Document Type : Original Article
MSc in Medical Education, Medical Education Research Center, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Assistant Professor, Department of Library and Medical Information, Center for Civil Services Management, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Associate Professor, Department of Physiology, Research Center for Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases, School of Medicine, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
PhD Student, Research Center for Gastroenterology and Liver Diseases, School of Medicine, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Background & Objective: The main prospect of medical education is improving the quality of health care provided by clinicians The quality and timing of services is related to medical education that can train researchers to solve the problems of the changing requirements of society Problembased learning (PBL) as a studentcentered learning approach can provide the context for such medical education The aim of present study was to obtain appropriate information about the effective use of PBL in Iranian medical education from available studies through a systematic review Methods: In the present study 16 studies on the effect of PBL on learning satisfaction and efficacy of medical education were reviewed This systematic review was performed by searching the Google Scholar PubMed Magiran Iran Medex and SID databases using the keywords problembased learning medical education and Iran We included studies that were published from 2003 to 2015 in Iran The results of all studies were reviewed by two researchers using the Critical Appraisal Skills Programme (CASP) and the Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) checklists Results: From among the 130 selected articles 16 studies were included in the study The level of satisfaction with this type of training was reported as high The students performance was satisfactory with this educational method This method of training had a significant effect on the increasing of student learning particularly in the clinical and practical fields and strengthening of active learning selfdirection motivation and critical thinking Conclusion: According to the results of this study PBL can be used as an effective educational method for medical education in Iran
- Yamani N, Fakhari M. Social accountability of medical education curriculum: barriers and implications. Iran J Med Educ. 2014; 13(12):1082-98. [In Persian]
- Wood DF. Problem based learning. BMJ. 2003;326(7384):328-30.
- Vernon DT, Blake RL. Does problem-based learning work? A meta-analysis of evaluative research. Acad Med. 1993; 68(7):550-63.
- Berkson L. Problem-based learning: have the expectations been met? Acad Med. 1993; 68(10):S79-88.
- Zare Gavgani V, Hazrati H, Gojazadeh M, Ghafari R. A scientometric analysis of problem-based learning in medical education in Medline and web of science. Res Dev Med Educ. 2014;3(2): 83-9.
- Dianati M, Adib-Hajbaghery M. Comparison of lecture and problem-based learning on learning of nursing students. Future Med Educ J. 2012; 2(1):7-11.
- Golmohammadi R, Dashti GR. The study of styles learning students in anatomical education by problem based learning and lecturing in Sabzevar University of Medical Sciences. J Sabzevar Univ Med Sci. 2013; 19(4):371-81.
- Penjvini S, Shahsavari S. Comparison of the effects of conventional and PBL teaching methods on nursing students’ skills in administrating medication to children in Sanandaj. Scientific J Kurdistan Univ Med Sci. 2007; 12(3):73-81. [In Persian]
- Kermaniyan F, Mehdizadeh M, Iravani S, MArkazi Moghadam N, Shayan S. Comparing lecture and problem-based learning methods in teaching limb anatomy to first year medical students. Iran J Med Educ. 2008; 7(2):379-88. [In Persian]
- Panjehpour M, Ataee N. Comparison the effectiveness of problem solving method with lecture-based method in the teaching of metabolic biochemistry. Iran J Med Educ. 2012; 11(9): 1318-25. [In Persian]
- Jafari A, Khami M, Yazdani R, Mohamadi M. Presenting the Course of Community Dentistry as Problem Based Learning Workshop and Comparing It to Learning through Lecture. Iran J Med Educ. 2010; 9(3): 216-24. [In Persian]
- Aein F, Nourian K. Problem–based learning: a new experience in education of pediatric nursing course to nursing students. Shahrekord Univ Med Sci J. 2006; 8(2):16-20. [In Persian]
- Bastan Hagh. Evaluation of effectiveness of the combined model of education based on knowledge of clinical protests and compare performance relative to traditional model of education on attitudes of medical students (pilot study). J Med Council Iran. 2004; 22 (1):19-27. [In Persian]
- Koleini N, Farshidfar F, Shams B, Salehi M. Problem based learning or lecture, a new method of teaching biology to first year medical students: an experience. Iran J Med Educ. 2003; 3(2): 57-63. [In Persian]
- Baghaie m, Roshan z. A comparision of two teaching strategies: lecture and PBL, on learning and retaining in nursing students. J Guilan Univ Med Sci. 2003;12(47):86-94. [In Persian]
- Pourshanazari AA, Roohbakhsh A, Khazaei M, Tajadini H. Comparing the long-term retention of a physiology course for medical students with the traditional and problem-based learning. Adv Health Sci Educ. 2013;18(1):91-7.
- Sangestani G, Khatiban M. Comparison of problem-based learning and lecture-based learning in midwifery. Nurse Educ Today 2013;33(8):791-5.
- Dehkordi AH, Heydarnejad MS. The impact of problem based learning and lecturing on the behaviour and attitudes of Iranian nursing students. Dan Med Bull. 2008;55(4):224-6.
- Khoshnevisasl P, Sadeghzadeh M, Assadi F. Evaluation of medical students' satisfaction from teaching by problem based learning method. J Med Edu Dev. 2015; 8 (19):33-40. [In Persian]
- Vahdat Shariatpanahi Z, Vahdat Shariatpanahi M. Comparing the effect of presenting the course of nutrition as problem based learning with method of lecture in level of learning and presence in the class in midwifery students. J Ilam Univ Med Sci. 2014; 22(1):59-63. [In Persian]
- Momeni S, Abdolmaleki M, Zarezadeh Y, Rezaie MJ. Effects of problem based learning approach on medical students’ learning, satisfaction and engagement in embryology course. Future Med Educ J. 2014;4(1):27-31.
- Koh GCH, Khoo HE, Wong ML, Koh D. The effects of problem-based learning during medical school on physician competency: a systematic review. Can Med Assoc. 2008; 178(1):34-41.
- Thammasitboon K, Sukotjo C, Howell H, Karimbux N. Problem-based learning at the Harvard School of Dental Medicine: selfassessment of performance in postdoctoral training. J Dent Educ. 2007; 71(8):1080-9.
- Gregg SC, Eisenberg D, Duffy AJ, Longo WE. Design, management, and critical evaluation of a surgical basic/clinical science curriculum: the role of an educational chief resident. J Surg Educ. 2008;65(1):36-42.
- Khan H, Taqui AM, Khawaja MR, Fatmi Z. Problem-based versus conventional curricula: influence on knowledge and attitudes of medical students towards health research. PLoS One. 2007; 2(7):e632
- Noohi E, Azizi F, Soheil Arshadi F, Hugh Doost A. Surveying the effect of readiness for selfdirected learning on problem-based learning in general practice trainees. Res Med. 2001; 25(3):179-82. [In Persian]
- Zarshenas L, Momeni Danaei S, Oshagh M, Salehi P. Problem based learning: an experience of a new educational method in dentistry. Iran J Med Educ. 2010; 10(2):171-9. [In Persian]
- Espey E, Ogburn T, Kalishman S, Zsemlye M, Cosgrove E. Revitalizing problem based learning: student and tutor attitudes towards a structured tutorial. Med Teach. 2007; 29(2-3):143-9.