Document Type : Original Article
M.Sc. in Critical Care Nursing, Instructor, Department of Nursing, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Arak University of Medical Sciences, Arak, Iran
M.Sc. in Medical Surgical Nursing, Instructor, Department of Nursing, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Arak University of Medical Sciences, Arak, Iran
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Nursing, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
M.Sc. in Biostatistics, Thyroid Disorders Research Center, Amiralmomenin Hospital, Arak University of Medical Sciences, Arak, Iran
Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Nursing, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Background & Objective: Regarding the importance of nursing education promotion there is a need to use methods that have the ability to create knowledge and skills in students This study aimed to assess the effect of education (inquiry bedside education and routine approach to clinical education) on critical care nursing students clinical learning Methods: This quasiexperimental study performed in the intensive care unit (ICU) of Valiasr hospital in Arak Iran during Octobers to March 2014 The subjects were 60 nursing students who were selected via census method and randomly were divided into three groups of 20 subjects After the administration of pretest students in the control group were educated using common method; in one of the experimental groups the inquirybased method and the other group bedside method were used for education for 10 days Then the three groups completed the questionnaires at the end of education again (posttest) Finally data were analyzed using ANOVA pairedt and independentt tests Results: The mean total score of the clinical skills and cognitive domain was significantly difference among the three groups after the intervention (F = 13675 degree of freedom = 2 P = 00001) After testing the homogeneity hypothesis of variances and using GamesHowell posthoc tests the total scores of training in bedside and inquirybased education were significantly more than the routine training after the intervention (P < 00001 and P = 00001 respectively) Conclusion: It seems that two methods inquirybased and bedside education enhanced clinical skills of students Therefore it is recommended to use these two methods of clinical educating to enhance students clinical learning
- Shankar J, Eugene IP , Khalema E, Couture J, Tan Sh, Zulla RT, et al. Education as a Social Determinant of Health: Issues Facing Indigenous and Visible Minority Students in Postsecondary Education in Western Canada. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2013; 10(9): 3908–29.
- Nielsen AE, Noone J, Voss H, Mathews LR. Preparing nursing students for the future:An innovative approach to clinical education. Nurse Educ Pract. 2013;13(4):301-9.
- Lee AC, Tiwari AF, Hui Choi EW, Yuen KH, Wong A. Hong kong nurses perceptions of and participation in continuing nursing education. J Contin Educ Nurs. 2005;36(5):205-12.
- MacIntyre RC, Murray TA, Teel CS, Karshmer JF. Five recommendations for prelicensure clinical nursing education. J Nurs Educ. 2009;48(8):447-53.
- Karimi H, Zoubin F, Mazloom SR, Derakhshan A. A survey on on the desire and current status of nursing clinical education curriculum. 2010;10(23):3-6[In Persian]
- Forrest S. Learning and teaching: the reciprocal link. J Contin Educ Nurs. 2004;35(2):74-9.
- Henderson A, Twentyman M, Heel A, Lioyd B. Students perception of the psycho- social clinical learning environment: an evaluation of placement modles. Nurse Educ Today. 2006;26(7):564-71.
- Aliakbari F, Haghani F. Patient 's Bedside Teaching: Advantages and Disadvantages. Iran J Med Educ. 2011;10(5):1161-76. [In Persian]
- Spencer J. ABC of learning and teaching in medicine Learning and teaching in the clinical environment. BMJ. 2003;326(7389):591-4.
- Ahmed K, El‐Bagir M. What is happening to bedside clinical teaching?. Med Educ. 2002;36(12):1185-8.
- Shabani H. Skills education. Tehran: Samat; 2004. [In Persian]
- Oshvandi KH, Yousefpour S, Bikmoradi A, Yousefzadeh MR. The Effects of Inquiry-Based Clinical Instruction of Nursing Students on Applying Nursing Process Skill. J Hamadan Nurs Midwifery Facualty. 2013;21(1): 5-15. [In Persian]
- Parvin E, Aslani E, Babakhani M, Parvin M, Quality Assessment of Curriculum for Bu-Ali Sina Higher Education Department of Literature and Human Sciences. Mediterranean J Soc Sci. 2015; 6(5): 507-14 .
- Simasek P, Kabapinar F. The effects of inquirybased learning on elementary students ry-based learning on elementary students conceptual understanding of matter,scientific process skills and science attitudes. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2010; 2(2):1190-4.
- Dehghani H, Dehghani Kh, Fallahzadeh H. The Educational Problems of Clinical Field Training Based on Nursing Teachers and Last Year Nursing Students' View points. Iran J Med Educ. 2005;5(1):24-32.
- Hardcastle JE. Back to the bedside:Graduate level education in critical care. Nurse Educ Pract. 2008;8(1):46-53.
- Mokhtari Nouri J, Ebadi A, Alhani F, Rejeh N. Importance of role-model teaching in nursing students’ education. Educ Strategy Med Sci. 2011; 3(4): 149-54. [In Persian]
- Soleymanpour J, Poursadeghi M. The effect of teaching philosophy-oriented on academic motivation and self monitoring among students. J Applied Enviromental and Biological Sciences. 2014;4(3):95-102.
- Amin Z, Chong YS, Khoo HE. Practical guide to medical student assessment. Singapore: World Scientific Pub Co; 2006.
- Majeed F. Effectiveness of case-based teaching of physiology for nursing students. J Taibah Univ Med Sci. 2014;9(4):289-92.
- Naylor S. An evaluation of an enquiry based learning strategy for the science of imaging technology. Radiography. 2011;17(4):319-22.
- Bicknell-Holmes T, Hoffman PS. Elicit, engage, experience, explore: discovery learning in library instruction. Reference 2000;28(4): 313-22. Services Review.
- Karimi Moneghi H, Dabbaghi F, Oskouie SF, Vehviläinen-Julkunen K, Bionghi T. Teaching Styles in Clinical Nursing Education: A Qualitative Approach. J Sabzevar Univ Med Sci. 2009;15(4):182-91. [In Persian]
- Tahery N, Hachem Bechari Y, Hojjati H, Cheraghian B, Mohammadi H. Effective Factors on Clinical Education Improvement from Nursing Students' Viewpoints of Abadan Nursing Faculty in 2009. Dena Sci J. 2008; 4(3): 4. [In Persian]
- Odell E, Barta K. Teaching evidence-based practice: the Bachelor of Science in nursing essentials at work at the bedside. J Prof Nurs. 2011;27(6):370-7.
- Manninen K, Henriksson EW, Scheja M, Silén C. Patients’ approaches to students’ learning at a clinical education ward-an ethnographic study. BMC Med Educ. 2014;14(1):131.