Document Type : Original Article
M.A. in Educational Planning, Department of Educational Sciences, School of Educational Sciences, Isfahan (Khorasgan) Branch, Islamic Azad University, Isfahan, Iran
Ph.D. in Educational Management, Associate Professor, Department of Educational Sciences, School of Educational Sciences, Isfahan (Khorasgan) Branch, Islamic Azad University, Isfahan, Iran
Background & Objective: Individuals based on their learning styles have different interpretation of the environment and issues and choose different problemsolving strategies The objective of the present research was identifying the relationship between learning methods and problemsolving strategies among students of the bachelor of nursing in Isfahan University of Medical Sciences Iran Methods: The present study was a correlational research The statistical population included students of the bachelor of nursing in Isfahan University of Medical Sciences in 20132014 (n = 380) From among them 191 individuals were selected through cluster random sampling and based on sample size determined using Cochran`s sample size formula The data collection tools included Kolbs Learning Styles Inventory (LSI) and the ProblemSolving Approaches Questionnaire (Cassidy & Long) The face validity of the questionnaires was accepted due to their high application rate The reliability of the questionnaires was estimated as more than 070 Data were analyzed using stepwise regression and the Pearson correlation coefficient Results: The results showed an inverse relationship between experiential learning style and constructive problemsolving style In addition there was a direct relationship between experiential learning style and nonconstructive problemsolving style There was a reverse relationship between abstract conceptualization and nonconstructive problemsolving style The best predictor of constructive and nonconstructive problemsolving styles was experiential learning style Conclusion: Based on the relationship observed between learning styles and problemsolving styles it is suggested that learning styles and practices be introduced to students and teachers in training courses so that they use suitable problemsolving styles based on the identified learning styles Moreover the provision of nursing courses that provide the possibility of experiential learning for students is highly recommended
- Khademi M. (dissertation). Analyzing the relationship between learning methods and preferred procedures for the students in middle-school. Isfahan: Faculty of Psychology and Educational Sciences; 2011. [In Persian]
- Salami SO, Aremu AO. Relationship between problem solving ability and study behavior among school-going adolescents in southwestern Nigeria. Electronic J Res Educ Psychol. 2006; 4(1):139-54.
- Moattary M, Abedi H, Fathiazar S, Amini A. Reflection perspectives of Tabriz Nursing Student. Iran J Med Educ. 2002; 2(2Suppl)40. [In Persian]
- Smeltzer S, Bare B, Hinkle J, Cheerer K. Medical-Surgical nursing. 11th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams wilkins; 2008
- Wang JJ, Lo CH, Ku YL. Problem solving strategies integrated into nursing process to promote clinical problem solving abilities of RN-BSN students. Nurse Educ Today. 2004; 24(8):589-95.
- Noroozi D. (dissertation). Cognitive styles and their relationship with learning. Collection of the articles of human sciences, educational sciences, and psychology. Tehran: Islamic Azad University, South Branch; 2008.
- Zoghi M, Brown T, Williams B, Roller L, Jaberzadeh S, Palermo C, et al. Learning style preferences of Australian health science students. J Allied Health. 2010; 39(2):95-103.
- Boyde M, Tuckett A, Peters R, Thompson DR, Turner C, Stewart S. Learning style and learning needs of heart failure patients (The Need2Know-HF patient study). Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs. 2009; 8(5):316-22.
- Dobson JL. Learning style preferences and course performance in an undergraduate physiology class. Adv Physiol Educ. 2009; 33(4):308-14.
- Norman G. When will learning style go out of style? Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract. 2009;14(1):1-4.
- Willemsen-McBride T. Preceptorship planning is essential to perioperative nursing retention: matching teaching and learning styles. Can Oper Room Nurs J. 2010; 28(1):8-10.
- D'Amore A, James S, Mitchell EK. Learning styles of first-year undergraduate nursing and midwifery students: a cross-sectional survey utilising the Kolb Learning Style Inventory. Nurse Educ Today. 2012; 32(5):506-15.
- Cassidy S. Learning Styles: An overview of theories, models and measures. Educational Psychology. 2004; 24(4): 419-44.
- Kharrazi SK. An introduction to cognitive education. Theory and applications. (Translation) Ashman AF, Conway RNF. Tehran: Sana Pub; 2006. [In Persian]
- Roberts A. Cognitive styles and student progression in architectural design education. Design Studies. 2006;27(2):167-81.
- Solso RL, MacLin MK, MacLin OH. Cognitive Psychology. Boston: Allyn and Bacon Pub; 2008. 17. Kolb AY. The Kolb learning style inventoryversion 3.1 2005 technical specifications. Boston: MA: Hay Resource Direct; 2005.
- Poshtiban A. (dissertation). The relationship between problem-solving style and educational improvement, self-esteem and the way of thinking of the students in senior level of middle-school. Tabriz: Tabriz University: 2008.
- Becker-Weidman EG, Jacobs RH, Reinecke MA, Silva SG, March JS. Social problem-solving among adolescents treated for depression. Behav Res Ther. 2010;48(1):11-8.
- Metallidou P, Platsidou M. Learning Style Inventory-1985: Validity issues and relations with metacognitive knowledge about problem-solving strategies. Learn Individ Differ. 2008; 18(1): 114-9.
- Loo R. Kolb’s learning styles and learning preferences: Is there a linkage?. Educational Psychology. 2004; 24(1): 99-108.
- Weber K. Problem-solving, proving, and learning: The relationship between problem-solving processes and learning opportunities in the activity of proof construction. J Mathematical Behavior. 2005; 24(3): 351-60.
- Lithner J. Students’ mathematical reasoning in university textbook exercises. Educational Studies in Mathematics. 2003; 52(1): 29-55.
- Akbari M, Motamedi A. Analyzing the relationship between learning styles, personality characteristics, and problem-solvind methods among the students. Quarterly of the Modern Thoughts in Educational Sciences. 2011; 6(3):1125. [In Persian]
- Sarvghad S, Dianat A. A Study of Learning and Problem-solving Styles of University Students (A Case Study of Marvdasht Islamic Azad University). J Management System. 2010. 1(2):79-92. [In Persian]
- Bhat MA. The effect of learning styles on problem solving ability among High School Students. Int J Adv Soc Sci Humanit. 2014;2(7): 1-6.
- Sirin A, Guzel A. The relationship between learning styles and problem solving skills among college students. Educational Sciences: Theory & Practice. 2006; 6(1): 255-64.
- Cassidy T, Long C. Problem-solving style, stress and psychological illness: development of a multifactorial measure. Br J Clin Psychol. 1996; 35 (Pt 2):265-77.