Document Type : Original Article
Ph.D. Student in Health in Disasters and Emergencies, Department of Health in Disasters and Emergencies, Medical Education Research Center, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
General Practitioner, Medical Education Research Center, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Ph.D. Student in Health Services Management, Department of Health Services Management, Medical Education Research Center, Iran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Ph.D. Student in Medical Education, Department of Medical Education, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
Background & Objective: Evaluation of faculty members teaching activities by student is one of the commonly used methods the use of which has increased accordingly over time Therefore dynamic and meaningful participation of the students in the process is imperative The purpose of this study is to understand the knowledge of students of the evaluation process and its challenges and their solutions Methods: This qualitative study was performed in 3 schools of Tehran University of Medical Sciences Iran in 2012 The opinions of student were collected during 3 focus group discussions with the participation of 19 students Participants were selected based on purposive sampling from among the student advisory committee All group discussions were recorded and then transcribed Data were analyzed by content analysis For credibility and authentication of data the peer monitoring and review method was used Results: Major themes include the input challenges with 2 subthemes (barriers to participation and factors affecting evaluation) the process challenges with 2 subthemes (the evaluation time and students preferred format for evaluation) and the impact challenges with 2 subthemes (publication of results and reward and punishment evaluation systems) Conclusion: The perceptions and awareness of students about the evaluation process and its application is important in the increasing of participation and their seriousness in answering questions Thus in order to reduce bias in the evaluation process it is recommended that suitable and timely information be given to students and faculty members courses be performed to familiarize them with the concept and application of evaluation and the evaluation questionnaires be revised
- Beran T, Rokosh J. Instructors perspectives on the utility of student ratings of instruction. Instructional Science 2009;37(2):171-84.
- Sarchami R, Salmanzadeh H. The opinions of faculty on the efficiency of student rating scheme on teachers’ performance in Iran University of Medical Sciences. J Qazvin Univ Med Sci 2005;34:67-71.
- Beasley BW, Wright SM, Cofrancesco J, Babbott SF, Thomas PA, Bass EB. Promotion criteria for clinician-educators in the United States and Canada: a survey of promotion committee chairpersons. JAMA 1997;278(9):723-8.
- Richardson JTE. Instruments for obtaining student feedback: a review of the literature. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education. 2005;30(4):387-415.
- Murray HG, editor. Student evaluation of teaching: Has it made a difference. [cited 2005 Jun 8]. Available from: http://www.stlhe.ca/wpcontent/uploads/2011/07/Student-Evaluationof-Teaching1.pdf
- Dehghani M, Nakhaee N. Faculty evaluation by students: a review of criticisms. Strides Dev Med Educ J 2011;9(2):102-9 .[In Persian]
- Woloschuk W, Coderre S, Wright B, McLaughlin K. What factors affect students' overall ratings of a course? Acad Med 2011;86(5):640-3.
- Pessar LF, Levine RE, Bernstein CA, Cabaniss DS, Dickstein LJ, Graff SV, et al. Recruiting and rewarding faculty for medical student teaching. Acad Psychiatry 2006;30(2):126-9.
- Schiekirka S, Reinhardt D, Heim S, Fabry Gt, Pukrop T, Anders S, et al. Student perceptions of evaluation in undergraduate medical education: A qualitative study from one medical school. BMC Med Educ 2012;12(1):1-7.
- Smith MC, Carney RN. Students' Perceptions of the Teaching Evaluation Process. Annual meeting of the American Educational Research Association. Boston: ERIC Clearinghouse; 1990.
- Feldman K. The significance of circumstances for college students' ratings of their teachers and courses. Res High Educ 1979;10(2):149-72.
- Aliasgharpour M, Monjamed Z, Bahrani N. Factors Affecting Students' Evaluation of Teachers: Comparing Viewpoints of Teachers and Students. Iran J Med Educ 2010;10(2):186-95 .[In Persian]
- Leite D, Santiago RA, Sarrico CS, Leite L, Polidori M. Students' perceptions on the influence of institutional evaluation on universities. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education 2006;31(6):625-38.
- Chen Y, Hoshower LB. Student Evaluation of Teaching Effectiveness: An assessment of student perception and motivation. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education. 2003;28(1):71-88.
- Amr M, Al Saeed U, Shams T. Medical students' perceptions of teaching evaluation in psychiatry. Basic Research Journal Education Research and Review. 2012;1(5):81-4.
- Amini M, Honardar M. The view of faculties and medical students about evaluation of faculty teaching experiences. Koomesh. 2008;9(3):171-8 .[In Persian]
- Afshar M, Hasanzadeh Taheri M, Ryasi H, Naseri M. Evaluation of faculty members by students with different educational development. J Birjand Univ Med Sci 2010;17(2):118-26 .[In Persian]
- Gravestock P, Gregor-Greenleaf E. Student course evaluations: Research, models and trends. Toronto: Higher Education Quality Council of Ontario; 2008.
- Dommeyer CJ, Baum P, Chapman KS, Hanna RW. Attitudes of business faculty towards two methods of collecting teaching evaluations: Paper vs. online. Assessment & Evaluation in 2002;27(5):455-62. Higher Education
- Anderson HM, Cain J, Bird E. Online Student Course Evaluations: Review of Literature and a Pilot Study. Am J Pharm Educ 2005;69(1):34-43.
- Ravelli B, editor. Anonymous Online Teaching Assessments: Preliminary Findings. Annual National Conference of the American Association for Higher Education; 2000 Nov 4; Atalanta, CAlifornia. 2000: 14-8.
- Dommeyer CJ, Baum P, Hanna RW. College students' attitudes toward methods of collecting teaching evaluations: In-class versus on-line. Journal of Education for Business 2002;78(1):11-5.
- Paolo AM, Bonaminio GA, Gibson C, Partridge T, Kallail K. Response rate comparisons of e-mail-and mail-distributed student evaluations. Teach Learn Med 2000;12(2):81-4.
- Brown MJ. Student Perceptions of Teaching Evaluations. Journal of Psychology. 2008;35(2):177-81. Instructional
- Fich FE. Are student evaluations of teaching fair? Computing Research News.2003;15(3):1-4.