Document Type : Review
Department of Educational Administration, Islamic Azad University, Tabriz Branch, Tabriz, Iran
Department of Educational Administration, Farhangian University, Tabriz, Iran
Background: Development of problem-solving skills through policy-making and promotion of physician education can be achieved by establishing specific criteria for policy-making and evaluation of educational policies.
Objectives: This study aimed to investigate the challenges of assessing medical education policies.
Methods: In this systematic review, the Sample–Phenomenon of Interest–Design–Evaluation– Research (SPIDER) model was used to extract data. Scientific databases were searched to find articles in Persian or English language, assessing policy-making and policies in the Iranian medical education during 2010-2019. Of 485 domestic and international studies, 447 studies were excluded, based on the title or abstract, and 38 full-text articles were selected for further investigation. Finally, 11 relevant articles were reviewed as the final sample.
Results: The challenges of educational policies in medical education were determined, based on the descriptive content analysis of the reviewed articles. These challenges were classified, based on the policy analysis steps. The main challenges of assessing medical education policies in selected studies were related to setting the agenda, setting policies, policy selection, policy execution, and finally, policy analysis in medical education.
Conclusions: Based on the present results, policy-makers can incorporate the conceptual model of this study, which was based on an established theoretical framework and previous research, in the process of policy-making.
- Zembazemba R D. Educational assessment practices in Tanzania: A critical reflection. Business Education Journal. 2017; 1(3).
- Chan S-J, Yang Ch-Y. Governance styles in Taiwanese universities: Features and effects. International Journal of Educational Development. 2018; 63: 29-35. doi:10.1016/j.ijedudev.2017.10.007
- Ghasemi, E. Sedighiyan M. A Comparative Study of the Higher Education System of Iran and England. Payam-e Farhikhteghan. 2016; 1(1): 45-84. [In Persian]
- Doshmangir L, Mostafavi H, Rashidian A. How to do policy analysis? A view on approaches and modes of policy analysis in health sector. Hakim Health Sys Res. 2014; 17(2): 138-50. [In Persian].
- Chou M-H, Jungblut J, Ravinet P, Vukasovic M. Higher education governance and policy: an introduction to multi-issue, multi-level and multi-actor dynamics. Policy and Society. 2017; 36(1): 1-15. doi:10.1080/14494035.2017.1287999
- Isaacs T, Lamprianou I. International assessment policy reform: nothing new under the sun. Assessment in Education: Principles, Policy & Practice. 2018; 25(3): 227-9. doi:10.1080/0969594X.2018.1482094
- Ball S J. The education debate. Third ed. Chicago: Policy Press; 2017. doi:10.2307/j.ctt1t893tk
- Faryabi M, Davoudi R. Investigation Of Educational Policies Of Developed And Developing Countries Based On Human Development Indicators. Proceedings Of The Second International Conference On Management And Accounting; (2017 July 6); Tehran, Iran.2017:23.
- Abdi H, Mirshah Jafari S E, Nili M R, Rajaeipour S. An Explanation of the Future Curricula toward Realizing the Visions and Missions of Iranian Higher Education in Horizon of 2025. Journal of Higher Education Curriculum Studies. 2018; 8(16): 59-88. [In Persian]. doi:10.14689/ejer.2018.77.8
- 10. Khajelou H, Rashid S. Lack of coherent and integrated governance and policy making in the education of country; A serious obstacle to the integration of higher education and medical education, n.a.r. New university notes, Editor.[Cited 2018 August 15] Available From: http://higheredu.blogfa.com/post/81/
- Amiri J, Seif Rabiei MA, Maghsudi F, Khatami F, Sanaei Z. Evaluation of Medical Education Reform Program in Basic Sciences from the Viewpoints of Hamadan University of Medical Sciences Professors and Students. Research in Medical Education. 2018; 10(2): 58-67. [In Persian]. doi:10.29252/rme.10.2.58
- 1, D. Perspective Document of the Islamic Republic of Iran 1404. [Cited 2019] Available From: https://rc.majlis.ir/fa/law/show/132295.
- 2, D. Document of comprehensive scientific map of the country. [Cited 2019]. Available From: http://www.yu.ac.ir/uploads/Sanad%20Cheshmandaz_971.pdf
- 3, D. Comprehensive Scientific Health Document. [Cited 2019]. Available From: http://file.qums.ac.ir/repository/bazresi/map/health%20map.pdf.
- Pourabbasi A, Heshmat R, Rajabi F, Heidarzadeh A, Aghai meibodi H R, Ghomian Z, et al. comprehensive health higher education plan, a model for plicy making in health higher educaion in ministry of health in Iran. Iranian Journal of Medical Education. 2015; 15: 61-3. [In Persian]
- Pourabbasi A. Where did the plan to transform medical education go after 4 years?. [Cited 2019 May 20]. Available From: https://www.isna.ir/news/98022915522/.
- Birkland TA. An introduction to the policy process: Theories, concepts, and models of public policy making. Third ed. London and NewYork: Routledge; 2015. doi:10.4324/9781315717371
- Bartlett S, Burton D. Introduction to education studies. 5 ed. London: Sage Publications Limited; 2020.
- Naderi N, Norouzi R.A, Siyadat A. Policy Making in Education. Esfahan: Yarmana; 2016. [In Persian]
- Garritzmann J L. Attitudes towards student support: How positive feedback-effects prevent change in the Four Worlds of Student Finance. Journal of European Social Policy. 2015; 25(2): 139-58. doi:10.1177/0958928715573478
- Ansell B.W. From the ballot to the blackboard: The redistributive political economy of education. Cambridge University Press; 2010. doi:10.1017/CBO9780511730108
- Jönsson, K, Phoummalaysith B, Wahlström R, Tomson G. Health policy evolution in Lao People’s Democratic Republic: context, processes and agency. Health policy plan. 2015; 30(4): 518-27. doi:10.1093/heapol/czu017. PMID:24740710 PMCID:PMC4385816
- Pourabbasi A, Haghdoost A, Akbari H, Khiry Z, Dehnavi R, Noorihekmat S, ea al. Packages for reform and innovation in medical education in Islamic Republic of Iran; a conceptual framework. Teb va Tazkiyeh. 2017; 26(1): 45-50. [In Persian]
- Sabatier P.A. Weible C.M. Theories of the policy process. Westview Press; 2014.
- Bardach E, Patashnik E.M. A practical guide for policy analysis: The eightfold path to more effective problem solving. CQ press; 2019.
- Collins T. Health policy analysis: a simple tool for policy makers. Public Health. 2005; 119(3): 192-6. doi:10.1016/j.puhe.2004.03.006. PMID:15661129
- Dunn W.N. Public policy analysis. 5 ed. Routledge; 2015. doi:10.4324/9781315663012
- NasrollahPourshirvani S D, Moudi S. Evidence-based policy-making in the health system and its achievements and challenges in Iran. Babol Publications :University of Medical Sciences and Health Services. 2013; 22 .
- Wakida E.K, Akena D, Okello E.S, Kinengyere A, Kamoga R, Mindra A, et al. Barriers and facilitators to the integration of mental health services into primary health care: a systematic review protocol. Syst Rev. 2017; 6(1): 171. doi:10.1186/s13643-017-0561-0. PMID:28841908 PMCID:PMC6389192
- Pourabbasi A, Kheiry Z, Naghvai Alhosseini S S, Akbari H, Larijani B. Medical Education Policy Making in Iran; A Review of 40-years Experiences. Teb Va Tazkieh. 2019; 27(4): 215-23. [In Persian]
- Malekzadeh R, Abedi Gh , h Rezai M S, Yazdani P. The Process of Establishment of Territorial Agenda and Development and Inonovation in Medical Education in Iran. Clinical Excellence. 2017; 7(1): 49-63.
- Kheyri Z, Heydarzadeh A, Pourabbasi A, Givarian H. Designing An Intersectoral Collaboration Model for Implementing Spatial Planning policy of Medical Higher Education in Iran, Study Protocol. Medicine and Cultivation. 2018; 27(2): 83-90.
- Bagheri Moghadam N, Ahmadi H. The pathology of governance in Iranian higher education system. General policy. 2018; 4(4): 55-74. [In Persian]
- Barimani K, Aghatabar Roudbar J, Aghamirzayi Mahali T, Yousefi Saeedabadi R. Study Of The Status On Iran’s Higher Education Knowledge Market (Case Study Of Universities Under The Ministry Of Health And Medical Education In Mazandaran Province, Ministry Of Science And Technology). Teb va Tazkieh. 2018; 27(1): 23-37. [In Persian].
- Mohammaditabar Sh, Mohammady Kh, Rahnama P, Sepahi Vida. Explaining the Opinions of Nursing and Midwifery Faculty Members on Educational and Research Policies: A Qualitative Study. Journal of Medical Education and Development. 2018; 12(4): 257-68.
- Kokabi Saghi F, Kokabi Saghi F. Evaluating the Implementation of Human Resource Training and Improvement Policies in Medical Universities of Iran. Proceedings Of The in First National Conference on Organizational Transformation and Innovation with Resistance Economics Approach; (2017 January 24-25); Mashhad, Iran. 2017: 1.
- Kamyabi M, Foroughi Abri A A, Yarmohammadian M H. Desirable Features of Higher Education Policies with an Emphasis on Lifelong Learning Approach: Faculty Members’ Perspective. Iranian Journal of Medical Education. 2017; 17: 38-49.[In Persian]
- Hesampour A (dissertation). Investigating the Synergistic Barriers of Iranian Higher Education Policy Institutions. Tehran: Shahid Beheshti University; 2016: 9.
- Abbasi M, Shirepaz Arani A. Higher education quality policy making: Challenges and Prospects. Proceedings Of The in 5th Conference on Quality Assessment in University System. 5th Quality Assurance Conduct in the Academic System.( 2011 April 27); Tehran, Iran. 2011:16.
- Rabiee A, Nazarian Z. Factors Influencing Higher Education Policies with an Approach to Article 44 of the Constitution. Rahbord. 2011; 20(61): 247-76. [In Persian]
- Ronaghi M, Feyzi K. Effective Factors on Education Policies and Academic Technology. Educ Strategy Med Sci. 2014; 7(3): 167-73. [In Persian]
- Lazar M, Paus V. Roma civil society, a stakeholder involvement in public policy-making. Procedia-Social and Behavioral Sciences. 2013; 8: 259-63. doi:10.1016/j.sbspro.2013.06.424
- Estrada M.A.R. Policy modeling: Definition, classification and evaluation. Journal of Policy Modeling. 2011; 33(4): 523-36. doi:10.1016/j.jpolmod.2011.02.003
- Bédard P-O, Ouimet M. Persistent misunderstandings about evidence-based (sorry: informed!) policy-making. Arch Public Health. 2016; 74(1): 31. doi:10.1186/s13690-016-0142-z. PMID:27441090 PMCID:PMC4952236
- Joo J H, Jimenez D E, Xu J, Park M. Perspectives on training needs for geriatric mental health providers: preparing to serve a diverse older adult population. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2019; 27(7): 728-36. doi:10.1016/j.jagp.2019.03.015 PMID:31101582 PMCID:PMC6599578
- Breuer E, Subba P, Luitel N, Jordans M, Silva M D, Marchal B, et al. Using qualitative comparative analysis and theory of change to unravel the effects of a mental health intervention on service utilisation in Nepal. BMJ Glob Health. 2018; 3(6). doi:10.1136/bmjgh-2018-001023. PMID:30687522 PMCID:PMC6326347
- Wakida E K, Talib Z M, Akena D, Okello E S, Kinengyere A, Mindra A, et al. Barriers and facilitators to the integration of mental health services into primary health care: a systematic review. Syst Rev. 2018; 7: 211. doi:10.1186/s13643-018-0882-7. PMID:30486900 PMCID:PMC6264616
- Maconick L, Jenkins L S, Fisher H, Petrie A, Boon L, Reuter H. Mental health in primary care: Integration through in-service training in a South African rural clinic. Afr J Prim Health Care Fam Med. 2018; 10(1): 1-7. doi:10.4102/phcfm.v10i1.1660. PMID:29943593 PMCID:PMC6018523
- Spagnolo J, Champagne F, Leduc N , Melki W, Piat M, Laporta M, et al. “We find what we look for, and we look for what we know”: factors interacting with a mental health training program to influence its expected outcomes in Tunisia. BMC Public Health. 2018; 18: 1398. doi:10.1186/s12889-018-6261-4. PMID:30572941 PMCID:PMC6302293
- Khosravi M, Fadavi M S, Karimi F. Developing a conceptual model of an independent university, based on the study of universities in advanced countries. Quarterly Journal Of Educational Leadership and Administration, Islamic Azad University of Garmsar Branch. 2018; 12(4): 107-20. [In Persian]