Document Type : Original Article
Specialist in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Associate Professor of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Dept., Oral and Dental Disease Research Center,School of Dentistry, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Dentist, Public Health Center, Bardsir, Iran
Dentist, Prosthetics Dept., School of Dentistry, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Background & Objective : Clinical evaluation of medical students using OSCE has been introduced as an efficient way Nowadays this method is applied in some departments of Kerman School of Dentistry for clinical evaluation This research was conducted to assess the university students point of view about clinical evaluation using OSCE in Kerman University of Medical Sciences to inform educational authorities about present problems together with evaluating students opinions Methods : In this cross sectional study 89 dentistry students answered a questionnaire including 12 multiple choice questions and two open ended questions The validity and reliability of the questionnaire were already confirmed Results : According to the results of this study most of the students (786%) declared that holding practical final exams and clinical evaluation in the form of OSCE increased their stress Only 348% gave a positive reply to the question concerning whether OSCE is a useful clinical evaluation method 202 percent agreed with continuing OSCE and 613% were against it Conclusion : An increase in students stress could affect their disagreement with evaluation using OSCE Unlike students negative approach towards efficacy of holding OSCE and considering its global satisfactory results useful steps should be taken to improve OSCE and attract students satisfaction after solving pitfalls and making improvements Further studies are suggested to assess the efficacy of these actions
- Boone WJ, McWhorter AG, Seale NS. Purposeful Assessment Techniques (PAT) applied to an OSCE-based measurement of competencies in a pediatric dentistry curriculum. J Dent Educ 2001; 65 (11): 1232-7.
- Zartman RR, McWhorter AG, Seale NS, Boone WJ. Using OSCE-based evaluation: Curricular impact over time. J Dent Educ 2002; 66(12):1323-30.
- Mossey PA, Newton JP, Stirrups DR. Scope of the OSCE in the assessment of clinical skill in dentistry. Br Dent J 2002; 190 (6): 323-6.
- Hossell A. Assessment of specialist registrars in rheumatology: Experience of an Objective Structured Clinical Examination. Rhematology 2002; 41 (11): 1323-8.
- Holyfield LJ, Bolin KA, Rankin KV, Shulman JD, Eden BD. Use of computer technology to modify objective structured clinical examination. J Dent Educ 2005; 69 (10): 1133-6.
- Gerrow JD, Murphy HJ, Boyd MA, Scott DA. Concurrent validity of written and OSCE components of the Canadian dental certification examinations. J Dent Educ 2003; 67 (8): 896-901.
- Manogue M, Brown G. Developing and implementing on OSCE in dentistry. Eur J Dent Educ 1998; 2 (2): 51-7.
- Brown G, Manogue M, Martin M. The validity and reliability of an OSCE in dentistry. Eur J Dent Educ 1999; 3 (3): 117-25.
- Jalili Z, Noohi E, Ahmadpour B. Investigation of medical stagers and interns satisfaction on OSCE as a clinical skill evaluation method in Kerman University of Medical Sciences. SDME 2005; 2(1): 18-24. [In Persian]
- Noohi E, Motesadi M, Haghdoost A. Clinical teachersُ viewpoints towards Objective Structured Clinical Examination in Kerman University of Medical Sciences. IJME 2008; 8(1): 113-9. [In Persian]
- Massomi M, Ebadi A. OSCE in Clinical evaluation of nursing students. Scientific Journal of Education Strategies 2007; 1(1): 19-26. [In Persian]
- Clancy JM, Lindquist TJ, Palik JF, Johnson LA. A comparison of student performance in a stimulation clinic and a traditional laboratory environment: Three year results. J Den Educ 2002; 66 (12): 1331-7.
- Chehrzad MM, Shafiepour SZ, Mirzaei M, Kazemnejad E. Comparison between two methods: Objective Structured Clinical Evaluation (OSCE) and traditional on nursing students’ satisfaction. Journal of Guilan University of Medical Sciences 2004; 13 (50): 8-13. [In Persian]
- Schoonheim-kein ME, Habets LL, Aartman IH, Van der Vleuten CP, Hoogstraten J, Van der Velden U. Implementing an Objective Structured Clinical Examination (OSCE) in dental education: Effects on students’ learning strategies. Eur J dent Educ 2006; 10 (4): 226- 35.