Document Type : Original Article
M.Sc. in Nursing, Instructor of Internal-surgical Dep., Nursing & Midwifery School, ,Islamic University, Kerman, Iran
Background & Objective: The development of each community is highly dependent on its educated individuals Therefore recognition of factors influencing academic achievement of students and attention to these factors are essential for success T he aim of the present study was to determine the relationship between academic achievement and two factors of general health and coping styles among undergraduate students Methods: In this descriptive crosssectional study 302 Nursing Midwifery and Health students of Kerman Azad University were studied Grade point average was considered as an indicator of academic achievement and all participants were asked to complete Goldberg general health questionnaire (GHQ28) and Endler ;Parker questionnaire of coping inventory for stressful situation (CISS) Results: The Most Frequent average total score was 141699 (out of 20) In 633% of students total score of General Health was not in the normal range Students used taskoriented coping style more frequently than other styles (% 49)There was a significant negative relationship between academic achievement and two studied factors of general health and emotionoriented coping style Conclusion: Since general health and copying style can have significant effects on students academic achievement the presence of active counseling centers in universities for improving general health level of students and teaching effective copying styles is highly necessary
- Jones MC, Johnston DW. Distress, stress and coping in first year student nurses. J Adv Nurse1997; 26(3): 475-82.
- Long BC, Phipps WJ, Cassmeyer VL. Medical surgical nursing: A nursing process approach. St Louis: Mosby co; 1993.
- Acuda SW. Mental health and student wastage. East African Med J 1983; 60(11): 737-8.
- Penley JA, Tomaka J. Associations among the big five emotional responses and coping with acute stress. Personality and Individual Differences 2002; 32(7):1215-28.
- Barbara SR, Irwin SG. [Abnormal psychology]. Najarian B, Asghari Moghadam MA, Dehghani M. (Translator). Tehran: Roshd Pub; 2008. [ In Persian]
- Endler ND, Parker JD. Multidimensional assessment of coping: A critical evaluation. J Pers Soc Psychol 1990; 54(5): 466-75.
- Fahs ME. Coping in school: Correlations among perceptions of stress, coping styles, personal attributes and academic achievement in inner-city junior high school students. San Francisco: Annual Meeting of American Educational Research Association; 1986: 16-20.
- Gonzales NA, Tein JY, Sandler IN, Friedman RJ. On the limits of coping: Interaction between Stress and coping for inner city adolescents. Journal of Adolescents Research 2001; 16: 372-96.
- Repak N. Emotional fatigue: Coping whit academic pressure. Available From: URL: http:// www. gradre sources. org/articles/emotional_fatigue.shtml.
- Goldberg DP, Hillier VF. A scaled version of general health questionnaire. Psychol Med 1979; 9: 131-45.
- Noorbala AA, Bagheri Yazdi SA, Mohammad K. [The validation of general health questionnaire- 28 as a psychiatric screening tool]. Hakim Research Journal 2009; 11(4): 47-53. [ In Persian]
- Taghavi SMR. [Validity and Reliability of the General Health Questionnaire (GHQ)]. J Psychol 2002; 5(4): 80-9. [In Persian]
- Shokri O, Taghilou S, Geravand F, Paeizi M, Moulaei M, Abdelah Pour M, et al. [Factor structure and psychometric properties of the Farsi version of the coping inventory for stressful situations (CISS)]. Advances in Cognitive Science 2008; 10(3(39)): 22-33. [ In Persian]
- Jahani Hashemi H, Noroozi K. [Mental health in student in Qazvin University of Medical Sciences]. Payesh 2004; 3(2):145-52.[ In Persian]
- Behrouzian F, Neamat Pour S. [Stressors coping strategies and their relation with general health of first year students of Ahvaz University of Medical Sciences in 2005]. Ahvaz University Scientific Medical Journal 2007; 6(3): 283-91. [In Persian]
- Ahmadi Z, Sahbaei F, Mohammad Zade SH, Mahmoodi M. [Surveying health status in nursing students and non-nursing students Islamic Azad University – Branch of Shahrood and Comparison they with others]. Islamic Azad University Medical Science Journal 2007; 17(2):107-11. [ In Persian]
- Morrison JM, Moffat KJ. More on medical students stress. Med Edu 2001; 35: 617-8.
- Shokri O, Farzad Vali E, Moradi AR, Sangari AA, Ghanaie Z, Rezaie A. [The role of personality traits and coping styles on university students' mental health: Introducing causal models]. Advances in Cognitive Science 2005; 7(1): 28-38. [ In Persian]
- Jafar Nejad P, Farzad VA, Moradi AR, Shokri O. [A study of the relationship between the big five factors of personality, coping styles and mental health in undergraduate students]. Journal of Psychology and Education 2005; 35(1): 51-74. [ In Persian]
- Rafati F, Shafiei N, Sharifi F, Ahmadi J. [The effect of psychological status of students on their academic progress]. Journal of Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences & Health Services 2003; 11(3): 80-6. [ In Persian]
- Haddadi Koohsar AA, Roshan R, Asghar Nejad Farid AA. [A comparative study of the relationship emotional intelligence with mental health and academic achievement in Shahed and Non-Shahed Students in University of Tehran]. Journal of Psychology & Education 2007; 37(1): 73-97. [ In Persian]
- Shokri O, Kadivar P, Daneshvarpour Z. [The role of coping styles in academic stress and academic achievement]. Journal of Iranian Psychologists 2007; 3(11): 249-57. [ In Persian]
- Nurmi JE, Aunola K, Salmela-Aro K, Lindroos M. The role of success expectation and task-avoidance in academic performance and satisfaction: Three studies on antecedents, consequences and correlates. Contemporary Educational Psychology 2003; 289(10): 59-90.
- Khayer M, Seyf D. [Study of the relationship between coping with stress skills and academic achievement of undergraduate students in relation to some demographic factors]. Daneshvar Raftar 2004; 11(4): 25-34. [ In Persian]