Document Type : Original Article
PhD Candidate, Department of Health Information Management, School of Medical Management And Information, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Associate Professor, Anesthesiology and Critical Care Research Center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Instructor, Department of Health Information Technology, School of Medical Management and Information, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Background & Objective: Studying at a university is one of the important stressful situations Previous studies have shown the adverse effects of stress on students physical and mental health The aim of the current study was to determine the sources of academic stress and its relation to demographic variables in students at the School of Medical Management and Information of Shiraz University of Medical Sciences Iran Methods: This crosssectional study was conducted on 95 students (65 women and 30 men) with a mean age of 219 ± 1830 years (age range: 1830) The subjects were selected using stratified random sampling method Data were gathered using the Academic Stress Questionnaire (ASQ) and analyzed using descriptive statistical methods independent ttest the Pearson correlation coefficient and ANOVA Results: The findings indicated that the domain of difficulty managing work family and university had the highest mean score (402 ± 231) and the domain of difficulty with interaction at the university had the lowest mean score (261 ± 184) A significant negative association was found between age and the domain of difficulty managing work family and university (r = 0026 P = 001) In addition the mean score of second year students was significantly higher in the domains of difficulty with academic performance in class (P = 003) and difficulty with academic performance outside the class (P = 004) compared to other domains The most common stressors were observed in the domain of difficulty managing work family and university This domain was more important among younger students Conclusion: It is recommended that more attention be paid to this important issue in student educational and counseling programs
- Koshan M, Vaghefi S. Psychiatric Nursing (Mental Health 1) . Tehran: Andishe Rafie; 2008: 73-5. [In Persian]
- Samari AA, Lalifaz A, Askari AA. An investigation on supportive resources and coping styles with stressors in university students. J Fundamentals of Mental Health. 2007; 8(31-32): 97-107. [In Persian]
- Najafi Kalyani M, Pourjam E, Jamshidi N, Karimi S, Najafi Kalyani V. Survey of stress, anxiety, depression and self-concept of students of Fasa University of medical sciences, 2010. J Fasa Univ Med Sci. 2013; 3(3):235-40. [In Persian]
- Sawai A, Ohshige K, Kura N, Tochikubo O. Influence of mental stress on the plasma homocysteine level and blood pressure change in young men. Clin Exp Hypertens. 2008;30(3): 233-41.
- Tavolacci MP, Ladner J, Grigioni S, Richard L, Villet H, Dechelotte P. Prevalence and association of perceived stress, substance use and behavioral addictions: a cross-sectional study among university students in France, 2009–2011. BMC Public Health. 2013; 13(1): 724.
- Beddoe AE, Murphy SO. Does mindfulness decrease stress and foster empathy among nursing students? J Nurs Educ. 2004;43(7):305-12.
- Sohail N. Stress and academic performance among medical students. J Coll Physicians Surg Pak. 2013;23(1):67-71.
- Sadeghian E, Heidarian Pour A. Stressors and Mental Health Status among Students of Hamadan University of Medical Sciences. Hayat. 2009; 15(1):71-80. [In Persian]
- Hahbazi Mogadam M, Nasoohi N, Zahirodin A, Valaee N, Etedal Monfared S. Evaluation of stress level, its sources and related factors among senior dental students at Islamic Azad University in year 2010. J Res Dent Sci. 2011; 8 (3):130-4. [In Persian]
- Rezakhani S, Pashasharifi H, Delavar A, Shafieabadi A. University students' stress sources. Thought and Behavior in Clinical Psychology. 2008;3(9):7-16. [In Persian]
- Taghavi Larijani T, Sharifi Neiestanak N, Aghajani M, Mehran A. Assertiveness and Anxiety in Midwifery & Nursing Students. Hayat. 2009; 15 (2):61-72. [In Persian]
- Zohoor A, Fekri A. Students’ Happiness of School of Management and Medical Information Sciences Iran University of Medical Sciences and Health Services. Armaghane danesh. 2003; 8(2) :63-72. [In Persian]
- Shokri O, Korminouri R, Farahani M, Moradi A. Testing for the factor structure and psychometric properties of the Farsi version of Academic Stress Questionnaire. Int J Behav Sci. 2011; 4(4): 277-83. [In Persian]
- Shahravan A, Karimi-Afshar M, Torabi M, Safari S. Assessment of dental environment stress among clinical dentistry students in Kerman Dental School, Iran, in 2014. Strides Dev Med Educ. 2016; 12(4): 586-95. [In Persian]
- Rasouli D, Zareie F, Safaei Z, Smaeilhajinejad M, Rokhafrooz D. Survey of students’expectations of instructor and perceived stressors during clinical and theoretical education at Urmia Nursing and Midwifery Faculty in 2013. Educational Development of Jundishapur. 2015; 6(2):165-75. [In Persian]
- Kazem Nejad E, Dehghani F, Buraki S. Sources of stress among students in Guilan University of Medical Sciences. Journal of Research Development in Nursing and Midwifery. 2015; 12 (1): 118-26. [In Persian]
- Abdulghani HM, AlKanhal AA, Mahmoud ES, Ponnamperuma GG, Alfaris EA. Stress and its effects on medical students: a cross-sectional study at a college of medicine in Saudi Arabia. J Health Popul Nutr. 2011; 29(5): 516–522.
- Sani M, Mahfouz M, Bani I, Alsomily A, Alagi D, Alsomily N. Prevalence of stress among medical students in Jizan University, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. Gulf Med J. 2012;1(1):19-25.
- Mokhtaripoor M, Godarzi Z, Siadat A, Kivanara M. The relationship between demographic variables, anxiety and depression, Isfahan Medical University students. J Res Behavioural Sci. 2007; 5(2):107-113. [In Persian]
- Dehdari T, Yarahmadi R, Taghdisi MH, Daneshvar R, AhmadPoor J. The Relationship between Meaning in Life and Depression, Anxiety and Stress Status among College Students of Iran University of Medical Sciences In 2013. Iran J Health Educ Health Promot. 2013; 1(3):83-92. [In Persian]
- Sharma B, Prasad S, Pandey R, Singh J, Sodhi KS, Wadhawa D. Evaluation of stress among post-graduate medical and dental student. Delhi Psychiatry J. 2013;16(2): 312-6.
- Akbari M, Nejabat A, Dastorani M, Rohani A. Evaluation of Stress Level and Related Factors among Students of Mashhad Dental School (Iran) in Academic Year of 2008-2009. J Mash Dent Sch 2011; 35(3): 165-76. [In Persian]
- Shokri O, Kormi Nouri R, Farahani MN, Moradi AR. Gender and academic stress: A model for moderating effects in cultural context. J Behavioral Sci. 2013; 7 (1) :11-12 [In Persian]
- Shah M, Hasan S, Malik S, Sreeramareddy CT. Perceived stress, sources and severity of stress among medical undergraduates in a Pakistani Medical School. BMC Med Educ. 2010; 10(1): 2.
- Norouzinia R, Aghabarari M, Kohan M, Karimi M. Health promotion behaviors and its correlation with anxiety and some students’ demographic factors of Alborz University of Medical Sciences. J Health Promotion Management. 2013; 2 (4): 39-49. [In Persian]
- Nazari R, Beheshti Z, Arzani A, Hajihosseini F, Saatsaz S, Bijani A. Stressor agents in clinical education of nursing students in Amol Nursing and Midwifery Faculty. J Babol Univ Med Sci. 2007;9(2):45-50. [In Persian]