Document Type : Original Article
Department of Education Development Center, Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences, Sari, Iran
Department of Educational Sciences, Faculty of Educational and Psychology Sciences, University of Isfahan, Isfahan, Iran
Background: The dentistry profession requires a high level of soft skills whose training seems necessary to respond to the community and increase the quality of specialized practice.
Objectives: The present study was conducted to examine the status of soft skills training in dentistry basic sciences courses and identify the capabilities of each basic sciences course for the process-oriented integration of soft skills in the dentistry profession.
Methods: The present qualitative study was conducted in 2018-2019.Semi-structured interviews were used to collect the data. The study’s statistical population included the faculty members of the basic sciences of Isfahan and Mazandaran universities of medical sciences Iran, using purposive sampling. Moreover, the content analysis method was used to analyze the data.
Results: Soft skills training in the dentistry profession was not one of the educational objectives of basic sciences courses in this field, and teaching and evaluation methods used by professors had less capability to develop these skills. Additionally, the results showed that most of the identified soft skills in five domains had the integration capability in most basic sciences courses. Only some differences were observed in the integration of soft skills in the cognitiveintellectual domain.
Conclusion: It is suggested to include soft skills training in the objectives of dentistry basic sciences courses and consider the capabilities of each course and curricula to correct teaching and evaluation methods in this regard. Furthermore, it is recommended to strengthen the capabilities of basic sciences professors to integrate soft skills.
- Idrus H, Dahan HM, Abdullah N. Integrating soft skills in the teaching of hard sciences at a Private University: A Preliminary Study. Pertanika J Soc Sci. & Hum. 2014; 22 (S): 17 - 32.
- Pachauri D, Yadav A. Importance of soft skills in teacher education programme. International Journal of Educational Research and Technology. 2014; 5(1): 22-5.
- Osman WAM, Girardi A, Paull M. Educator perceptions of soft skill development: An examination within the Malaysian public higher education sector. International Journal of Learning. 2012; 18(10): 49-62.
- Chan CK, Fong ET, Luk LY, Ho R. A review of literature on challenges in the development and implementation of generic competencies in higher education curriculum. International Journal of Educational Development. 2017; 57(1): 1-10.
- Kechagias K. Teaching and assessing soft skills, MASS Project report. Neapoli, Greece: School of Thessaloniki. 2011: 189.
- Haselberger D, Oberhuemer P, Perez E, Cinque M, Capasso F. Mediating soft skills at higher education institutions: guidelines for the design of learning situations supporting soft skills achievement. Education and Culture DG Lifelong Learning Programme, European Union; 2012.
- Flaherty K. Soft skills: The critical accompaniment to technical skills. American Medical Writers Association Journal. 2014; 29(2): 70–2.
- Lau Y. Wang W. Development and evaluation of a learner-centered educational summer camp program on soft skills for baccalaureate nursing students. Nurse educator. 2014; 39(5): 246-51.
- Robles MM. Executive perceptions of the top 10 soft skills needed in today’s workplace. Business Communication Quarterly. 2012;75(4): 453-65. doi:10.1177/1080569912460400.
- Dalaya M, Ishaquddin S, Ghadage M, Hatte G. An interesting review on soft skills and dental practice. J Clin Diagn Res. 2015 Mar;9(3):ZE19-21. doi: 10.7860/JCDR/2015/12725.5719. [PMID: 25954720] [PMCID: PMC4413170]
- ALaee A, Farokhnia T, CHaharkameh M. Dentist's altitude about Empathy and related factors. J Res Dent Sci. 2016; 12(4) :208-14. [In Persian]
- Rezaee R, Mazareie E, Momeni Danaei S., Mirzaei S. Critical Thinking Skills in Shiraz Dental Students. Interdisciplinary Journal of Virtual Learning in Medical Sciences. 2014; 5(2): 35-43. [In Persian]
- Gonzalez MAG, Abu Kasim NH, Naimie Z. Soft skills and dental education. Eur J Dent Educ. 2013 May;17(2):73-82. doi: 10.1111/eje.12017. [PMID: 23574183]
- Adnan AHM, Ramalingam S, Ilias N, Tahir TM. Acquiring and practicing soft skills: A Survey of Technical-technological Undergraduates at a Malaysian Tertiary Institution. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2014; 123: 82-9. doi:10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.01.1400.
- Beard, D, Schwieger D, Surendran K. Integrating soft skills assessment through university, college, and programmatic efforts at an AACSB accredited institution. Journal of Information Systems Education. 2008; 19(2); 229-40.
- Makasiranondh W, Maj SP, Veal D. Student opinions on their development of non-technical skills in IT education. Modern Applied Science. 2011; 5(2): 3. doi:10.5539/mas.v5n2p3.
- Pritchard J. The importance of soft skills in entry-level employment and postsecondary success: Perspectives from employers and community colleges. Seattle, WA: Seattle Jobs Initiative;2013.
- Khajeghyasi RV, Liaghatdar MJ, Nili MR, Shirazi M. Ranking the soft skills of the dental profession based on the importance in job performance: A mixed method study in Isfahan and Mazandaran Universities of Medical Sciences. Dent Res J. 2021;18(1):24. doi:10.4103/1735-3327.313119. [PMID:34249250]
- Speziale HS, Streubert HJ, Carpenter DR. Qualitative research in nursing: advancing the humanistic imperative. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2011.
- Krippendorff K. Content analysis: an introduction to its methodology. 2ed. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Sage Pub: 2004.
- Murdoch‐Eaton D, Whittle S. Generic skills in medical education: Developing the tools for successful lifelong learning. Med Educ. 2012 Jan;46(1):120-8. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2923.2011.04065.x. [PMID: 22150203]
- Virtanen A, Tynjälä P. Factors explaining the learning of generic skills: a study of university students’ experiences. Teach High Educ. 2019: 24(7): 880-94. doi:10.1080/13562517.2018.1515195.
- Esa A, Padil S, Selamat A, Idris MTM. SoSTeM Model Development for Application of Soft Skills to Engineering Students at Malaysian Polytechnics. International Education Studies. 2015; 8(11): 204-10. doi:10.5539/ies.v8n11p204.
- Colak E. The effect of cooperative learning on the learning approaches of students with different learning styles. Eurasian J Educ Res. 2015; 15(59): 17-34. doi:10.14689/ejer.2015.59.2.
- Redoli J, Mompó R, de la Mata D, Doctor M. DLP: A tool to develop technical and soft skills in engineering. Comput Appl Eng Educ. 2013; 21(S1): E51-E61. doi:10.1002/cae.20572.
- Vorstenbosch MA, Klaassen TP, Donders ART, Kooloos JG, Bolhuis SM, Laan RF. Learning anatomy enhances spatial ability. Anat Sci Educ. Jul-Aug 2013;6(4):257-62. doi: 10.1002/ase.1346. [PMID: 23349122]
- Guimarães B, Firmino‐Machado J, Tsisar S, Viana B, Pinto‐Sousa M, Vieira‐Marques P, et al. The Role of Anatomy Computer‐Assisted Learning on Spatial Abilities of Medical Students. Anat Sci Educ. 2019 Mar;12(2):138-153. doi: 10.1002/ase.1795. [PMID: 29762903]
- Ma X, Luo Y, Zhang L, Wang J, Liang Y, Yu H, et al. A trial and Perceptions Assessment of APP-Based Flipped Classroom Teaching Model for Medical Students in Learning Immunology in China. Education Sciences. 2018; 8(2): 45.