Document Type : Original Article
M.Sc. in Nursing, Razi School of Nursing and Midwifery, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
M.Sc. in Nursing, Instructor, Department of Internal-Surgical Nursing AND Nursing Research Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Ph.D. in Nursing, Assistant Professor, Department of Internal-Surgical Nursing AND Nursing Research Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Background & Objective: Nurses experience numerous stressors Nursing students despite their limited experience are forced to face many stressors and this will cause academic burnout among them Resiliency has a key role in the reduction of negative consequences and increasing of positive consequences of stress and thus can impact academic burnout This study was performed to determine the relationship between resiliency and academic burnout in nursing students of Kerman University of Medical Sciences Iran Methods: This descriptivecorrelational study was conducted on 161 nursing students Demographic characteristics form the ConnorDavidson Resilience Scale (CDRISC) and Academic Burnout Questionnaire (Breso et al) were used to collect data The results were analyzed using Pearson correlation coefficient independent ttest and ANOVA in SPSS software P < 005 was considered as the significant level Results: In this study 154 (957%) participants were 1924 years old of whom 627% were women and 373% were men The mean scores of academic burnout and resiliency were 4156 ± 865 and 6632 ± 1157 respectively The results of Pearson correlation coefficient indicated an inverse statistical correlation between academic burnout and resiliency (r = 026 P = 0001) Conclusion: In the present study a significant relationship was observed between academic burnout and resiliency among nursing students of Kerman University of Medical Sciences Students with higher resiliency reported lower academic burnout
- Adhami A, Nouhi E, Mohammadalizadeh S, Jalili Z, Fattahi Z. Faculty members attitude toward academic advising and their viewpoints about counseling duties. Iran J Med Educ. 2008;8(1): 7-14. [In Persian]
- Samani S, Jokar B, Sahragard N. Effects of Resilience on Mental Health and Life Satisfaction. Iran J Psychiatry Clinical Psychology. 2007;13(3): 290-5. [In Persian]
- Behrouzi N, Eilaghi M. Perfectionism perceived stress and social support academic burnout. Strategy for Culture. 2013; 5(20): 83-103. [In Persian]
- Nasri S, Ebrahim Domavandi M, Kargar A. Relationship work - family conflict and academic motivation with academic burnout in postgraduate students of SRTTU. Res Educ. 2014; 1(2): 25-31. [In Persian]
- Badri R, Mesrabadi J, Palangi M, Fathi R. Factor structure of the school burnout questionnaire via confirmatory factor analysis in high school students. J Training Measurement. 2012; 3(7): 165-83. [In Persian]
- Naami A. Relationship between Quality of learning experiences and academic amotivation in graduate students of Shahid Chamran University. J Studies in Learning & Instruction. 2011; 3(1): 22-6. [In Persian]
- Lee RT, Ashforth BE. A meta-analytic examination of the correlates of the three dimensions of job burnout. J Appl Psychol. 1996;81(2):123-33.
- Zhang Y, Gan Y, Cham H. Perfectionism, academic burnout and engagement among Chinese college students: A structural equation modeling analysis. Pers Individ Dif. 2007;43(6): 1529-40.
- Karashki H, BahmanAbadi S, Baloochzadeh, F. Determining the role of achievement goals in mediating the relationship of class’s value structure and students’ academic achievement: a descriptive study. Iran Teach J Med Sci. 2012; 13(2); 123-33. [In Persian]
- Charkhabi M, Azizi Abarghuei M, Hayati D. The association of academic burnout with selfefficacy and quality of learning experience among Iranian students. Springerplus. 2013;2(1):677.
- Ahola K, Hakanen J. Job strain, burnout, and depressive symptoms: a prospective study among dentists. J Affect Disord. 2007;104(1-3):103-10.
- Durán A, Extremera N, Rey L, FernándezBerrocal P, Montalbán FM. Predicting academic burnout and engagement in educational settings: assessing the incremental validity of perceived emotional intelligence beyond perceived stress and general self-efficacy. Psicothema. 2006;18 Suppl:158-64.
- McAllister M, McKinnon J. The importance of teaching and learning resilience in the health discipline. Nurse Educ Today. 2009;29(4):371-9.
- Ahern NR. (desertation). Resiliency in adolescent college students.A dissertation in partial fulfillment of the requirements for the degree of doctor of philosophy in the school of nursing. Florida: University of Central Florida; 2007.
- Zakeri H, Jowkar B, Razmjoee M. Parenting styles and resilience. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2010;5: 1067-70.
- Abolghasemi A, Varaniyab ST. Resilience and perceived stress: predictors of life satisfaction in the students of success and failure. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2010;5:748-52.
- Howe A, Smajdor A, Stöckl A. Towards an understanding of resilience and its relevance to medical training. Med Educ. 2012; 46(4):349-56.
- Hodges HF, Keeley AC, Troyan PJ. Professional resilience in baccalaureate-prepared acute care nurses: first steps. Nurs Educ Perspect. 2008; 29(2):80-9.
- Bogar CB, Hulse-Killachy D. Resiliency determinates and resiliency processes among female adult surnivors of childhood sexual abuse. J Counseling Dev. 2006;84(3):31-27.
- Rísquez MIR, Garcia CC, Sabuco Tebar EDLA. Resilience and burnout syndrome in nursing students and its relationship with sociodemographic variables and interpersonal relationship. Int 2015;5(1):88-95. J Psychological Res.
- Bagherzadeh Ladari R, Sadeghi M, Haghshenas M, Mousavi S, Yazdani Çherati J. Study of the relationship between locus of control and academic achievement among students of Mazandaran University of Medical Sciences. J Mazandaran Univ Med Sci. 2010; 20 (77):30-5. [In Persian]
- Brouwers A, Tomic W. A longitudinal study of teacher burnout and perceived self efficacy classroom management. Teaching and Teacher Education. 2000; 16(2): 239-53.
- Sharififard F, Norouzi K, Hosieni M, Asayesh H, Norouzi M. Related factors with academic burnout in nursing and paramedics students of Qom University of Medical Sciences in 2014. J Nursing Educ. 2014; 3(3): 59-68. [In Persian]
- Heydari S, Maktabi GH. Compare cultural intelligence, loneliness, burnout and mental health education graduate students, native and nonnative. J Women and Culture 2011; 3 (9): 45-57. [In Persian]
- Azimi M, Piri M, Zavar T. Relationship of academic burnout and self-regulated learning with academic performance of high school students. J Curriculum Planning Knowledge & Research in Educational Sciences. 2013; 10 (11): 116-28. [In Persian]
- Yang HY, Farn CK. An investigation the factors affecting MIS student burnout in technical- vocational college. Computers in human behavior. 2005; 21(6): 917-32.
- Karimi Y, Bashirpur M, Khabbaz M, Hedayati A. Comparison between perfectionism and social support dimensions and academic burnout in students. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2014; 159: 5763.
- Huang C. Hardiness and stress: a critical review. Matern Child Nurs J. 1995;23(3):82-9.
- Connor KM, Davidson JR. Development of a new resilience scale: the Connor-Davidson Resilience Scale (CD-RISC). 2003;18(2):76-82. Depress Anxiety.
- Mohamadi A, Aghagani M, Zehtabvar GH. Addiction and its relation with resilience and emotional components. Iran J Psychiatry Clinical Psychology. 2011; 17(2): 136-42. [In Persian]
- Sharifi HP, Sharifi N, Tangestani Y. Prediction of educational improvement based on self-efficacy, self-regulation and creativity of students in islamic azad university, roudehen branch. J Educational Administration Research Quarterly. 2013; 4(4): 157-78. [In Persian]
- Bresó E, Salanova M, Schaufeli WB. In search of the “third dimension” of burnout: Efficacy or inefficacy? Applied psychology. 2007; 56 (3): 460-72.
- Marzoughi R, Haidari M, Haidari A. The impact of educational justice on students’ academic Burnout in the University of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation Science, Tehran, Iran. Strides Dev Med Educ. 2013; 10(3): 328-34. [In Persian]
- Beauvais AM, Stewart JG, DeNisco S, Beauvais JE. Factors related to academic success among nursing students: a descriptive correlational research study. 2014;34(6):918-23. Nurse Educ Today.
- Hayati D, Oghahi A, Hosaini Ahangari S, Azizi Abarghoei M. Investigating the relationships between quality of learning experience’s components and self-efficacy on academic burnout among students of Allamme Tabatabaei University of Tehran. J Educational Development of Jundishapur. 2012; 3(4): 18- 29. [In Persian]
- Akgemci T, Demirsel M T, Kara O. The effect of psychological resilience on employes burnout level. Academic J Interdisciplinary Studies. 2013;2(11): 122-8.
- Ajam Akrami A, Rezaei T, Bayani A. Relationship between Hope to work and academic motivation and academic burnout. J Knowledge Health. 2015; 10(1): 44-50. [In Persian]
- Momeni KH, Akbari M, atash zade Shouride F. Relationship resiliency and burnout in nurses. Teb and Tazkiyeh 2009;(75-74): 37-47[Persian]
- Pourafzal1 F, Seyedfatemi N, Inanloo M, Hamid Haghani4. Relationship between Perceived Stress with Resilience among Undergraduate Nursing Students. J Hayat. 2013; 19(1): 41-52. [In Persian]