Document Type : Original Article
Ph.D. in Philosophy of Education, Associate Professor, Department of Educational Sciences, School of Educational Sciences and Psychology, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Mashhad, Iran
Ph.D. student in curriculum studies, Department of Educational Sciences, School of Educational Sciences and Psychology, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Mashhad, Iran
Ph.D. student in Educational Psychology, Faculty of literature and humans sciences, Lorestan University, Iran
M.Sc. in Educational Research, Ferdowsi University of Mashhad, Mashhad, Iran
Background & Objective: Selfdirected learning readiness scale (SLRS) proposed by Fisher et al (2001) is a selfevaluation tool containing 50 questions The aim of the present study was to standardize SLRS for use among Nursing and Midwifery students Methods: The statistical population of this descriptive psychometric study included all undergraduate students of Nursing and Midwifery of Mashhad University of Medical Sciences (N = 550) Study samples were 224 students (27% males and 73% females) The research instrument was selfdirected learning readiness scale Validity was confirmed by determining content validity and construct validity (exploratory factor analysis) and reliability was confirmed by calculating the coefficient of internal consistency (Cronbachs alpha) Results: Three factors of s elfmanagement willingness to learn and selfcontrol were extracted from the SLRS that could explain 345% of the total variance Cronbachs alpha for the entire questionnaire and the mentioned factors were respectively 092 088 082 and 079 The ttest results showed no significant difference between male and female students in regard to the total score In addition multivariant ANOVA demonstrated no significant difference between male and female students in regard to selfdirected learning factors Mean and standard deviation of selfdirecting for all students were 17699 and 2541 respectively Conclusion: R esults showed that selfdirected learning readiness scale has the required validity and reliability to identify selfdirected learning capabilities in Nursing and Midwifery students
- Roberson DN. Self-Directed Learning--Past and Present. Online Submission. 2005:25. Available From: http://eric.ed.gov/PDFS/ED490435.pdf
- O'Shea E. Self-directed learning in nurse education: a review of the literature. Journal of Advanced Nursing 2003;43(1):62-70.
- Murray F, Jennifer K, Grace T, et al. Development of a self-directed learning readiness scale for nursing education. Nurse Education Today 2001; 21(7):516-25.
- Nadi MA, Sadjadian I. Validation of a Self- directed Learning Readiness Scale for Medical and Dentistry Students. Iranian Journal of Medical Education 2011; 11(2): 174-84 [In Persian].
- Nadi MA, Sadjadian I. Validation of a Self- directed Readiness Scale Learning for girl Students in Isfahan high schools. Review Quarterly Journal of Educational Innovations. 2006; 5(18):111-34 [In Persian].
- Anastazi A. Mental trial. Translated by Baraheni. MT. Tehran: Tehran University Publications; 2008.
- Brockett RG. Conceptions of self-directed learning (Book Review). Adult Education Quarterly 2002; 52(2): 155-6.
- Merriam SB. Andragogy and self-directed learning: Pillars of adult learning theory. New directions for adult and continuing education 2001; 2001(89):3-14.
- Fisher MJ, King J. The self-directed learning readiness scale for nursing education revisited: A confirmatory factor analysis. Nurse Education Today 2010; 30(1):44-8.
- Yuan HB, Williams BA, Fang JB, Pang D. Chinese baccalaureate nursing students' readiness for self-directed learning. Nurse Education Today. 2011; 32(4):427-31.
- Linares AZ. Learning styles of students and faculty in selected health care professions. The Journal of Nursing Education 1999; 38(9):40714.
- Bonham LA. Guglielmino's Self-Directed Learning Readiness Scale: What Does It Measure? Adult Education Quarterly 1991; 41(2):92-9.
- Field L. An investigation into the structure, validity, and reliability of Guglielmino's SelfDirected Learning Readiness Scale. Adult Education Quarterly 1989; 39(3):125-39.
- Field L. Guglielmino's self-directed learning readiness scale: Should it continue to be used? Adult Education Quarterly 1991; 41(2):100-3.
- Hoban JD, Lawson SR, Mazmanian PE, Best AM, Seibel HR. The Self-Directed Learning Readiness Scale: a factor analysis study. Medical Education 2005; 39(4):370-9.
- Newman M. Problem-based learning: An exploration of the method and evaluation of its effectiveness in a continuing nursing education programme. London: Middlesex University. 2004. Available From: http://www.beteronderwijsnederland.nl/files/ac tive/0/Newman%20Part%20II.pdf
- Bridges PH, Bierema LL, Valentine T. The propensity to adopt evidence-based practice among physical therapists. BMC Health Services Research 2007; 7(1):103-12.
- Smedley A. The self-directed learning readiness of first year bachelor of nursing students. Journal of Research in Nursing 2007; 12(4):373-85.
- Wiley K. Effects of a self-directed learning project and preference for structure on selfdirected learning readiness. Nursing Research 1983; 32(3):132-90.
- Hendry GD, Ginns P. Readiness for selfdirected learning: validation of a new scale with medical students. Medical Teacher 2009; 31(10):918-20.
- Nadi MA, Yousefi AR, Changiz T. Medical and Dentistry Students' Perceptions of Self directed Learning and its Relationship with Personal Traits. SDME 2012, 8(2): 173- 81. [In Persian].
- Zokaee MS. Sociology of Iran's youth, Tehran, 2008, Agah Publication. [In Persian].
- Rastgar Khaled A. The Effect of Gender Differences on the Academic Achivement, Journal of Socio-Cultural Council of Women 2011; 13(50): 81-124.
- Heidari Kaydan J, Azari M. Relationship Between Emotional intelligence and learning strategies in English with English language skills in students. New findings in psychology 2009 3(9): 95- 114. [In Persian]
- Parviz K, Sharifi M. Cognitive and metacognitive strategies associated with academic success rate - urban and rural high school students. Education Strategies 2012; 4(1): 1- 6 [In Persian].
- Long, H. B. Understanding Self-direction in learning. In H.B Long & Associates, practice & theory in self-directed learning. Schaumburg, IL: Motorola University Press. 2000.