Document Type : Original Article
MSc Student of Health Education and Promotion, Faculty of Public Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Ph.D. in Statistics and Epidemiology, Associate Professor Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Faculty of Public Health, Kerman University of Medical, Sciences Kerman, Iran
M.Sc. Student in Educational Research, Research Center for Tropical and Infectious Diseases, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Ph.D. in Public Health, Assistant Professor in Public Health and Health Promotion, Research Center for Social Determinants of Health, , Institute for Futures Studies in Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Background & Objective: Determination of priorities and suitable educational methods enable the optimal use of the limited resources available Due to the effective role of family physicians in health promotion and the necessity of educational planning according to needs assessment this study aimed to assess the educational requirements of rural family physicians working in Kerman University of Medical Sciences Iran Methods: This crosssectional analyticaldescriptive study was conducted on 102 rural family physicians in 2014 Census method was applied for sampling Data were collected using a twopart researchermade questionnaire The validity of the questionnaire was approved by professors To determine the reliability of the research tool testretest method and Cronbachs alpha (096) were applied Statistical tests were used to analyze the data using SPSS software Results: The most required educational needs were circumcision biopsy of the skin and mucosa pulling nails speckle removal and surgical excision of skin verruca Continuing Medical Education was reported as the leading effective educational method There was significant relationship between educational requirements and total years of work experience and years of work experience as family physician However there was no significant relationship between educational requirements and physicians gender age place of education and educational interval gap Conclusion: To enhance knowledge and skills of family physicians in addition to revision of physicians educational curriculum educational planning based on needs assessment is required Thus it is suggested that the Health Care and Continuing Medical Education Office in Kerman University of Medical Sciences take the results of this study into consideration in order to promote the efficacy of the educational programs
- Ministry of Health and Medical Education. Guideline for family physicians program and Referral System in Urban Areas, Version 02. 2011. Available from: www.zums.ac.ir/files/cityhealth/pages/d.pdf. [In Persian]
- Ministry of Health and Medical Education. Guideline for family physicians program and Referral System. Ministry of Health and Medical Education Department of Health: Iran, Tehran. 2008:5-11. [In Persian]
- Shiri Mr, Asgari H, Talebi M, Karamalian H, Rohani M, Narimani S. Educational needs assessment of family (General) physicians working in rural health centers of Esfahan districts in five domains. Iran J Med Educ. 2011; 10(5):726-34. [In Persian].
- Gafari A. Family Physician. Special Report, MED&LAB Engineering Magazine. 2009; 8(90). [In Persian].
- Asgari H, Kheirmand M, Yarmohmdian MH, Rohani M, Ansari Pour S. Training needs assessment of health care providers (Behvarzan) working in health networks in Isfahan province. Iran J Med Educ. 2011; 10(5): 668-74. [In Persian]
- Azimian J. Educational needs of nursing managers about quality assurance of nursing care in Qazvin teaching hospitals. J Qazvin Univ Med Sci. 2002; 6(2):75-80. [In Persian]
- Shakurnia AH, Marashi T, Heidari Soureshjani Sh. Concordance of length and contents of continuing medical education programs with educational demands of practicing GPs in Khuzestan province. Iran J Med Educ. 2008; 7(1):85-92. [In Persian]
- Karimi M, Mirzaei M, Rahim Z. Educational needs of family physicians in Yazd province. J Med Educ Dev. 2012; 6(1). [In Persian]
- Fathi K. Need Assessment in education planning (Methods and Techniques). Tehran: Office of Teacher Training and Human Force Education; 1994: 1
- Omid A, Yammani N, Heidari K, Mousavi T, Mousavi A. Educational needs of general practitioners who enrolled as family physicians in national family medicine program and referral system. Iran J Med Educ. 2013; 13(6):470-9. [In Persian]
- Shirazi M, Alaedini F, Zeinalloo A. Requirements and methods of teaching general practitioners from the perspective of participants and subjects in the Tehran University of Medical Sciences. Iran J Med Educ. 2002; 2: 79-80. [In Persian]
- Tomasik T, Windak A, Domagala A, Dubas K, Sumskas L, Rosinski J. An evaluation of family physicians' educational needs and experiences in health promotion and disease prevention in Poland and Lithuania - a qualitative study. BMC Fam Pract. 2011; 12(1):13.
- Norris TE, Coombs JB, Carline J. An educational needs assessment of rural family physicians. J Am Board Fam Pract. 1996; 9(2):86-93.
- Forti EM, Martin KE, Jones RL, Herman JM. An assessment of practice support and continuing medical education needs of rural Pennsylvania family physicians. J Rural Health. 1996; 12(5):432-7.
- Commonwealth Fund. Training Tomorrow's Doctors: The medical education mission of academic health centers. New York. 2002.
- Amini A, Kargarmaher M, Hatami Sadabadi F, Salami H. Determining CME needs of general physicians in East Azarbaijan province. Iran J Med Educ. 2002; 2: 12. [In Persian]
- Shakurnia A, Elhampour H, Marashi T, Heidari Soureshjani Sh. Concordance of length and contents of continuing medical education programs with educational demands of practicing gps in Khuzestan Province. Iran J Med Educ. 2007; 7(1): 8591. [In Persian]
- Azizi J, Karimyar Jahromi M, Hojat M. Assessment of Darab County Villagers' Satisfaction with Family Doctor Functions from Different Aspects. J Fasa Univ Med Sci. 2012; 2 (3):193-8. [In Persian]