Document Type : Original Article
MSc of Medical Education, Education Development Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Instructor, General Practitioner, Medical Education Department, Education Development Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Associate Professor, Medical Education Department, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Associate Professor, Medical Education Department, Education Development Center, Medical Education Leadership and Management Research Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Background: Accreditation is one of the most important ways of guaranteeing the quality of medical education.
Objectives: T he aim of this study was to determine medical university deputies’ and managers’ perspectives on the outcomes of institutional accreditation in Iran.
Methods: T his was a descriptive-analytical cross-sectional study conducted as a census to assess the views of the deputies and managers of 65 medical universities in Iran on the outcomes of institutional accreditation. T he research tool was a questionnaire consisting of items about institutional accreditation standards in various fields, which was provided to deputies and managers via email or in person. After data collection, data analysis was performed using SPSS software version 22.
Results: T he results showed that from the perspectives of medical university deputies and managers, the outcomes of institutional accreditation were satisfactory in the dimensions of mission, management and goals, resources and facilities, faculty members, and student and cultural activities. Also, the outcomes were reported relatively satisfactory in research and staff training dimensions. T he dimensions of staff training and resources and facilities had the lowest (60.34 ±17.22), and highest (73.83 ±15.12) mean scores, respectively.
Conclusion: Deputies and managers believed that institutional accreditation had satisfactory impacts on some areas according to the available resources and facilities. Since these areas have a close relationship, the desirability of each area also boosts other dimensions, which ultimately upgrades university credit and qualification.
- Naseri borojeni N. Evaluation of international standards of accreditation of nursing education and its adaptation to nursing education in Iran. Isfahan: Isfahan University of medical sciences; 2005. [In Persian]
- Jiang Y. A Multilevel Comprehensive Assessment of International Accreditation for Business Programmes-Based on AMBA Accreditation of GDUFS. Higher Education Studies. 2017; 7(4):15-25. doi:10.5539/hes.v7n4p15
- Tabrizi J, Gharibi F. Systematic survey of accreditation models for designing a national model. Scientific Journal of Kurdistan University of Medical Sciences. 2011; 16 (3): 95-109. [In Persian]
- Safdari dehcheshmeh F. Examining the accreditation process and its international standards in the field of midwifery and proposing appropriate national standards. Isfahan: Isfahan University of medical sciences; 2003. [In Persian]
- Bahrami M A, Akbari M, Emami M, Fallahzadeh H. Designing an administrative structure for Iranian hospitals" accreditation based on the stakeholders viewpoints". Toloo-E-Behdasht. 2016; 15(1): 208-23. [In Persian].
- Moradi R, Nemati A, Bahmaziari N, Shokri A, Mohammadi M, Soltantajian A. Effect of accreditation on the health services delivering in university hospitals of Isfahan. Journal of Health Care Management. 2015; 6(3): 67-76. [In Persian]
- Sharif MR, Mottaghi M, Sehat M. Comparison of clinical Indicators Before and After the implementation of clinical Governance and Accreditation Program in Beheshti Hospital-2012. J Stud Res Comm. 2015; 20(2):14-25.
- Salehi Z, Payravi H. Challenges in the Implementation Accreditation Process in the Hospitals: A Narrative Review. Iran Journal of Nursing. 2017; 30(106):23-34. [In Persian]. doi:10.29252/ijn.30.106.23
- Aliyari S, Maleki H, Pazargadi M, Abaspoor A. Designing Accreditation Model for Curricula of Baccalaureate Degree Nursing Education in Iran. Iranian Journal of Medical Education. 2016; 16(39):328-40. [In Persian].
- Ibijola EY. Accreditation Role of the National Universities Commission and the Quality of the Educational Inputs into Nigerian University System. Universal Journal of Educational Research. 2014; 2(9):648-58. doi:10.13189/ujer.2014.020907
- Butter MC, Aguilera EM, Quintana MGB, Pérez1 LJ, Valenzuela ES. Quality Assurance for Postgraduate Programs: Design of a Model Applied on a University in Chile. International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning. 2017; 18(1):266-92. doi:10.19173/IRRODL.V18I1.2670
- Mirzazadeh A, Tavakkoli S, Yazdani K, Taj M. Accreditation: A Way to Quality Assurance and Improvement in Medical Education. Iranian Journal of Medical Education. 2005; 4(12):103-15. [In Persian].
- Alkhenizana A, Shaw C. Impact of Accreditation on the Quality of Healthcare Services: a Systematic Review of the Literature. Ann Saudi Med. 2011; 31(4):407-16. doi: 10.4103/0256-4947.83204. [PMID: 21808119] [PMCID: PMC3156520]
- Yousefy A, Changiz T, Yamani N, Ehsanpoor S, Hasan Zahraei R. Developing a Holistic Accreditation System for Medical Universities of Iran. Iranian Journal of Medical Education. 2012; 11(9):1191-201. [In Persian].
- Horn M, Dunagan A. Innovation and quality assurance in higher education. Christensen institute: innovation and quality assurance in higher education. 2018; 1-23.
- International Accreditation Document of Tehran University of Medical Sciences. [Cited 2013]. Available from: http://gsia.tums.ac.ir/Images/Download/17209/IQAAN_Document__Fa_.pdf.
- Gama JAP, Vega AV. Looking for High Quality Accreditation in Higher Education in Colombia. Universal Journal of Educational Research. 2017; 5(7):1083-104. doi: 10.13189/ujer.2017.050702
- Vakili Z, Moemen Heravi M, Moraveji A, Abdi F, Yavari M. Evaluation of educational departments of kashan shahid beheshti teaching hospi. Iranian Journal of Medical Education. 2017; 17(4):43-53. [In Persian].
- Mirzazadeh A, Gandomkar R, Shahsavari H, Shariat Moharari R, Nik Nafs N, Shirazi M, et al. Applying accreditation standards in a self-evaluation process: The experience of Educational Development Center of Tehran University of Medical Sciences. J Med Edu Dev. 2016; 10(4):340-51. [In Persian].
- Frank J, Chapman MBA. Preparing for accreditation. Techniques in Gastrointestinal Endoscopy. 2011; 13(4):229-33. doi:10.1016/j.tgie.2011.07.003
- Pomey M, Louise Lemieux C, François C, Doug A, Shabah A, Contandriopoulos A-P. Does accreditation stimulate change? A study of the impact of the accreditation process on Canadian healthcare organizations. Implementation Science. 2010; 5(31):1-14. doi: 10.1186/1748-5908-5-31. [PMID: 20420685] [PMCID: PMC2882897]
- Nguyen HC, Ta TTH, Nguyen TTH. Achievements and Lessons Learned from Vietnam’s Higher Education Quality Assurance System after a Decade of Establishment. International Journal of Higher Education. 2017; 6(2):153-61. doi:10.5430/ijhe.v6n2p153
- Kelchen R. Higher Education Accreditation and the Federal Government. URBAN INSTITUTE. 2017:1-9.
- Gilavand A, Maraghi E. Assessing the Quality of Educational Services of Iranian Universities of Medical Sciences Based on the SERVQUAL Evaluation Model: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Iran J Med Sci. 2019; 44(4):273-84. doi: 10.30476/IJMS.2019.44946. [PMID: 31439970] [PMCID: PMC6661524]
- Alani F, Yaqoub Y, Hamdan M. Service Quality in Higher Education: A Case Study of Universiti Brunei Darussalam. International Education Studies. 2015; 8(4):231-45. doi:10.5539/ies.v8n4p231
- Khodadadi A, Oraki Kohshour M, Shakurnia A, Ghafourian M, Ghadiri A, Asarezadegan MA. Internal Evaluation of Immunology Department of Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences. Journal of Jundishapur Educational Development. 2014; 5(1):73-9. [In Persian].
- Safavi Farokhi Z, Bakhtiary AH, Fatemi E, Hagihasani A, Amouzadeh Khalili M. Internal evaluation of physiotherapy department of Semnan University of Medical Sciences. Koomesh. 2011; 12(4):349-56. [In Persian].
- Abedini Z, Khorami Rad A, Akhoundzade K, Heidari S. Internal Evaluation of the Department of Nursing of the School of Nursing and Midwifery Faculty in Qom University of Medical Sciences. Qom University of Medical Sciences Journal. 2013; 7(1):64-71. [In Persian].
- Ahmari Tehran H, Raisi M, Dadkhah Tehrani T, Mehran N, Jafarbegloo E. Internal Evaluation of Midwifery Department of Nursing & Midwifery Faculty in Qom University of Medical Sciences. Qom University of Medical Sciences Journal. 2013; 7(1):31-6. [In Persian].
- Ajam Zibad H, Kianmehr M, Abbasnezhad aA, Hamzei A, Moslem A, Moshari J, et al. Internal Evaluation of Department of Basic Sciences in One of the Universities of Medical Sciences in Iran in 2010. Ofoglt-e-Danesh: Journal of Gonabad University of Medical Sciences. 2011; 17(3):40-9. [In Persian].
- Najaf Zadeh MR, Morsali Z, Ganani H. Internal Evaluation of Physical Education and Sport Sciences Dept Islamic Azad University, Tabriz Branch. Journal of Instruction and Evaluation. 2014; 7(26):25-39. [In Persian].
- Mirzaei AR, Sadeghifar J, Mousavi M, Khodayari R. Internal Evaluation in Selected Educational Groups of Faculty of Medicine in Ilam University of Medical Sciences (A Short Report). Journal of Rafsanjan University of Medical Sciences. 2013; 12(1):71-8. [In Persian].
- Mosleh Amirdehi H, Neyestani MR, Jahanian I. The role of external evaluation on upgrading the quality of higher education system: Babol University of Medical Sciences case. Quarterly Journal of Research and Planning in Higher Education. 2017; 22(4): 99-111. [In Persian].
- Rahimifard H, Koohpaie AR, Arast Y, Behnamipour S, Mahdinia M. Internal Evaluation of Department of Occupational Health of Qom University of Medical Sciences in Academic Year 2010-2011. Qom University of Medical Sciences Journal. 2013; 7(1):86-91. [In Persian]
- Baziyar E, Mohammadi R. Internal evaluation of Statistics Department of Science and Culture University. Journal of Educational Measurement & Evaluation Studies. 2017; 6(15):65-98. [In Persian]
- Asiyai RI, Okoro P. Management Strategies for Improving the Functionality of Tertiary Education in Nigeria. International Journal of Higher Education. 2019; 8(4):108-14. doi:10.5430/ijhe.v8n4p108
- Khosrovan S, Mansourian MR, Kianmehr M, Shams H, Sadegh Moghaddam L, Delshad Noghabi A. Evaluation of Community and Mental Health Nursing Department of Gonabad University of Medical Sciences in 2010. Ofogh-e-Danesh. 2011; 17(1):40-9. [In Persian]
- Salimi S, Agher Zadeh N. Internal a Valuation of Nursing Groups Affiliated to Islamic Azad Universities of West Azerbaeijan Province. The Journal of Urmia Nursing and Midwifery Faculty. 2016; 14(1):21-9. [In Persian]
- Shariatmadari M, Hatami J, Eskandari A, Babamoradi R. A Survey on the Impact of In-Service Trainings for the Employees of NOET on Their performance. Educational Measurement and Evaluation Studies. 2014; 4(5): 175-99. [In Persian]
- Taheri M, Asadi A, Khoshrang H. Educational Needs Assessment of Faculty Members in GUMS. Research in Medical Education. 2007; 1(1):21-8. [In Persian]
- Feizi M, Gharibi F, Amini Daghalian B, Rauofi MB. A Survey of Cultural Infrastructure and Performance in Medical Sciences Universities of Iran. Depiction of Health. 2015; 6(1):42-53. [In Persian]
- Shoja N, Darvish Motevali M H. Evaluating the Effectiveness of Research Activities in Islamic Azad University Branches by Using Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA). Economic Modeling. 2016; 9(32): 123-41. [In Persian]