learning in problem-based medical curricula. Med Educ. 2000;34(4):299-306.
- Hewitt-Taylor J. Teachers' and students' views on self-directed learning. Nurs Stand. 2002;17(1):33-8
- Murad MH, Coto-Yglesias F, Varkey P, Prokop LJ, Murad AL. The effectiveness of self-directed learning in health professions education: a systematic review. Med Educ. 2010;44(11):1057-68.
- Montin L, Koivisto J. Effectiveness of self-directed learning methods compared with other learning methods in nursing education related to nursing students’ or registered nurses’ learning outcomes: a systematic review protocol. JBI Database of Systematic Reviews & Implementation Reports. 2014;12(2):1-8.
- Safavi M, Shooshtari S, Mahmoodi M, Yarmohammadian MH. Self-directed learning readiness and learning styles among nursing students of Isfahan University of Medical Sciences. Iran J Med Educ. 2010;10(1):27-36.
- Saeed N, Zare H, Mousa pour N, Sarmadi M, Hormozi M. Relationship between cognitive, metacognitive, and interactions with students learning achievement. Research and Planning in Higher Education. 2010; 16(4): 73-96. [In Persian]
- Klotz J. (dissertion). An examination of the relationship between self-directed learning readiness and academic achievement in first semester college students. Minnesota: Capella University; 2010.
- Yuan HB, Williams BA, Fang JB, Pang D. Chinese baccalaureate nursing students' readiness for self-directed learning. Nurse Educ Today. 2012;32(4):427-31.
- Clarke BA. Self Directed Learning: Nurse Educator's Perceptions. Qualitative Health Research. 1991; 5: 487-95.
- Nadi M, Yosefy A, Changiz T. Medical and dentistry students' perceptions of self directed learning and its relationship with personal traits. J Strides Dev Med Educ. 2012; 8(2): 173-81. [In Persian]
- El-Gilany AH, Abusaad Fel S. Self-directed learning readiness and learning styles among Saudi undergraduate nursing students. Nurse Educ Today. 2013;33(9):1040-4.
- Lestari E, Widjajakusumah D. Students’ selfdirected learning readiness, perception toward student-centered predisposition towards learning and student-centered behaviour. South East Asian J Med Educ. 2009;3(1):52-6.
- Jafari Sani H, Mohammadzadeh G, Garavand H, SA H. Learning styles and their correlation with self-directed learning readiness in nursing and midwifery students. Iran J Med Educ. 2012;12(11):842-53.
- Kocaman G, Dicle A, Ugur A. A longitudinal analysis of the self-directed learning readiness level of nursing students enrolled in a problem-based curriculum. J Nurs Educ. 2009;48(5):286-90.
- Reio TG. Prior knowledge, self-directed learning readiness and curiosity: antecedents to classroom learning performance. International Journal of Self- Directed Learning. 2004;1(1):18–25.
- Knowles M. Self-directed learning: A guide for learners and teachers. New York: Association Press; 1975.
- Hanfold GE. (dissertion). Comparison of self-directed learning readiness scores among nurses in critical-care and medical-surgical areas. Fresno: California State University; 1991.
- Fontaine RH. (dissertion). Participation in self-directed learning by older adults. Mississippi: The University of Southern Mississippi; 1996.
- Wilson DM. (dissertion). The correlation between racial identity development and learner autonomy of African-American students. Virginia: The George Washington University; 2004.
- Alspach J. (dissertion). The Self-directed Learning Readiness of Baccalaureate Nursing Students. Maryland: University of Maryland; 1991.
- Eyer J. (dissertion). Self-directed continuing learning characteristics and perceptions of professional autonomy in senior baccalaureate nursing students. Illinois: Northern Illinois University; 1993.
- Ponton MK, Carr PB, Derrick MG. A path analysis of the conative factors associated with autonomous learning. International Journal of 2004;1(1):59-69. Self Direct Learning.
- Hsu Y, Shiue Y. The effect of self-directed learning readiness on achievement comparing face-to-face and two-way distance learning instruction. Int J Instructional Media. 2005;32(2):143.
- Chaput D, Dunn D. The helpless learner: a pilot study in clinical students. Med Teach. 1998;20(6):583-6.
- Avdal EÜ. The effect of self-directed learning abilities of student nurses on success in Turkey. Nurse 2013;33(8):838-41. Educ Today.
- Linares AZ. Learning styles of students and faculty in selected health care professions. J Nurs Educ. 1999;38(9):407-14.
- Klunklin A, Viseskul N, Sripusanapan A, Turale S. Readiness for self-directed learning among nursing students in Thailand. Nurs Health Sci. 2010;12(2):177-81.
- Williams B. Self direction in a problem based learning program. Nurse Educ Today. 2004;24(4):277-85.
- Chen YL, Hsu LL, Hsieh SI. Clinical nurse preceptor teaching competencies: relationship to locus of control and selfdirected learning. 2012;20(2):142-51. J Nurs Res.
- Cadorin L, Bortoluzzi G, Palese A. The SelfRating Scale of Self-Directed Learning (SRSSDL): a factor analysis of the Italian version. Nurse 2013;33(12):1511-6. Educ Today.
- Palloff R, Pratt K. Building online learning communities: effective strategies for the virtual classroom. San Francisco: JosseyBass Publishers; 1999.
- Yousefy A, Gordanshekan M. A Review on development of Self-directed learning. Iran J Med Educ. 2011;10(5): 776-83. [In Persian]
- Frisby A. (dissertation). Self-Directed Learning Readiness In Medical Students At The Ohio State University. Columbus, OH: The Ohio State University; 1991.
- Boud D, Garrick J. Understanding workplace learning. London: Routledg; 1999.
- O'Shea E. Self-directed learning in nurse education: a review of the literature. J Adv Nurs. 2003;43(1):62-70.
- Nokdee S. (dissertation). Self-Directed Learning among Thai Nurses in Clinical Practice. Melbourne, Australia: Victoria University; 2007.
- Arfaie K, Amirali-Akbary S, Alavi-Majd H. Assessing midwifery students interest in their career at Medical Sciences Universities in Tehran. Knowledge Health J. 2008;3(1):2832. [In Persian]
- Harvey BJ, Rothman AI, Frecker RC. Effect of an undergraduate medical curriculum on students' self-directed learning. Acad Med. 2003;78(12):1259-65.