Document Type : Original Article
M.Sc. in Nursing, Instructor of Nursing Dept., School of Abadan Nursing and Midwifery, Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences, Ahvaz, Iran
M.Sc in Educational Sciences, Instructor of Educational Sciences Dept., School of Education and Psychology, Shahid Chamran University of Ahvaz, Ahvaz, Iran
M.Sc. in Nursing, Instructor of Nursing Dept., School of Abadan Nursing and Midwifery, Abadan School of Medical Sciences, Abadan ,Iran
Background & Objective: It is necessary for a correct evaluation to use valid instruments prepared exactly according to the study population and special field This study aimed to determine valid and reliable criteria for clinical evaluation of nursing teacher in Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences Iran Methods: In this exploratorydescriptive study reviewing different sites and literature primary clinical evaluation form with 60 items based on the Likert scale was designed Face validity of the instrument was determined based on students teachers and nursing and educating professors opinions and content validity was determined based on Waltz and Bausell index Construct validity was determined by factor analysis Also reliability of instrument was determined by Cronbachs alpha coefficient splithalf coefficient and testretest Results: Factor analysis to determine construct validity created two factors: educational behaviors factor with 21 phrases factor coefficient of 06330788 and eigenvalues of 20059 and supportive behaviors factor with 6 phrases factor coefficient of 06290799 and eigenvalues of 1915 Cronbachs alpha coefficient of clinical evaluation instrument was 095 totally 096 for factor 1 and 085 for factor 2 Splithalf coefficient was 081 and total Pearson correlation coefficient was 077 (P > 0001) Pearson correlation coefficient of answers to final question what do you evaluate your teacher finally? was 081 for factor 1 (P > 0001) and 072 for factor 2 (P > 0001) Conclusion: Our instrument for clinical evaluation of nursing teachers (student form) was designed with two factors: educational behaviors factor with 21 phrases and suportive behaviors factor with 6 phrases and had a high degree of validity and reliability We suggest this instrument can be used for clinical evaluation of nursing teachers in Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences
- Saif AA. Educational management and evaluation. 5th ed. Tehran: Dowran; 1378:90[In Persian].
- Snell L, Tallet S, Haist S. A review of the evaluation of clinical teaching: new perspectives and challenges. Med Educ 2000; 34(10): 862-70.
- Windish BM, Kinght AM, Wright SM. Clinician-teachers’ Self-assessments Versus Learners’ Perceptions. J Gen Internal Med 2004; 19(5p2):554-7.
- Fitzpatrick JJ. Evaluating teaching effectiveness. Nurs Educ Perspect 2004; 25 (3): 109.
- Beckman TJ, Ghosh AK, Cook D A, et al. How reliable are Assessments of Clinical teaching? J Gen Internal Med 2004; 19(9): 971-7.
- Crossly J, Humphries G, Jolly B. Assessing health Professionals. Med Educ 2002; 36(9):800-4.
- Litzelman DK, Stratos GA, Marriott DJ, Skeffo KM. Factorial Validation of widely disseminated educational framework for evaluating clinical teachers. Acad Med 1998; 73(6): 688-95.
- Stalmeijer RE, Dolmans DH, Wolfhagen IH, Muijtjens AM, Scherpbier AJ. The Maastricht Clinical Teaching Questionnaire (MCTQ) as a valid and reliable instrument for the evaluation of clinical teachers. Acad Med 2010; 85(11):1732-8.
- Adhami A, Haghdoost AA, Darvishmoqadam S, Shakibi MR, Nouhi E. Determining valid criteria for evaluating clinical and theoretical teaching of the faculty of Kerman University of Medical Sciences. Iran J Med Educ 2000; 1 (2):24-30. [In Persian]
- Golaghaie F, Moshfeghi K, Rafiei M. Providing and determining the validity and reliability of the evaluation device for nursing & midwifery clinical instructors. Teb Tazkieh 2002; 45:48-55. [In Persian]
- Salsali M. Evaluating teaching effectiveness in nursing education: An Iranian perspective. BMC Med Educ 2005; 5: 29.
- Parsell G, Bligh J. Recent perspectives on clinical teaching. Med Educ 2001; 35(4):40914.
- Beckman TJ, Cook DA, Mandrekar JN. What is the validity Evidence for Assessment of clinical teaching? J Gen Internal Med 2005; 20(12): 1159-84.
- Irby DM, Papadakis M. Dose good clinical teaching really make a difference? Am J Med 2001; 110(3): 231-2.
- Polit DF, Tatano Beck Ch. Essentials of Nursing Research: Appraising Evidence for Nursing Practice. 7th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams &Wilkins; 2009.
- LoBiondo-Wood G, Hober J. Nursing Research: Methods and Critical Appraisal for Evidence-Based Practice. St. Louis: Mosby- Elsevier; 2006.
- Polit DF, Hungler BP. Essentials of nursing research: methods, appraisal, and utilization. Issues Compr Pediatr Nurs 1992; 15(4): 2812.
- Rassouli M, Yaghmai F, AlaviMajd H. Development and “Institutionalized Psychometrics Adolescents of Spiritual Coping Scale”. Iran J Psychiatry Clin Psychol 2009; 15(1): 25-32. [In Persian]
- Rassouli M, Gharebagh Z, Safavi M. Psychometric properties of “Hopefulness Scale for Adolescents” (HSA). Journal of Nursing and Midwifery 2010; 20(68):25-31. [In Persian]
- Kanthan R, Mills SH. Cooperative learning in the first year of undergraduate medical education. World J Surg Oncol 2007; 5: 136.
- Stanger-Hall KF, Lang S, Maas M. Facilitating learning in large lecture classes: testing the “teaching team” approach to peer learning. CBE Life Sci Educ 2010; 9(4): 489503.
- Khosravi Sh, Pazargadi M, Ashktorab T. Nursing Students` Viewpoints on Challenges of Student Assessment in Clinical Settings: A Qualitative Study. Iran J Med Educ 2012; 11(7):735-749. [In Persian]
- Belar C, Brown RA, Hersch LE, Hornyak LM, Rozensky RH, Sheridan EP, et al. Selfassessment in clinical health psychology: a model for ethical expansion of practice. Prof Psychol Res Pr. 2001;32(2):135-41.
- O'Connor AB. Clinical instruction and evaluation: a teaching resource. 2th ed. Canada: Jones and Bartlett; 2006.
- Copeland HL, Hewson MG. Developing and testing an instrument to measure the effectiveness of clinical teaching in an academic medical center. Acad Med 2000; 75(2):161-6.
- Schupbach JE. Strategies for clinical teaching. Rush University Medical Center .[cited 2012 Jul 16]. http://www.audiologyonline.com/articles/stra tegies-for-clinical-teaching-6944.
- Potter P, Perry AG. Fundamentals of Nursing.7th ed. Louis: Mosby Elsevier; 2009.
- Sharif F, Masoumi S. A qualitative study of nursing student experiences of clinical practice. BMN Nursing 2005: 4:6.
- Locken T, Norberg H. Reduced anxiety improves learning ability of nursing students through utilization of mentoring triads. J Nurs Educ 2005; 48 (1): 17-23.
- Dehghani M, Nakhaee N. Faculty evaluation by students: a review of criticisms. Strides Dev Med Educ 2012; 9(2):102-9. [In Persian].