Document Type : Original Article
MSc Student of Medical Education, Virtual School of Medical Education and Management, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Professor Assistant in Educational Development Center, School of Medicine, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, Sari, Iran
Ph.D in Curriculum in Higher Education, Educational Development Center, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, Sari, Iran
Department of Medical Education, Education, Virtual School of Medical Education and Management, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Background: Teaching and training require ethical considerations.
Objectives: The present study aimed at evaluating teaching ethics from the perspectives of professors and postgraduate students of Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences based on a comparative approach.
Methods: A cross-sectional study was performed on all postgraduate students and their professors in the academic year of 2019-2020. A total of 284 postgraduate students and 42 professors were selected using a stratified random sampling method, according to the size of each stratum. The data collection instrument was the standard teacher's professional ethics scale including six subscales and 48 items, scored based on a five-point Likert scale from 1 to 5. Data were analyzed by SPSS version 21 using descriptive statistics, independent samples t-test, and one-way analysis of variance.
Results: The total mean score of professional ethics for professors was 3.67±0.63 and 4.29± 0.59 from the students' and professors’ perspectives, respectively. There was a significant difference between the students' and professors’ perspectives in each of the subscales (P<0.0001). There was a significant difference among schools in the teaching techniques mastery and observation of rules subscales.
Conclusion: From the perspective of students, the status of teaching ethics is still far from the standard, and it needs more educational plans to improve.
- Yazdani Sh, Imanipour M. Professional ethics in higher education: dimensions and constructs. Teb va Tazkiye. 2017; 26(4): 272-84. [In Persian]
- Najafi H, Maleki H. An Assessment of Faculty Members' Professional Ethics from Students' View point in Medical School of Shahed University. Journal of Medical Education Development. 2016; 9(21):93-102. [In Persian]
- Abbasi R, Taheri Gh, Beheshti J. Investigating Faculty Members’ Professional Ethics in View of Students. Journal of Ethics in Science and Technology. 2018; 12 (4): 60-9. [In Persian]
- Rice JK. Teacher quality: Understanding the effectiveness of teacher attributes. Washington, DC: Economic Policy Institute; 2003.
- Kayzouri AH,Mohammadi Hoseini SA. Students’ Perception of Faculty Members’ Teaching Competence (Case Study: Ferdowsi University of Mashhad). Research in Technic. 2020; 7(4): 107-31. [In Persian]
- Jadidi H, Esmaeili M, Mohammadian Nasrabadi SE, Soltani Rad Z, Ozami M, Almasi F, et al. Evaluation of the Professional Ethics Status of the Teachers in Sanandaj Islamic Azad University in 2017. Journal of Education Studies. 2017; 2(8):75-86. [In Persian]
- Imanipour M. Principles of professional ethics in education. Iranian Journal of Medical Ethics and History. 2012; 5(6): 27-41. [In Persian]
- Nemati MA, Mohseni HS. Ethics in Higher Education: Components, Requirements and Strategies. Research Letter on Ethic in Higher Education. 2010; 63 (1): 9-46. [In Persian]
- Ferasatkhah M. Code of ethics promotes higher education. J Ethics Sci Technol. 2006; 1(1):13-27. [In Persian]
- Arasteh HR, Jahed HA. Observing ethics in universities and higher education centers: an alternative for improving behaviors. Science Cultivation Journal. 2011; 1 (2): 31-40. [In Persian]
- Sobhani Nejad M, Najafi H, Jafari Harandi R, Farmahini Farahani M. Teaching Professional Ethics Components from the Viewpoint of Students Qom University of Medical Sciences. Educ Strategy Med Sci. 2015; 7 (6):399-403. [In Persian]
- Morris L, Wood G. A model of organizational ethics education. European Business Review. 2011; 23(3):274-86. doi:10.1108/09555341111130254.
- Rotgans JI, Schmidt HG. The role of teachers in facilitating situational interest in an active-learning classroom. Teaching and teacher Education. 2011; 27(1):37-42.
- Talebzadeh Shoshtari L, Pourshafaie H. Attributions of Successful Professors in Promoting Academic Motivation in Birjand University Students. J Res Plan High Educ. 2011; 17(2):81-97. [In Persian]
- Kheirkhah M, Soltani Arabshahi K, Meshkat Z. Relationship between Teachers Professional Ethics and Midwifery Students' Self-Efficacy in Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences, Yazd. 2015. The Journal of Medical Education and Development. 2016; 11 (2): 161-73. [In Persian]
- Azizi N. Professional ethics in higher education: A reflection on strategy of improvement of ethical standards in university education. J Strategy for Culture. 2010; 2(8-9):173-201. [In Persian]
- Moezi M, Shirzad H, Zamazad B, Rohi H. Evaluation process in viewpoints of academic staff and students in Shahrekord University of Medical Sciences. J Shahrekord Univ Med Sci. 2010; 11(4):63-75. [In Persian]
- Segoro W. The influence of perceived service quality, mooring factor, and relationship quality on customer satisfaction and loyalty. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2013; 81:306-10.
- Mazloomy M, Rahaei Z, Ehrampoush M, Soltani T. The characteristics of an expert faculty member based on view points of medical students – Yazd, Iran - 2008. Hormozgan Medical Journal. 2010; 14(3):226-33. [In Persian]
- Mirmohammadi Meybodi SJ. The Characteristics of Effective Teaching Based on Viewpoints of Shahid Sadoqi University of Medical Sciences. J Med Educ Dev. 2013; 5 (9) :52-62. [In Persian]
- Sepahi V, Karami Matin B, Memar Eftekhary L, Rezaei M, Sabour B, Sadeghi E, et al. Factors affecting teachers’ evaluation from the viewpoint of the students’ at Kermanshah University of Medical Sciences. Education Research Medical Science. 2013; 2(2): 20-6. [In Persian]
- Farmahini Farahani M, Ziaeiyan Alipour F. Faculty members’ teaching quality based on the My course scale from the student’s viewpoint. Educ Strategy Med Sci. 2012; 5(3) :157-61. [In Persian]
- Jenaabadi H, nastiezaie N. Comparing the current and desired state of teaching professional ethics among faculty members; University of Sistan and Baluchestan. Educ Strategy Med Sci. 2015; 8(5):317-22. [In Persian]
- Babasefari M, Marzooqi R, Faqih N, Turkzadeh J, Yousefi F. Evaluation of the professional ethics of professors at Shiraz University from postgraduate students’ perspectives and its training implications for curriculum planning. Journal of Curriculum Research. 2013; 3(1): 67-86. [In Persian]
- Mossadegh H, Birouni K, Pourkarimi J, Abdollahi B. Regarding Professional Ethics Among Professors at Tehran University and Imam Khomeini Institute from Learners Point of View. Irainian Journal of Culture in The Islamic University. 2014; 3 (4): 705-22. [In Persian]
- Farmahini Farahani M, Rahnama A, Behnam Jam L. Components of Educational Professional Ethics Faculty Members and its Priorities. Higher Education Letter. 2013; 6(22): 62-41. [In Persian]
- Bazrafcan L, Amini M, Lotfi F, Jalali Z. Professionalism among clinical faculty in Shiraz medical school by self assessment. Hormozgan Medical Journal. 2012; 16(5):387-94. [In Persian]
- Gorzin A, Taghvayi Yazdi M, Niyaz Azari K. Model of Professional Ethics in Higher Education Institutions in Mazandaran. Educational Development of Judishapur. 2017; 8:74-80. [In Persian]
- Ozcan K, Balyer A, Servi T. Faculty Members’ Ethical Behaviors: A Survey Based on Students' Perceptions at Universities in Turkey. International Education Studies. 2013; 6(3): 129-42.
- Haghdoost AA, Shakibi MR. Medical student and academic staff perceotions of role models; an analytical cross-sectional study. BMC Med Educ. 2006 Feb 17;6:9. doi: 10.1186/1472-6920-6-9. [PMID: 16503974]. [PMCID: PMC1402291].
- Keenan JF. The Lack of Professional Ethics in the Academy. Louvain Studies. 2011; 35(1-2): 98-116.
- Pourkarimi J, Ghamooshi Z, Ehtesham Z, Mohseni Mehr Z. A Comparative Approach to the Professional Ethics of Scientific Board Members from the Viewpoint of Faculty Members and Students (Case Study: Tehran University). Irainian Journal of Culture in The Islamic University. 2019; 9 (2): 151-86. [In Persian]
- Sobhaninejad M, Baghaei MR, Najafi H. Study of the Application of Professional Teaching Ethics among Faculty Members of Imam Khomeini Naval Academy at Nosh Teaching in Marine Science. 2017; 4(2): 1-9. [In Persian]
- Bergman K, Gaitskill T. Faculty and student perceptions of effective clinical teachers: An extension study. J Prof Nurs. Jan-Feb 1990;6(1):33-44. doi: 10.1016/s8755-7223(05)80187-5. [PMID: 2312930].