Document Type : Brief report
B.Sc. in Public Health, School of Health, Arak University of Medical Sciences, Arak, Iran
Ph.D. in Health Education, Associated Professor, Department of Health Education, School of Health, Arak University of Medical Sciences, Arak, Iran
Background & Objective: Critical thinking skills are among the skills that have been recognized for the 21st century human being by UNESCO On the other hand stress plays an important role in success and excessive stress can decrease students ability to learn and progress This study was performed to evaluate critical thinking skills and their association with stress coping strategies in the students of Arak University of Medical Sciences Iran Methods: In this analytical crosssectional study 100 medical students were selected through stratified sampling SPSS software was used to analyze the data collected via a demographic checklist WatsonGlaser Critical Thinking Appraisal (WGCTA)and Ways of Coping Questionnaire (Lazarus and Folkman) Results: The mean total score of critical thinking skills was 3732 ± 571 which was categorized as weak Moreover the mean score of stress coping strategies was 9095 ± 188 There was no significant correlation between the two mean scores There was only a weak significant correlation between avoidance with interpretation and responsibility with rationalization (P < 005) Conclusion: The mean score of critical thinking skills of our participants did not differ significantly from that of other similar domestic studies but was unsatisfactory when compared to foreign studies This shows the necessity of the education of the critical thinking skills in the national education system The insignificant correlation between critical thinking and stress coping strategies could be the result of the questionnaire used and students wrong estimation of their critical thinking skills and coping strategies
- Bakhtiar Nasabadi HA, Nowrouzi RA, Habibi N. New conception in philosophy of education. Qom: Sama Ghalam; 2005. [In Persian]
- Gharib M, Rabieian M, Salsali M, Hadjizadeh E, Sabouri Kashani A, Khalkhali H. Critical thinking skills and critical thinking dispositions in freshmen and senior students of health care management. Iran J Med Educ 2009; 9(2): 125-35. [In Persian]
- Saif AA. Modern educational psychology (psychology of learning and instruction). 6nd ed. Tehran: Dowran; 2008. [In Persian]
- Duron R, Limbach B, Waugh W. Critical thinking framework for any discipline. Int J Teach Learn Higher Educ 2006; 17 (2): 1606.
- Fisher R. Teaching children to learn. 2nd ed. Cheltenham: Stanley Thornes; 2005.
- Walker SE. Active learning strategies to promote critical thinking. J Athl Train 2003; 38(3): 263-7.
- Haladyna TM. Developing and validating multiple-choice test items. 3nd ed. London: Routledge; 2004.
- Taheri N, Hojati H, Cheraghian B, Esmaieli T. Critical thinking in nursing students of abadan nursing faculty. J Dena Nurs Midwifery Fac 2009; 3(3):1-4. [In Persian]
- Eslami A, Shekarabi R, Behbahani N, Jamshidi N. Comparison of critical thinking ability of first and final term nursing student’s, and clinical nurses. Iran J Nurs 2005; 17 (39): 15-29. [In Persian]
- Kawashima A, Petrini M. Study of critical thinking skills in nursing students and nurses in Japan. Nurse Educ Today 2004; 24(4): 286-92.
- Bahmani F, Yousefy AR, Nematbakhsh M, Changiz T, Mardani M. Critical thinking skills of basic sciences’ students of medical university in facing scientific texts. Iran J Med Educ 2005; 5(2): 41-6. [In Persian]
- Agwu K, Okpara E. Evaluation of critical thinking application in medical ultrasound practice among sonographers in south-eastern Nigeria. Radiography 2007; 13(4): 276-82.
- Hasanpour M. (dissertation). Critical thinking in nursing education. Tehran: University of Medical Sciences Iran; 2007. [In Persian]
- Ainslie RC, Shafer A, Reynolds J. Mediators of adolescents' stress in a college preparatory environment. Adolescence 1996; 31(124): 913-24.
- Lee J, Graham AV. Students' perception of medical school stress and their evaluation of a wellness elective. Med Educ 2001; 35(7): 652-9.
- Jones MC1, Johnston DW. Reducing distress in first level and student nurses: a review of the applied stress management literature. J Adv Nurs 2000; 32(1): 66-74.
- Dehghan neyri N, Adib hajbagheri M. Effects of relaxation techniques on stress and the quality of life of dormitory students. Feiz. 2006; 10(2): 50-57.
- Edelman M, Ficorelli C. A measure of success: nursing students and test anxiety. J Nurses in Staff Dev 2005; 21(2): 55-9.
- Amirpour B. Relationship of critical thinking and its dimensions with university students’ social self-esteem and happiness. Educ Strateg Med Sci 2012; 5(3): 143-7. [In Persian]
- Lazarus SR. Coping Theory and Research: Past, Present, and Future. Psychosom Med 1993; 55(3):234-47.
- Heydari S, Azadfallah P, RasulzadeTabatabaei SK. Analysis of stressors, coping styles, and mental health in infertile men akd women. Eur Psychiatry 2010; 25(1):744.
- Mosalanejad L, Sobhanian S. Cpitical Thinking in computer students considering virtual and traditional forms of education. Strides Dev Med Educ 2008; 5(2): 127-134. [In Persian]
- Haghani F, Aminian B, Kamali F, Jamshidian S. Critical thinking skills and their relationship with emotional intelligence in medical students of introductory clinical medicine (ICM) course in Isfahan University of Medical Sciences. Iran J Med Educ 2010; 10(5): 906-17. [In Persian]
- Momeni Kh, Shahbazirad A. Relationship of spirituality, resiliency, and coping strategies with quality of life in university students. J Behav Sci 2012; 6(2): 97-103. [In Persian]
- Lazarus RS, Folkman S. Stress, appraisal and coping. New York: Springer Publishing; 1984.
- Pearlin LI, Schooler C. The structure of coping. J Health Soc Behav 1978; 19(1): 221.
- Paryad E, Javadi N, Atrkar Roshan Z, Fadakar K, Asiri SH. Relationship between Critical Thinking and Clinical Decision Making in Nursing Students. Iran J Nurs 2011; 24(73): 63-71. [In Persian]
- Amin-Khandaghi M, Pakmehr H. The relationship between students' critical thinking and mental health in Mashhad University of Medical Sciences. J Fundamentals of Mental Health 2011; 13(50): 114-23. [In Persian]
- Hassanpour M, Oskouie SF, Salsalei M. Critical thinking in nursing education. Iran J Nursing 2005; 18(41): 7-16. [In Persian]