Document Type : Original Article
Periodontist, Assistant Professor, Department of Periodontics, School of Dentistry, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Dentist, School of Dentistry, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences, Tabriz, Iran
Background & Objective: The main objective of this study was to survey the postgraduate periodontology course in Iran and compare its curriculum with that of selected dental schools in the United States and Canada Methods: This was a descriptive study First data were gathered based on the information available on the universities websites Then postgraduate periodontology curriculum of Tabriz University of Medical Sciences Iran was investigated and compared to that of Harvard University Boston University University of Maryland and University of Toronto The studied variables consisted of number of years of education dental education model education curriculum completed units number of hours of completed units Results: In all selected dental schools the overall curriculum was coursecentered with theoretical courses in the stomatology system accompanied with clinical courses Great emphasis was placed on research Harvard University provides academic research and clinical training the period of its course ranged from 45 to 57 months and the graduates received two periodontal degrees Nevertheless the main emphasis at the University of Toronto is clinical and research training and the duration of the period is 36 months and the training is provided in the form of surgical or nonsurgical treatment In the University of Maryland Baltimore the training consists of surgery correction and regeneration of oral tissue implantology and gingival surgery The Department of Periodontics of Tabriz University of Medical Sciences provides a curriculum similar to that of the University of Toronto Its training program consists of courses on implantology periodontics tissue engineering plastic surgery reconstructive surgery of the mouth This training program comprises 40 courses presented in 2784 hours Conclusion: It seems that filling the minds of the learners with medical physiopathological and stomatological topics reduces clinical activity and significantly reduces research and academic papers Thus the academic rating of dentistry schools in Iran can be improved through providing postgraduate periodontology courses similar to those provided by high ranking universities This can also render fellowship and postgraduate courses more efficient for Iranian students
- Dent J, Harden RM. A practical guide for Medical teachers. Korean J Med Educ. 2015; 27(1): 55-6.
- Patrica A.tomas, MD, David E, Kern MD, MPH. Internet resources for curriculum development in medical education. J Gen Intern Med. 2004; 19(5 Pt 2): 599–605.
- Walsh LJ, Seymour GJ. Dental education in Queensland: II. Principles of curriculum design. SADJ. 2001;56(3):140-6.
- Donaldson ME, Gadbury-Amyot CC, Khajotia SS, Nattestad A, Norton NS, Zubiaurre LA, et al. Dental education in a flat world: advocating for increased global collaboration and standardization. J Dent Educ. 2008;72(4):408-21.
- Wartman S1, Davis A, Wilson M, Kahn N, Sherwood R, Nowalk A. Curricular change: recommendations from a national prespective. Acad Med. 2001;76(4 Suppl):S140-5.
- Shanley DB, Barna S, Gannon P, Kelly A, Teljeur C, Munck C, et al. Undergraduate training in the european union, convergence or divergence?. Eur J Dent Educ. 1997; 1(1):35-43.
- Sadeghirad B, Haghdoost AA, Fasihi Harandi M, Rooholamini A. An Evolutionary Approach towards Ph.D. Educational System in Medical Sciences in Iran: a Systematic Review of Educational Models in the World’s Leading Universities. J Strides Dev Med Educ. 2009, 6(1): 10-20. [In Persian]
- Serge Dibart. Curriculum of Periodontology education in Boston university. [cited 2015 Dec 11]. Available from: URL:http://www.bu.edu/dental/academics/departments/perio/faculty-and-staff/
- David M. Curriculum of Periodontology education in Harvard university. [Cited 2015 July 1]. Available from URL:http://www.perio.org/education/MA-Harvard.htm
- Jim Yuan Lai. Curriculum of Periodontology education in Toronto university. [Cited 2015 July 2]. Available from URL: http://www.perio.org/education/canada-toronto.htm
- Med Dent Habil . Curriculum of Periodontology education in Umaryland university. [Cited 2013 July 15] .Available from URL: http://www.dental.umaryland.edu/dentaldepts/periodontics
- Fiehn NE, Christensen LB. Examination of lifestyle factors and diseases in teaching periodontology in dental education in the Nordic countries. Eur J Dent Educ. 2015.
- Osawa G, Nakaya H, Mealey BL, Kalkwarf K, Cochran DL. Specialty education in periodontics in Japan and the United States: comparison of programs at Nippon Dental University Hospital and the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. J Dent Educ. 2014; 78(3):481-95.
- Ghasemi H, Zafarmand A, Nokhostin M. An Evaluation of the Quality of Teaching "Community Oral Health" Course for Undergraduates in Dental Schools in Iran. J Mashhad Dental School Informative System. 2013; 37(1): 55-64. [In Persian]
- Mardomsalari. High rank University listed by Iranian Health Ministry. [Cited 2010 Jul 12]. Available from: http://mardomsalari.com/template1/News.aspx?N ID=81076