Document Type : Original Article
M.sc of Medical Education, Management and Leadership in Medical Education Research Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Nursing Research Center, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Background: The formation of small groups and education with an active learning approach is among the basics of problem-based learning (PBL).
Objectives: The present study aimed at determining the effect of the PBL approach with virtualsmall groups on academic achievement and participatory learning in midwifery students of Islamic Azad University, Jahrom Branch, Iran.
Methods: The present interventional study was performed on 50 midwifery students of Islamic Azad University, Jahrom Branch, studying at internal and gynecologic surgery course in the academic year of 2018-19. The subjects were randomly assigned to the intervention and control groups. The intervention and control groups underwent PBL and the conventional methods, respectively. The academic success of the participants and the active and collaborative learning was assessed. Data were analyzed using the Mann-Whitney U and Wilcoxon tests in SPSS.
Results: There was a significant increase in the mean score of academic achievement in the intervention group compared to controls (P <0.05). The active and collaborative learning (ACL) score of the intervention group was above average and significantly higher compared to the control group (P=0.03).
Conclusion: PBL virtual with small groups, in addition to academic success, affects ACL. This technology can be used for educational purposes, such as participation and interaction in small groups in the PBL.
- McAndrew M, E Johnston A. The role of social media in dental education. J Dent Educ. 2012; 76(11): 1474-81. doi:10.1002/j.0022-0337.2012.76.11. tb05409.x PMid:23144483
- Kumari A, K.S Ali, Mahadevamurthy M, H Ali . Use of social media among dental students of Farooqia Dental College, Mysore: A study. In International Conference on Open Access-Scholarly Communication Reincarnated: A Futuristic Approach; Bangalore. 2013. 377-88.
- Halboub E, Othathi F, Mutawwam F, Madkhali S, Somaili D, Alahmar N. Effect of social networking on academic achievement of dental students, Jazan University, Saudi Arabia. East Mediterr Health J. 2017; 22(12): 865-71. doi:10.26719/2016.22.12.865.
- Al Falahi K, Atif Y, Elnaffar S. Social networks: Challenges and new opportunities. in 2010 IEEE/ACM Int’l Conference on Green Computing and Communications & Int’l Conference on Cyber, Physical and Social Computing. Hangzhou China: IEEE; 2010. 804-8. doi:10.1109/GreenCom-CPSCom.2010.14
- Emamirizi C. The effect of use social networks on the girls students academic achievement. Educ Strategy Med Sci. 2016; 9(3): 206-13. [In Persian]
- Fallahi M, Khalifeh Gh, Ghasemi Samani M. The Collaborative Learning-e the in Learning Environments. Journal of Educational Studies. 2016; 9(1): 31-9. [In Persian]
- Kojuri J, Shekarchi B, Motshaker Arani M, Farhadi P, Amini M, Dehghani M R . The effects of homogeneous small groups on the efficacy of problem-based learning. J Adv Med&Prof. 2013; 1(3): 89-93.
- Noohi, E, Abbaszadeh A, Madah S B, Borhani F. Collaborative learning experiences in problem-based learning (PBL) education: a qualitative study. J Qual Res Health Sci. 2013; 1(4): 255-67. [In Persian]
- Kirschner P A. Karpinski A C. Facebook® and academic performance. Computers in human behavior. 2010; 26(6): 1237-45. doi:10.1016/j.chb.2010.03.024
- Ahmady Gh, Nakhostin-Ruhi N. Investigation of the differentiation of blended learning with electronical learning and traditional learning (face to face) in teaching mathemats. J school psychol. 2014; 3(2): 253-66.
- Saeedinejat Sh, Vafaeenajar A. The Effect of E-Learning on Students’ Educational Success. Iranian Journal of Medical Education. 2011; 11(1): 1-9. [In Persian]
- Fori E. The effects of social networking sites on the academic performance of the engineering students in the university of Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria. International Journal of Computer Science Issues (IJCSI). 2016; 13(1): 76-84. doi:10.20943/IJCSI-201602-7684
- Madaiah M, Talkad Seshaiyengar Ch, Suresh P, Munipapanna S, Sonnappa S D. Study to assess the effects of social networking sites on medical college students. Int J Community Med Public Health. 2016; 3(5): 1204-8. doi:10.18203/2394-6040.ijcmph20161385
- Brindley J E, Blaschke L M, Walti C. Creating effective collaborative learning groups in an online environment. International Review of Research in Open and Distributed Learning. 2009; 10(3): 1-18. doi:10.19173/irrodl.v10i3.675
- Akbari Borang M, Jafari sani H, Ahanchian M R, Kareshki H. The Evaluation Of E-Learning Quality Of Iran’s Universities Based On Curriculum Orientations And Faculty Members’ Experiences. Research and planning in higher education. 2013; 18(4): 75-97. [In Persian]
- Cook D A, Garside S, Levinson A J, Dupras D M, Montori V M. What do we mean by web‐based learning? A systematic review of the variability of interventions. Med Educ. 2010; 44(8): 765-74. doi:10.1111/j.1365-2923.2010.03723.x.
- Woltering V, Herrler A, Spitzer K, Spreckelsen C. Blended learning positively affects students’ satisfaction and the role of the tutor in theproblem-based learning process: results of a mixed-method evaluation. Adv Health Sci Educ Theory Pract. 2009; 14(5): 725-38. doi: 10.1007/s10459-009-9154-6.
- Baghcheghi N, Koohestani H R, Rezaei K. A comparison of the cooperative learning and traditional learning methods in theory classes on nursing students’ communication skill with patients at clinical settings. Nurse Educ Today. 2011; 31(8): 877-82. doi:10.1016/j.nedt.2011.01.006.
- Ganji B, Tavakoli S. Surveying the relationship between psychological capital and academic resiliency with Internet addiction of students. Educ Strategy Med Sci. 2018; 11(1): 102-7. [In Persian]
- Khalifeh Gh, Fardanesh H, Hatami J, Talaei E. Design and validation a model for reinforcing critical thinking skills in online learning environments. Educational Science. 2019; 26(2): 109-30. [In Persian]. doi:10.22055/edus.2019.30129.2844
- Romanov K, Nevgi A. Student activity and learning outcomes in a virtual learning environment. Learning Environ Res. 2008; 11(2): 153-62. doi:10.1007/s10984-008-9038-3
- Mousakhani M, Azizi H. present the model of the effect of using social software on students’ e-learning. Quarterly Journal of Strategies in Instructions Administration. 2018; 1(1): 75-94. [In Persian]
- Moradi Mukhles H, Nili M R, Heydari J. An Investigation on the Effect of Multifactor Model of Improving Critical Thinking in E-learning Environments. Ran Information and Communication Technology. 2015; 6(21,22): 41-52. [In Persian]