Document Type : Brief report
M.Sc. in Curriculum Studies, Department of Educational Sciences, School of Literature and Humanities, Shahed University, Tehran, Iran
Ph.D. Student in Curriculum Studies, Department of Curriculum, School of Educational Sciences and Psychology, Allameh Tabatabai University, Tehran, Iran
M.Sc. in Educational Planning, Department of Educational Sciences, School of Literature and Humanities, Shahed University, Tehran, Iran
Background & Objective: One of the main goals of higher education is evaluating teachers educational performance to improve teaching The results may be used to increase the teachers job performance and to promote teaching and learning processes In this regard students evaluation of their teachers is one of the most common evaluation methods in universities and educational centers Thus this study aimed to compare the faculty members and students viewpoints about the factors influencing evaluation of teachers by students Methods: In this crosssectional descriptive study 93 teachers and 93 students selected via stratified random sampling method were enrolled The data collection tool was a researchermade questionnaire containing 3 dimensions moral and behavioral (8 items) educational (10 items) and compliance with training rules (8 items); the face and content validities were confirmed by academic specialists and its reliability was confirmed Data analysis was carried out using SPSS20 statistical software and with help of descriptive statistics and independentt test Results: From the teachers viewpoint the overall mean score of the moral and behavioral educational and compliance with training rules factors were 345 (± 052) 432 (± 084) and 459 (± 058) respectively From the students viewpoints these values were 325 (± 047) 404 (±078) and 436 (± 071) respectively Independentt test showed that with the assumption of equality of variances there were not any significant differences between the characteristics Conclusion: Efforts for improving teacher evaluation in universities with the assistance of authorities and experts and on the one hand using the results in curriculum content of inservice teachers can help much to improve teaching quality
- Bazarghan A. Educational Evaluation. Tehran: Samt Pub; 2012. [In Persian]
- Ranjbar M, VahidShahi C, Mahmoudi M. Viewpoints of the attendings and medical students about the Students' evaluation of the attendings, Mazandaran. J Mazandaran Univ Med Sci. 2007; 16(56): 126-35. [In Persian]
- Richardson JTE. Instruments for obtaining student feedback: a review of the literature. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education. 2005; 30(4): 387-415.
- Bland CJ, Wersal L, VanLoy W, Jacott W. Evaluating faculty performance: a systematically designed and assessed approach. Acad Med. 2002; 77(1):15-30.
- Adhami A, Reihani H, Fattahi Z, Nakhaee N, FasihiHarandi z. Comprison of student assessment of educational performance of the faculty with the teachers self assessment in Kerman University of Medical Sciences. J Strides Dev Med Educ. 2005;2(1): 25-32. [In Persian]
- Peterson KD. Teacher evaluation comprehensive guide to new direction and practice. California: Corwin Press; 1995.
- Crumbley L, Henry BK, Kratchman SH. Students' perceptions of the evaluation of college teaching. Quality Assurance in Education. 2001; 9(4): 197-207.
- Adhami A, Nakhaee N, Fasihi Harandi T, Fattahi Z. Preliminary assessment of the validity and reliability of the evaluation questionnaires by the students regarding teaching methods of the faculty members of Kerman University of Medical Sciences in 2002-2003. J Strides Dev Med Educ. 2005; 1(2): 121-129. [In Persian]
- Naftulin DH, Ware JE Jr, Donnelly FA. The Doctor Fox Lecture: a paradigm of educational seduction. J Med Educ. 1973; 48(7):630-5.
- Zohoor A, Eslaminejad T. Teacher's effective teaching criteria as viewed by the students of Kerman University of Medical Education. J Med Educ. 2009; 4(2): 65-70.
- Fulda JS. Student evaluations of teaching: brought to you by computer. Br J Educ Technol. 2000; 31(1): 81-2.
- Hake RR. Problems with student evaluations: Is assessment the remedy?. [Cited 2002 Apr 25]. Available from: http://www.stu.ca/~hunt/hake.htm.
- Ziaee M, Miri M, Haji-Abadi M, Azarkar GH, Asbak P. Academic staff and student impressions on academic evaluation of students. J Birjand Univ Med Sci. 2007; 13(4): 9-15. [In Persian]
- Totonchi M, Changiz T, Alipour L, Yemani N. Faculty Members’ Viewpoints towards Teacher Evaluation Process in Isfahan University of Medical Science. Iran J Med Educ. 2006;6(1):23-31. [In Persian]
- Emercy C, Kramer K, TianR. Return to academic standards: Challenge the student evaluation of teaching effectiveness. Quality Assurance in Education. 2003; 11(1): 37-46.
- Green ME, Ellis CL, Fremont P, Batty H. Faculty evaluation in department of family medicine: Do our universities measure up?. Med Educ. 1998; 32(6):597-606.
- Bardes CL, Hayes JG. Are the teachers teaching? Measuring the educational activities of clinical faculty. Acad Med. 1995; 70(2):111-4.
- Copeland HL, Hewson MG. Developing and testing an instrument to measure the effectiveness of clinical teaching in an academic medical center. Acad Med. 2000;75(2):161-6.
- Irby DM, Gillmore GM, Ramsey PG. Factors affecting ratings of clinical teachers by medical students and residents. J Med Educ. 1987; 62(1):17.
- Wachtel HK. Student evaluation of college teaching effectiveness: A brief review. Assessment and Evaluation in Higher Education. 1998; 23(2):191-8.
- Ghorji Y. (dissertation). The relation between professors’ social popularity from students’ point of view and their evaluation manner of educational activities. Tehran: Allameh Tabatabai University; 1994. [In Persian]
- Aghamollaei T, Abedini S. Comparison of Self and Students' Evaluation of Faculty Members in School of Health of Hormozgan University of Medical Sciences. Iran J Med Educ. 2008; 7(2): 191-9. [In Persian]
- Ghoharian V, Kafali Z, Yamani N, Omidifar N, Safaei M. Comparing Resident Evaluation Of Attending Surgeons To Attendings Self-Evaluation. Iran J Med Educ. 2005; 5(1): 62-9. [In Persian]
- Shakournia A, Elhampour H, Mozafari AR, DashtBozorgi B. Ten Year Trends in Faculty Members' Evaluation Results in Jondi Shapour University of Medical Sciences. Iran J Med Educ. 2008; 7(2): 309-16. [In Persian]
- Shakurnia A, Fakoor M, Elhampour H, et al. Evaluation of vaidity and reliability of the questionnaire of student evaluation of teaching. Jundishapur Sci Med J. 2011; 10(6): 583-93. [In Persian]
- Nakhaee N, Saeed AR. 360-degree evaluation method in clinical evaluation of residents: a pilot study on feasibility, validity and reliability. J Strides Dev Med Educ. 2011; 7(2): 99-103. [In Persian]
- Motlagh ME, Jahanmardi A. Student Ratings of Instruction: True or False?. Iran J Med Educ. 2002; 2:38 – 9. [In Persian]
- Shakurnia A, Fakoor M, Elhampoor H, Et al. The correlation between students evaluation of faculty and faculty self-assessment in Ahvaz Jodishapour University of Medical Sciences in 2008. Iran J Med Educ. 2010; 10(3): 229-37. [In Persian]