Document Type : Original Article
Ph.D. Student in Nursing, Lecturer, Department of Pediatrics, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Ph.D. Student in Nursing, Department of Psychiatric(mental health) nursing, School of Nursing and Midwifery, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Background & Objective: The professional socialization process of the field of nursing begins with entry into nursing education programs and continues with the completion of nursing education and entry into the work environment In order to improve this process its reinforcing factors must be identified Therefore this study was conducted to investigate the relationship between emotional intelligence and professional socialization of nursing students of Tabriz University of Medical Sciences Iran Methods: In this correlational study after calculating the sample size all nursing students of Tabriz University of Medical Sciences in their 6th 7th and 8th semesters were studied Data collection tools consisted of demographic characteristics questionnaire Toits Professional Socialization Scale and Shiring/Siberia Emotional Intelligence Questionnaire All data were analyzed using SPSS software and descriptive and analytical statistics Results: The professional socialization and emotional intelligence of nursing students was above average level Total emotional intelligence and its subscales had no significant correlation with students professional socialization score However professional socialization had significant correlation with gender grade point average of previous semesters and hope for future career Conclusion: It seems that the professional socialization of nursing students is impacted by learning in cognitive and psychomotor domains more than by their emotional intelligence However considering the importance of the emotional domain in comprehensive and humane care emotional intelligence skills training seems necessary for students
- Danciu EL. Methods of developing children’s emotional intelligence. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2010;5:2227-33.
- Hasanzadeh R, Sadati Kiyadehi M. Emotional intelligence (management of sensation, affection and emotion). 2 ed. Tehran: Ravan; 2011. [In Persian]
- Golman D. Emotional intelligence. 1 ed. New york: Bantam Books; 1995.
- Namdar H, Sahebihagh M, Ebrahimi H, Rahmani A. Assessing emotional intelligence and its relationship with demographic factors of nursing students. Iran J Nursing Midwifery Res. 2008;13(4):145-9.
- Qualter P, Gardner KJ, Pope D, Hutchinson JM, Whiteley HE. Ability emotional intelligence, trait emotional intelligence, and academic success in British secondary schools: A 5 year longitudinal study. Learning and Individual Differences. 2011; 22(1): 83-91.
- Bar-On R. Emotional intelligence: an integral part of positive psychology. South African Journal of Psychology. 2010;40(1):54-62.
- Beauvais AM, Brady N, O'Shea ER, Quinn Griffin MT. Emotional intelligence and nursing performance among nursing students. Nurse Educ Today. 2011;31(4):396-401.
- Shahim A, Lotfi M, Rahmani A. Professional socialization of nursing students in Tabriz University of medical sciences. J Nursing and Midwifery, Tabriz. 2010;20:19-25. [In Persian]
- Aminaei N. (dissertion). Understanding the Nursing educators from its role and institution in becoming professional socialization nursing student. Tabriz: School of Nursing and Midwifery; 2009.
- Dinmohamadi MR, Rafeei F, Peyrovi H, Mehrdad N. Professional Socialization in Nursing: An Evolutionary Concept Analysis. Hayat. 2010;16(2):15-28. [In Persian]
- Cox SJ. A study of personality, emotional intelligence, social maturity, and job performance among nurses in rural East Texas. Texas: Texas A& Muniversity; 2012.
- Mansouri B. (dissertion). Standardization of a questionnaire on emotional intelligence Sybrya Shrink senior Tehran university students. Tehran: Allame Tabatabaei University; 2001. [In Persian]
- Shahim A. (dissertion). Professional socialization of nursing students and graduates of the nursing of Nursing Midwifery Faculty. Tabriz: Nursing Midwifery Faculty; 2010. [In Persian]
- du Toit D. A sociological analysis of the extent and influence of professional socialization on the development of a nursing identity among nursing students at two universities in Brisbane, Australia. J Adv Nurs. 1995; 21(1):164-71.
- Clark CL. The professional socialization of graduating students in generic and two-plustwo baccalaureate completion nursing programs. J Nurs Educ. 2004;43(8):346-51.
- Por J, Barriball L, Fitzpatrick J, Roberts J. Emotional intelligence: Its relationship to stress, coping, well-being and professional performance in nursing students. Nurse Educ Today. 2011;31(8):855-60.
- Benson G, Ploeg J, Brown B. A crosssectional study of emotional intelligence in baccalaureate nursing students. Nurse Educ Today. 2010;30(1):49-53.
- Dimitriadou A, Pizirtzidou E, Lavdaniti M. The concept of socialization in nursing education. Int J Caring Sci. 2013;6(3):314-8.
- Waugaman WR, Lohrer DJ. From nurse to nurse anesthetist: the influence of age and gender on professional socialization and career commitment of advanced practice nurses. J Prof Nurs. 2000;16(1):47-56.
- Seada A, Sleem WF. Professional socialization process and acquisition of professional nursing values among undergraduate nursing students. J Am Sci. 2012;8(4):678-83.
- Zamanzadeh V, Valizadeh L, Negarandeh R, Monadi M, Azadi A. Factors Influencing men entering the nursing profession, and understanding the challenges faced by them: Iranian and perspectives. 2013;2(2):49-56. developed Nurs countries’ Midwifery Stud.
- Shinyashiki GT, Mendes IA, Trevizan MA, Day RA. Professional socialization: students becoming nurses. Rev Lat Am Enfermagem. 2006;14(4):601-7.