Document Type : Original Article
Ph.D. in Health Education and Health Promotion, Department of Nursing, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Qazvin University of Medical Sciences, Qazvin, Iran
M.Sc. in Medical Education, School of Medicine, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Ph.D. in Higher Education Management, Assistant Professor, Department of Community Medicine, School of Medicine, Qazvin University of Medical Sciences, Qazvin, Iran
Background & Objective: Students participation in the classroom is a feature of many educational designs This can include scholarly and interesting ideas by students and results in the creation of positive energy and enthusiasm in the classroom atmosphere However if not managed students participation may cause burnout among teachers and confusion for students This review study aimed to assess models for students participation in the classroom and provide a general guideline to improve it Methods: To perform this review study PRISMA flow diagram was used First available scientific websites were searched using the related keywords and 35 articles were retrieved Due to inappropriate contents or repetition of ideas 25 articles were excluded Thus 10 articles which had discussed the issue and its guidelines more comprehensively were selected Parts of the contents were selected and combined to provide a brief guideline for university faculties and instructors Results: The selected studies were review studies conducted in Canada and the United States The contents of the studies included advantages of students participation in teaching strategies to increase participation reasons for the lack of participation and classification and evaluation of student participation Conclusion: Regarding the importance of students participation in the overall quality of teaching faculties are recommended to try to enhance students participation in teaching
- Mahmoodi SM. Teaching skills development manual: a guide for teachers of health workers. (Translation). Cristian E. Tehran: Boostan Pub; 1998:84-108. [In Persian]
- Rodriguez L. Classroom Management. [Cited 2011 Sep 30]. Available from: http://www.4faculty.org/includes/108r2.jsp
- Eyni A. Classroom Management. Monthly growth of educational technology. 2014; 29(8): 10-13. [In Persian]
- Mesrabadi J, Badri R, Vahedi Sh. The role of implementation of teacher’s various authority resources on students’ misbehaviors rate. J Psychology. 2011; 5(19): 135-57. [In Persian]
- Daniel D, Reynolds D. Effective teaching: Evidence and practice. 2nd Ed. Los Angeles: SAGE; 2011: 25-31.
- Shariati M, Dadgari A. Learning guide. Tehran: Hayan Pub; 2007: 82-8. [In Persian]
- Zohoor AR, Eslaminejad T. Indicators of effective teaching from the view of students. Payesh. 2003; 1(4): 5-13. [In Persian]
- Mesrabadi J, Piri M, Ostavar N. Diversity and prevalence of students’ indiscipline behaviors from the viewpoints of Tabriz secondary school teachers. J Educational Innovations. 2014; 12(48): 111-26. [In Persian]
- Bakhshayesh A. Investigating the relationship between classroom management styles and personality traits of Yazd primary school teachers. J New Approaches in Educational Administration. 2013; 2(14): 185-97. [In Persian]
- Baseri Sh. What is a management trainer class?. Monthly nasime vahy. 2012; 47: 18. [In Persian]
- Nandi PL, Chan JN, Chan CP, Chan P, Chan LP. Undergraduate medical education: comparison of problem-based learning and conventional teaching. Hong Kong Med J. 2000; 6(3):301-6.
- Simonsen B, Fairbanks S, Briesch A, Myers D, Sugai G. Evidence-based Practices in Classroom Management: Considerations for Research to Practice. Education a Treatment of Children. 2008; 31(3): 351-80.
- Metropolitan center for urban education. Culturaly responsive classroom management sterategies. New York: New York University; 2008.
- Krueger PM, Neutens J, Bienstock J, Cox S, Erickson S, Goepfert A, et al. To the point: reviews in medical education teaching techniques. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2004; 191(2):408-11.
- Shaygan F. Educational management factors effective in students, Sleepiness in class. Quarterly modiriat entezami. 2009; 4(3): 342-62. [In Persian]
- Niazazari K, Madah Mohamadtaghi, Amouei F. Study of the degree of efficiency of academic staff of Islamic Azad University in Classroom Management. Quarterly J Educational Leadership & Administration. 2008; 2(2): 147-164. [In Persian]
- Rahmani S, Mesrabadi J, Zavar T. A comparative study of emotional intelligence and mind reading between disciplined and undiscipline students. J School Psychology. 2014; 2(4): 81-97. [In Persian]
- Salighedar L. Take Classroom Management. Monthly growth of educational technology. 2011; 7: 26. [In Persian]
- Piriyabi H. Take Classroom Management: Twenty fan classroom management. Monthly growth of educational technology. 2010; 26(1): 34-5. [In Persian]
- Weimer, Maryellen. 10 Benefits of Getting Students to Participate in Classroom Discussions. [Cited 2011 Feb 15]. Available from: http://www.facultyfocus.com/articles/teaching-and-learning/10-benefits-of-getting-students-to-participate-in-classroom-discussions/
- Centre for Teaching Excellence. Promoting effective classroom participation. Available from: https://uwaterloo.ca/ centre-for-teaching-excellence/teaching- resources/teaching-tips/assessing-student- work/grading-and-feedback/promoting-effective-participation
- Wright J. Participation in the Classroom: Classification and Assessment Techniques. Teaching Innovation Projects. 2014;4(1): 3.
- Cornell University Center for Teaching Excellence. Increasing Student Participation. Available from: https:// www.cte.cornell.edu/teaching-ideas/ engaging-students/ increasing- student-participation.html#role.
- Beach C. How to inspire and motivate students to participate in class. [Cited 2014 Oct 15]. Available from: http ://expertbeacon.com/how-inspire-and-motivate-students-participate-class/#.VtFUlH194dW.
- USciences University of the sciences, Philadelphia. Student Participation/Active Learning. [Cited 2016 Sep 20]. Available from: http://www.usciences.edu/teaching/tips/spal.shml
- Haynes K. Top 12 Ways to Increase Student Participation. Available from: http://www.teachhub.com/top-12-ways-increase-student-participation
- Bergquist WH, Phillips SR. A Handbook for Faculty Development, Council for the Advancement of Small Colleges. New York: Dansville Press; 1975: 114-17.
- Ghasemian Safaei H, Farajzadegan Z. Active participation of student s in teaching. Iran J Med Educ. 2012; 11(9):1129-30. [In Persian]
- Soleimani AH, Mehrnia K. Survey of tehran university of medical sciences medical students opinions about causes of absenteeism. Iran J Med Educ. 2001; 2(1(7)):73. [In Persian]
- Habibipour R, Seif A. Investigating the reasons of nursing student’s absence from class at Islamic Azad university Hamedan branch, 2014-2015. Iran J Nursing Res. 2015; 10(4): 136-44. [In Persian]
- Glair KL. A case against compulsory class attendance policies in higher education. Innovative Higher Education. 1999; 23(3): 171-80.
- Salisbury DF. Five Technology For educational change. New Jersey: Educational Technologies Pub;1999.
- Mousapour N. The Concept of Teaching and its Essential questions. Strides Dev Med Educ. 2004; 1(1):48-56. [In Persian]
- Glasser W. Enhancing instruction: teaching in the quality classroom. Course Syllabus. [Cited 2009]. Available from: https://www.teachervideocourses.com/courseDescriptions/TQC-SyllabusREV2.pdf