Document Type : Original Article
Ph.D. in Nursing, Associate Professor, Department of Internal-Surgical Nursing, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
M.Sc. in Medical Education, Department of Medical Education, School of Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Ph.D. in Endodontics, Associate Professor, Department of Endodontics, School of Dentistry, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
M.Sc. in Nursing, Lecturer, Department of Pediatrics, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Ph.D. in Immunology, Professor, Department of Immunology, School of Medicine, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences, Mashhad, Iran
Background & Objective: One of the most important factors in the evaluation of specific performance indices of each university is the professional maintenance and promotion of faculty members This will result in more desirable output results from this system The aim of this study was to explore describe and interpret faculty members experiences of the academic promotion process and its obstacles and problems Methods: A phenomenological approach was used in this research The study population consisted of 22 faculty members of Mashhad University of Medical Sciences Iran who were selected through purposeful sampling Data were collected through semistructured interviews and analyzed using the van Manen method Results: The main theme of passing the academic promotion marsh and 5 subthemes emerged from data analysis The subthemes consisted of problems related to administrative processes problems related to the performance of committees problems related to general competence problems related to the academic promotion guideline and motivational factors Conclusion: Our findings emphasize the problems and barriers of the promotion process Quality assessment homogenization of processes and the use of experts in college committees are some of the factors that affect the promotion process The findings of this study can assist policymakers and administrators of Medical Sciences Universities at different levels in decision making and finding solutions to facilitate the academic promotion process and rectify its problems and obstacles
- Teymouri M, Tootoonchi M, Salehi M, Hassanzadeh A. Job Satisfaction among Faculty Members of Isfahan University of Medical Sciences. Iran J Med Educ 2007; 7(2):227-36. [In Persian]
- Zohal M, Yazdani S, Ghasemi Z, Homayounizand R, Mohebbifar R, Pakniat H. Assessing the effective factors of academic promotion rank of the faculty members of Qazvin Medical University from their point of view, 2011-12. J Med Educ Dev 2012; 5(2):35-41. [In Persian]
- Bunton SA, Corrice AM. Perceptions of the Promotion Process: An Analysis of U.S. Medical School Faculty. Association of American Medical Colleges 2011; 11(5):1-2.
- Mohammadi H, Mir Hossein S. A comparative study of criteria Faculty members development in higher education. J Sci Technol Policy Res 2008;3(1):90-106. [In Persian]
- Liu CQ, Alexander H. Promotion rates for first-time assistant and associate professors appointed from 1967 to 1997. AAMC Analysis in Brief 2010; 9(7). [Cited 2001 May 8]. Available from: www.aamc.org/download/121130/data/aibvol9_no7.pdf.
- Guglielmo BJ, Edwards DJ, Franks AS, Naughton CA, Schonder KS, Stamm PL, et al. A critical appraisal of and recommendations for faculty development. Am J Pharm Educ 2011;75(6):122.
- Todisco A, Souza RF, Gores GJ. Trains, tracks, and promotion in an academic medical center. Gastroenterology 2011; 141(5):1545-8.
- Majdzadeh R, Nejat Sh, Gholami Z, Rashidian A. Satisfaction and opinions of Tehran University of Medical Sciences academic members on its development programs, 2006.TUMS J Payavard Salamat 2008; 2(1):617. [In Persian]
- Jalili M, Mirzazadeh A, Jaffarian A. The concept of scholarship: educational scholarship and its application in Iran. Iran J Med Educ 2009; 9(2):167-79. [In Persian]
- Wiese GC, Percuoco RE, Pickar JG, Duray SM, Faruqui SR, Schmiedel GO, et al. Development of an evidence-based application and rubric for evaluating applicants' qualifications for promotion to professor. J Manipulative Physiol Ther. 2007; 30(7):52735.
- Sanfey H. Promotion to professor: a career development resource. American J Surg 2010; 200(4):554-7.
- Dolani A, Hariri N, Mohammadhassanzadeh H, Valinejadi A. A Review of Qualitative Research and Current Data Analysis Software. J Health Administration 2012;15(47):77-90. [In Persian]
- Karimi Moonaghi H, Derakhshan A, Khajedalouei M, Dashti Rahmat abadi M, Binaghi T. Lived clinical learning experiences of medical students: a qualitative approach]. Iran J Med Educ 2012; 11(6):635-47. [In Persian]
- Karimi Moonaghi H. Qualitative research parallel to quantitative research. J Managemen Med Info 2005; 7(18):60-8. [In Persian]
- Karimi Moonaghy H, Zubin F, Yavari M, Noghredani M, Abdollahi H. Nurses' experience of dealing with dying patients. J Nurs Midwifery Urmia Univ Med Sci 2013; 11(9):688-97. [In Persian]
- Gardner SK, Blackstone A. “Putting in your time”: Faculty Experiences in the Process of Promotion to Professor. Innovative Higher Education 2013; 38(5):1-15.
- Kimuna SC. (dissertation). In their own words: Tenure and promotion experiences and perceptions of African American faculty at a historically White university. Ann Arbor: Ohio University; 2005:1-182.
- MazloomyMahmoodabad SS, Norouzi S, Norouzi A, MirzaeiAlavijeh M. Educational needs of faculty members of Shahid Sadoughi University of Medical Sciences in 2011. J Med Educ Dev 2012 7(3):79-92. [In Persian]
- Jabari F, Rajaeipor S, Jafari SE. Survey job motivation of faculty members of Isfahan universities Isfahan universities of Medical Sciences According to Herzberg's theory. J Healthcare Info Manage 2004; 1(1):15-20. [In Persian]
- Mokhtarnia M, Rezvanfar A, Pouratashi M. An investigation of the achievement motivation of faculty members based upon their job satisfaction dimensions case. Iran J Agricultural Economics Dev 2012;42(4):64754. [In Persian].
- Asayesh H, Ghorbani M, Safari R, Borghaei A, Rezapour A, Mansoorian M, et al. Effective factors on educational and research activities of the teachers in Golestan University of Medical Sciences. Iran J Med Educ 2011; 11(3):294-5. [In Persian]
- Gandomkar R, Salsali M, Mirzazadeh A. Factors influencing medical education in clinical environment: experiences of clinical faculty members. Iran J Med Educ 2011;11(3):279-90. [In Persian]
- Hosaini J, Haji F, Niae M, Nouri M, Blordi A, Negahban E. Overview of the clinical faculty evaluation indices, provide an appropriate model for assessing. Proceedings of the 8th Conference of Medical Education; 2007 Mar 6-8; Kerman, Kerman University of Medical Science. 2007: 115. [In Persian]
- Amidi Mazaheri M, Karbasi M, Mostafavi F. Challenges of Social, Cultural and Educational Activities in Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Iran. Health Info Manage 2012; 8(8):1172-90. [In Persian]
- Dehghani M, Nakhaee N. Faculty evaluation by students: a review of criticisms. Strides Dev Med Educ 2013; 9(2):102-9. [In Persian]
- Ghafourian Borujerdi M, Shakournia A, Elhampour H. Evaluation results feed back to faculty members of Ahvaz Medical University and its effect on improving the quality of teaching. Iran J Med Educ 2003;3(2):41-6. [In Persian]
- Simpson D, Hafler J, Brown D, Wilkerson L. Documentation systems for educators seeking academic promotion in US medical schools. Acad Med 2004; 79(8):783-90.