Document Type : Original Article
Endodontist, Associate Professor of Endodontics Dept., School of Dentistry, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Ph.D. in Health Care Management, Assistant Professor of Health Economy and Management Sciences Dept., School of Public Health, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Endodontist, Assistant Professor of Endodontics Dept., School of Dentistry, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Background & Objective : Internal evaluation is a process concerning information collection and judgment in order to improve educational activities Considering some facts related to educational measurement and collecting information will lead to a better understanding of the mentioned process In this study we conducted the internal evaluation of the endodontics department in Tehran University of Medical Sciences which is responsible for training dentistry students and residents Methods : In this descriptive study internal evaluation was conducted using 10 steps in 9 fields including management and organization faculty members learners human resources and support educational research and other atmospheres facilities regarding education research etc courses educational programs teaching and learning process patients and finally graduates satisfaction Data was collected using observation interview questionnaire and checklist Results : According to the definition of satisfactory results of this study were mostly qualitative and in some cases they were quantitative The average result of the internal evaluation of the endodontics department in the school of dentistry considering 9 fields was 737% which was considered as approximately satisfactory The results for fields like faculty members and learners were satisfactory (100% and 778% respectively) Atmospheres and educational facilities were unsatisfactory (both were 46%) Conclusion : According to the results atmospheres and educational facilities which were identified as the weakest fields need more consideration and investigation
- Worthen BR, Sanders JK. Educational evaluation alternative approaches & practical guidelines. New York: Longman press; 1987:102.
- Bazargan A. Educational evaluation. Tehran: SAMT; 2005: 1-39. [In Persian]
- Bazargan A. From internal evaluation to quality assurance in higher education: The case of medical education in Iran. Med Educ 2001; 1(1): 23-7.
- Saif AA. Methods of educational measurement and evaluation. Tehran: Doran Publisher; 2009. [In Persian]
- Bazargan A. Internal evaluation in university and application in continuous improved higher education quality. Research and Planning in Higher Education 1996; 3: 14-22. [In Persian]
- Bazargan A, Mohammadi R. Framework and guidance for writing the report of internal evaluation at the educational department level. Tehran: 2005. 7-22. [In Persian]
- Zarrabian M, Farzianpour F, Razmi H, Sharifian MR, Khedmat S, Sheykh-rezaee MS, et al. Internal evaluation of the endodontic department, School of Dentistry, Tehran University of Medical Sciences .Report 2005; 188(25): 1-105. [In Persian]
- Best JW, Kahn JV. Research in education. Boston : Allyn and Bacon ; 2003.
- Rabani A, Farzianpour F, Zamani GH, Zinaloo AA, Shajari H. Internal evaluation in Department of Pediatrics Faculty of Medicine, Tehran University of Medical Sciences. Iran J Pediatr 2006; 16(3): 301-7. [In Persian]
- Parsa Yekta Z, Salmaani Barough N, Monjamed Z, Farzianpour F, Eshraghian M. Internal evaluation in Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery, Tehran University of Medical Sciences. Hayat 2006; 24-5: 71-8. [In Persian]
- Sedaie M, Farzianpour F, Adel Ghahraman M, Mohammad Khani GH, Fattahi J, Sarough Farahani S, et al. Internal evaluation of Audiology Department, Faculty of Rehabilitation, TehranUniversity of Medical Sciences, Iran. Audiology 2007; 16(1): 1-9. [In Persian]
- Farzianpour F, Bazargan A. Evaluation of Clinical Education Departments of Tehran Hospitals.The J of Faculty of Medicine 1999; 57(2): 72-8. [In Persian]
- Farzianpour F, Emami AH, Eshraghian MR. An evaluation of basic and clinical sciences development project at Tehran University of Medical Sciences. Quarterly J of Research in Educational Systems 2008; 1(1): 47-68. [In Persian]
- Saberian M. Group’s internal evaluation of Medical Surgical Nursing Department of Semnan University of Medical Sciences. Edinburgh: AMEE Congress; 2004: 23-2. [In Persian]
- Olyaei GR, Hadian MR, Farzianpour F, Jalali S, Vasaghie Gharamaleki B, Abbasi E. Internal evaluation of the Physical Therapy Department, Rehabilitation Faculty, Tehran University of Medical Sciences. Modern Rehabilitation Journal 2007; 1(2-3): 19-24. [In Persian]
- Harden R, Crosby J, Davis MH, Howie PW, Struthers AD. Task- based learning: The answer to integration & problem based learning in the clinical years. Med Educ 2000; 34(5): 391-7.