Document Type : Original Article
Specialist in Community & Preventive Medicine, Assistan professor of Community & Preventive Medicin Dept., Medical School, Kerman University of Medical sciences, Iran.
Specialist in Internal Medicine, Associate professor of Internal Medicine Dept., Medical School, Kerman University of Medical sciences, Iran.
Ph.D. in Virology, Associate professor of Virology Dept., Medical School, Kerman University of Medical sciences, Iran.
Background & Objectives: Even so much of the knowledge and skills of medical students is aquiered during clinical course in many educational systems students are kept away from clinical setting during their first academic years Methods: This study was an interventional study carried out by Educational Development Office in the school of Medicine in 2009 All Second semester students were selected through census method Students attitudes towards medical profession were evaluated using a questionnaire The validity of the questionnaire confirmed by a number of experts and its reliability was determined using Cronbachs Alpha 0 65 Early clinical exposure course was held for subjects and within two weeks after the course they were asked to complete the questionnaire again Each question was rated using Likert scale and mean scores of each student before and after the intervention were calculated and compared by using paired ttest Results: From 85 students 62 ones completed the questionnaire before and after the course From all 36 ones (58 %) were female and 26 ones (42 %) were male Mean age of students was 1912(± 073) years and their mean average of the first semester was 1624(± 11) There was no significant difference between the students attitude toward medical profession before and after the course Conclusion: Although the present study couldnt detect significant change in students attitude toward medical profession the results of other studies show that early clinical exposure provides an opportunity for the students to learn subjects practically and beyond mere theory
- Mahmoudi M. Vahydshahy K, Ahangari M, Ranjbar M, Shirzad S . Early clinical exposure for medical students in basic sciences phase.Tehran: parvaneh danesh; 2007: [In persian].
- Yazdani S, Hosseini F., Homayoun Zand R. General medical educational reform program, phase of Sciences, Principles and approaches.Tehran:137; 2001: 313-314 [In persian].
- Johason AK, Scott CS. Relationship between early clinical exposure and first year students’ attitudes toward medical education. Academic Medicine. 1998;73(4): 430-432.
- Leserman j. Changes in the professional orientation of medical students: a follow up study. Journal of Medical Education 1980; 55(5): 415-22.
- Johnson AK, Scott CS. Relationship between early clinical exposure and first-year students' attitudes toward medical education. Academic Medicine. 1998;73(4):430-2.
- Lam TP. Irwin M. Early introduction of clinical skills teaching in a medical curriculum–factors affecting students’ learning. Medical Education. 2002; 36(3): 233-40.
- Rooks L, Watson R. A primary care preceptorship first-year medical students coordinated by an Area Health Education Center program: a six-year review. Academic Medicine. 2001;76(5):489–92.
- Shirzad H, Moezzi M, Khadivi , Sadeghi B, Madhkhan A . Effect of early clinical exposure on attitude and performance of first year medical students, Journal of Shahrekord Universit Of Medical Sciences, 2011; 13(1);69-79.
- Weeks WB, Robinson JL. Using early clinical experiments to integrate quality improvement learning into medical education. Academic Medicine 2000;75(1):81-4.
- Wilkson T, Gower S. The earlier the better: the effect of early community contact on the attitudes of medical students to older people. Medical Education 2002;36(6): 540-542.
- Cavenagh P, Dewberry C, Jones P. Becoming professional: when and how does it start? A comperative study of first-year medical and law student in the UK. Medical Education. 2000;34(11): 897–902.
- McLean M. Sometimes we do get it right! Early clinical contact is a rewarding experience. Education for Health: Change in Learning & Practice, (Abingdon). 2004 Mar;17(1):42-52.
- Adibi I. Abedi Z. Memarzadeh M. Adibi P. Early Clinical Encounter: Report of an Intervention. Iranian Journal of Medical Education. 2002;1(5):5-12. [In persian].
- Kojuri J, Kadivar M, Sagheb M, et all. Assessment of success of the early exposure to patient program in first – year medical students, Shiraz. Abstracts of the tenth national congress on medical education. 2009; 125, 306, 325; [In persian].
- Eika B. Mølgaard H. Sonne O. Jørgensen JO. Early clinical exposure--an instant success. The new medical curriculum at the University of Aarhus]. Uqeskr Laeger. 2001;163(26):3626-9.