Document Type : Original Article
Ph.D. Student in Epidemiology, Modeling in Health Research Center, Institute of Futures Studies in Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics, School of Health AND Student Research Committee, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Ph.D. in Health Education and Health Promotion, Department of Health, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Ph.D. in Epidemiology, Assistant Professor, Regional Center for HIV and AIDS, Institute of Future Studies in Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Background & Objective: Little attention has been paid to generating systematic evidencebased qualitative approaches to effective education This study aimed to explore postgraduate students and mentors view points experiences and perceptions about effective education and its related factors in Kerman University of Medical Sciences Iran Methods: In this qualitative study using content analysis method and purposive sampling 32 postgraduate students and 7 mentors were recruited An interview guide was used to collect data through focus groups via indepth interviews After obtaining verbal informed consent data were recorded transcribed and analyzed using content analysis method To ensure validity of the data the acceptability and confirmability criteria were utilized Results: Two main themes were extracted from the viewpoint of postgraduate students and the mentors the direct and indirect factors related to effective education Direct factors included the factors related to student mentor educational environment and motivation Indirect factors were national educational system evaluation system for students and economic factors Conclusion: Both postgraduate students and mentors believe that effective education is a complex issue and macrofactors such as educational system and microones such as mentors and students characteristics are important In addition there is inconsistency in students and the mentors perception about the roles of the other one mentors believe that this is the responsibility of the students to learn and be selfmotivated while the students mentione that this is mainly the mentor responsibility This is an important topic which should be considered for planning effective education
- Anbari Z, Ramezani M. The obstacles of clinical education and strategies for the improvement of quality of education at Arak University of Medical Sciences in 2008. Arak Med Univ J. 2010;13(2):110-8. [In Persian]
- Ghasemi M, Rafieepour A, Asghari M, Abbassinia M, Tabbak R, Ahmadnezhad I, et al. Survey of learning styles of the students in Department of Health in Arak University of Medical Sciences based on Kolb’s Model. International Res J Applied Basic Sci. 2014;8(9):1442-6.
- Zamanzadeh V, Valizadeh L, Fathi-Azar E, Aminaie N. Nursing and midwifery student’s learning styles in Tabriz Medical University. Res J Biological Sci. 2008;3(2):243-5.
- Rowbotham MA. Teacher perspectives and the psychosocial climate of the classroom in a traditional BSN program. Int J Nurs Educ Scholarsh. 2010;7(1): 1548-923.
- Bardes CL, Hayes JG, Falcone DJ. Measuring Teaching: A Relative Value Scale in Teaching. Teach Learn Med. 1998;10(1):40-3.
- Martínez JF, Stecher B, Borko H. Classroom assessment practices, teacher judgments, and student achievement in mathematics: Evidence from the ECLS. Educational Assessment. 2009;14(2):78-102.
- Buchel TL, Edwards FD. Characteristics of effective clinical teachers. Fam Med. 2005;37(1):30-5.
- Zahedi M, Amirmaleki Tabrizi H. Medical education effectiveness from the viewpoints of medical students of Tehran University of Medical Sciences. Iran J Med Educ. 2008;7(2):289-98. [In Persian]
- Yunus MM, Osman WSW, Ishak NM. Teacher-student relationship factor affecting motivation and academic achievement in ESL classroom. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2011;15: 2637-41.
- Fasihi Harandi T, Azizzadehforoozi M, Mohammadalizadeh S, Ghazanfari moqadam Z. Effective factors on theoretical class attendance according to nursing and midwifery students’ point of view, Kerman Razi School of Nursing and Midwifery. J Strides Dev Med Educ. 2007;4(2):100-7. [In Persian]
- Ramezani T, Dortaj Ravari E. Investigating the characteristics of an effective teacher and educational factors affecting efficacy efficiency from the view of instructors and nursing students in Kerman University of Medical Sciences. J Strides Dev Med Educ. 2009;6(2):139-48. [In Persian]
- Rahimi A, Ahmadi F. The obstacles and improving strategies of clinical education from the viewpoints of clinical instructors in Tehran’s Nursing Schools. Iran J Med Educ. 2005; 5(2): 73-80. [In Persian]
- Gillespie M. Student-teacher connection: A place of possibility. 2005;52(2):211-19. J Adv Nurs.
- Schönwetter DJ, Lavigne S, Mazurat R, Nazarko O. Students’ Perceptions of Effective Classroom and Clinical Teaching in Dental and Dental Hygiene Education. J DentEduc. 2006;70(6):624-35.
- Freeth D, Fry H. Nursing students’ and tutors’ perceptions of learning and teaching in a clinical skills centre. Nurse Educ Today. 2005;25(4):272-82.
- Chai CS, Merry R. Teachers’ perceptions of teaching and learning in a knowledge‐building community: an exploratory case study. Learning, Media 2006;31(2):133-48. and Technology.
- Liu Y, Huang C. Concerns of teachers about technology integration in the USA. Eur J Teach Educ. 2005;28(1):35-47.
- Swennen A, Jörg T, Korthagen F. Studying Student Teachers’ Concerns, Combining Image-Based and More Traditional Research Techniques. Eur J Teach Educ. 2004;27(3):26583.
- Corbin J, Strauss A. Basics of qualitative research: techniques and procedures for developing grounded theory. 3rd ed. Los Angeles: Sage; 2008.
- Williamson GR. Introduction to Social Research Quantitative and Qualitative Approaches. J Advanced Nurs. 2006;54(5):639.
- García-Ros R, Pérez F, Talaya I. New university students’ instructional preferences and how these relate to learning styles and motivational strategies. Electronic J Res Educ Psychol. 2008;6(3):547-70.
- Phan H. Exploring epistemology beliefs and learning approaches in context: A sociocultural perspective. Electronic J Res Educ Psychol. 2008;6(3):793-822.
- Caelli K. Quantitative and qualitative research: competition or parallel play? J Wound Ostomy Continence Nurs. 2002;29(2):74-5.
- Streubert H, Carpenter D. Qualitative research in nursing. 4th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2007.
- Polit D, Beck C. Essentials of nursing rresearch: methods, appraisal, and utilization. 6th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins; 2005.
- Talaei A, Hekmatpou D. Exploration of Arak Medical students’ experiences on effective factors in active learning: a qualitative research. Iran J Med Educ. 2012;12(2):131-42. [In Persian]
- Mirmohammadi Meybodi S, Mazloomi Mahmodabadi SS, Shahbazi H, Sharifpour Z, Zeynolabedini M. The Comparison of the Characteristics of Effective Teaching from Instructors' and Students' viewpoint, Yazd Shahid Sadooghi University of Medical Sciences. Future Med Educ J. 2012;2(4):24-31.
- Khazaie Z, Khazaie T, Babaie M. Educational Process of Medical Students in Basic Sciences in Birjand University of Medical Sciences. J Strides Dev Med Educ. 2008;5(2):148-51. [In Persian]
- Alikhani S, Markazi Moghaddam N, Boroomand S, Zand Begleh M. Evaluation of influencing factors of educational decline of nursing students Army University of Medical Sciences between 1380 and 1383. Annals of Military and Health Sciences Research. 2006;4(2):819-24. [In Persian]
- Abedini S, Kamalzadeh H, Aghamolaei T. Perspectives of medical students regarding criteria for a good University professor, Bandar Abbas, Iran. Bimonthly J Hormozgan Univ Med Sci. 2010;14(3):241-5. [In Persian]
- Ghorbani R, Haji aghajanei S, Heydari far M, Shams Abadi M. Viewpoints of nursing and para-medical students about the Features of a good university lecturer. J Koomesh. 2009;10(2):77-83. [In Persian]
- Sutkin G, Wagner E, Harris I, Schiffer R. What makes a good clinical teacher in medicine? A review of the literature. Acad Med. 2008;83(5):452-66.
- Ghaderi R, Dastjerdi R. Teachers’ and students’ viewpoints about the characteristics of effective teaching Birjand University of Medical Sciences. J Med Educ. 2005;7(2):95-102.
- Torabipour A, Zahiri M. Study on influencing factors relationship between teacher and student in view of students of Ahvaz University of Medical Sciences. Jundishapur Sci Med J. 2012;11(5):549-57. [In Persian]
- Mousavi S, Javadi R. Effective factors in optimizing learning from the viewpoints of the nonclinical medical academics of Bandar Abbas medical faculty. Bimonthly J Hormozgan Univ Med Sci. 2011;15(2):122-7. [In Persian]
- Elahi N, Alhani F, Ahmadi F. Effective education: perceptions and experiences of nursing students. 2012;12(2):110-9. Iran J Med Educ.
- Vahabi A, Sayadi M, Shahsavari S, Khadem Erfan M, Veisi A, Pouladi A, editors. Study of characteristics of good teacher from the viewpoint of Kurdistan University of Medical Science. Proceedings of the 8th National congress on Medical Education; 2007 March 68; Kerman, Iran. 2007: 841-5. [In Persian]
- de Guzman AB, Ormita MJ, Palad CM, Panganiban JK, Pestaño HO, Pristin MW. Filipino nursing students' views of their clinical instructors' credibility. Nurse Educ Today. 2007;27(6):529-33.
- Abedini M, Abassi A, Mortazavi F, Bijari B. Students’ viewpoint of factors affecting teacher-students communication, a study in Birjand University of Medical Sciences. Iran J Med Educ. 2012;12(6):439-47. [In Persian]
- Delaram M. Clinical education from the viewpoints of nursing and midwifery students in Shahrekord University of Medical Sciences. Iran J Med Educ. 2006;6(2):129-35. [In Persian]
- Hemmati Maslakpak M, Khalilzadeh H. Nursing students’ perspectives on effective clinical education: a qualitative study. Iran J Med Educ. 2012;11(7):718-27. [In Persian]
- Dearmond MM. The future of college health. J Am College Health. 1995;43(6):258-61.
- Vakili M, Nourian A, Mosavi Nasab S. Study of characteristics a good teacher from perspective of teachers and students of Zanjan University of Medical Science. J Zanjan Med Educ Dev Center. 2008;24(1):18-27. [In Persian]