Document Type : Brief report
Social Determinant of Health Research Center, Lorestan University of Medical Sciences, Khorramabad, Iran
Disaster Risk Management Department, Isfahan University of Medical Sciences, Isfahan, Iran
Young Researchers and Elite Club, Yadegar-e-Imam Khomeini Shahr-e-Rey Branch, Islamic Azad University, Tehran, Iran
Background Due to the pivotal role of clinical education in the nursing profession, paying attention to effective approaches in improving the quality of education is of great importance. Objectives The current study aimed at determining the effect of mentorship with senior students or nurses on knowledge and clinical self-efficacy of nursing students. Methods The current trial was conducted on 72 nursing students in Lorestan University of medical sciences in academic year 2012 - 2013. The participants selected by convenience sampling method and assigned, using stratified random blocks, to one control group which supervised by a faculty member only and two intervention groups supervised by a faculty member and a senior student or nurse as mentor. Clinical self-efficacy scale and a researcher-made questionnaire were used to measure the participants’ knowledge and self-efficacy before and after the educational intervention. ANOVA and paired samples test and chi square were used to analyze the data. Results The mean score of knowledge and clinical self-efficacy increased in all the three groups, but the increase was significantly higher in the third group (the group supervised by a faculty member and a qualified nurse as mentor) than the others. Conclusions Due to the positive effects of mentorship with a qualified nurse, it is suggested that mentorship programs be included in the curriculum of nursing students.
- Ali PA, Panther W. Professional development and the role of mentorship. Nurs Stand. 2008; 22(42): 35–9. doi:10.7748/ns2008.06.22.42.35.c6579. [PubMed: 18649718].
- Khademi Z, Imani E, Naghizadeh F, Askarnia M, Hajizadeh N. [Nursing student’s view point about characteristics of ideal clinical instructor]. J Urmia Nurs Midwifery Fac. 2010;8(2):61–8. Persian.
- Gashmard R, Moaetamed N, Vahedparast H. [Faculty members’ and students’ veiwpoints on characteristics of a good university teacher in Boushehr University of Medical Sciences]. Iran J Med Educ. 2011;11(1):26–32. Persian.
- Carlisle C, Calman L, Ibbotson T. Practice-based learning: The role of practice education facilitators in supporting mentors. Nurse Educ Today. 2009;29(7):715–21. doi: 10.1016/j.nedt.2009.02.018. [PubMed:19345449].
- Rahnavard Z, Ahmadnejad S, Mehran A. [Effect of clinical teaching partner model (CTP) on nursing students’ clinical training outcomes]. Hayat. 2009;15(1):61–70. Persian.
- VaismoradiM, SalsaliM, Ahmadi F. Nurses’ experiences of uncertainty in clinical practice: A descriptive study. J Adv Nurs. 2011;67(5):991–9. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2648.2010.05547.x. [PubMed: 21214617].
- Rejeh N, Heravi-Karimooi M, Vaismoradi M. Iranian nursing students’ perspectives regarding caring for elderly patients. Nurs Health Sci. 2011;13(2):118–25. doi: 10.1111/j.1442-2018.2011.00588.x. [PubMed:21401841].
- HelalBirjandi M, Nohi E, Borhani F, Ahrari KV. [Effect of clinical team teaching (mentorship program) on educational satisfaction of nursing students in Imam Reza Hospital of Birjand 2012]. J Med Educ Dev.2015;9(4):16–25. Persian.
- Barker ER, Pittman O. Becoming a super preceptor: A practical guide to preceptorship in today’s clinical climate. J Am Acad Nurse Pract. 2010;22(3):144–9. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-7599.2009.00487.x. [PubMed:20236398].
- Pourghane P. [Nursing students’ experiences of clinical teaching: A qualitative study]. J Holist Nurs Midwifery. 2013;23(2):16–26. Persian.
- Elisabeth C, Christine WH, Ewa P. Teaching during clinical practice: Strategies and techniques used by preceptors in nursing education. Nurse Educ Today. 2009;29(5):522–6. doi:10.1016/j.nedt.2008.11.012.[PubMed: 19108935].
- Khodayarian M, Mirmohammadi J, Salimi T, Araban M, Mojahed S, Resaee M. [Determining the competency dimensions of supervisor professor from the nursing students’ viewpoints: A qualitative study].Iran J Med Educ. 2011;11(4):332–46. Persian.
- Mirbagher Ajorpaz N, Zagheri Tafreshi M, Mohtashami J, Zayeri F, Rahemi Z. The effect of mentoring on clinical perioperative competence in operating room nursing students. J Clin Nurs. 2016;25(9-10):1319–25. doi: 10.1111/jocn.13205. [PubMed: 26990142].
- Yaghobyan M, Salmeh F, Yaghobi T. [Effect of mentorship program on the stressors in the nursing students during their clinical practice]. J Mazandaran Univ Med Sci. 2008;18(66):42–50. Persian.
- Cheraghi F, Hassani P, Yaghmaei F, Alavi-Majed H. Developing a valid and reliable self-efficacy in clinical performance scale. Int Nurs Rev. 2009;56(2):214–21. doi: 10.1111/j.1466-7657.2008.00685.x. [PubMed:19646171].
- Bagheriyeh F, Hemmati Maslek Pak M, Hashemloo L. [The effect of peer mentoring program on anxiety student in clinical environment]. J Urmia Nurs Midwifery Fac. 2015;13(8):648–54. Persian.
- Bulut H, Hisar F, Demir SG. Evaluation of mentorship programme in nursing education: A pilot study in Turkey. Nurse Educ Today. 2010;30(8):756–62. doi: 10.1016/j.nedt.2010.01.019. [PubMed:20362366].
- Asefzadeh SJ, Javadi HR, Sharifi M. Mentorship at Qazvin Medical School: A pilot study in Iran. J Med Educ. 2004;4(2):85–8.
- Gidman J, McIntosh A, Melling K, Smith D. Student perceptions of support in practice. J Nur Educ Pract. 2011;11(6):351–5. doi:10.1016/j.nepr.2011.03.005.
- Nohi E, Borhani F, HelalBirjandi M, Ahrary Khalaf V. [Effect of usingnursing field students in clinical teachingteam (mentorship program) on the self-confidence of nursing students]. Mod Care J. 2013; 10(1):19–25. Persian.
- Leggat SG, Balding C, Schiftan D. Developing clinical leaders: The impact of an action learning mentoring programme for advanced practice nurses. J Clin Nurs. 2015;24(11-12):1576–84. doi:10.1111/jocn.12757. [PubMed: 25664819].
- Myall M, Levett-Jones T, Lathlean J. Mentorship in contemporary practice: the experiences of nursing students and practice mentors. J Clin Nurs. 2008;17(14):1834–42. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2702.2007.02233.x. [PubMed: 18578757].
- Mahmoudifar Y. [Field clinical educations in the view of educational instructors and nursing students]. Educ Strat Med Sci. 2009;2(1):5–6. Persian.
- Higgins A, McCarthy M. Psychiatric nursing students’ experiences of having a mentor during their first practice placement: An Irish perspective. Nurse Educ Pract. 2005;5(4):218–24. doi:10.1016/j.nepr.2004.12.002. [PubMed: 19038202].
- Parsa Yekta Z, Ghahramanian A, Hajiskandar A. [Mentorship and preceptorship: Seniority-based education]. Iran J Med Educ. 2011;11(4):393–7. Persian.
- Khalifezadeh A, Salehi S. [The effects of clinical supervision program application on nursing]. Iran J Med Educ. 2001;1(3):37–41. Persian.
- Gilmour JA, Kopeikin A, Douche J. Student nurses as peer-mentors:Collegiality in practice. Nurse Educ Pract. 2007;7(1):36–43. doi:10.1016/j.nepr.2006.04.004. [PubMed: 17689422].
- Sprengel AD, Job L. Reducing student anxiety by using clinical peer mentoring with beginning nursing students. Nurse Educ. 2004;29(6):246–50. doi: 10.1097/00006223-200411000-00010. [PubMed:15586121].
- Goldsmith M, Stewart L, Ferguson L. Peer learning partnership: An innovative strategy to enhance skill acquisition in nursing students. Nurse Educ Today. 2006;26(2):123–30. doi:10.1016/j.nedt.2005.08.001. [PubMed: 16202483].
- Bandura A. Regulation of cognitive processes through perceived selfefficacy. Dev Psychol. 1989; 25(5):729–35.
- Blackman I, Hall M, Darmawan I. Undergraduate nurse variables that predict academic achievement and clinical competence in nursing. Int Educ J. 2007;8(2):222–36.
- Linnenbrink EA, Pintrich PR. The role of self-efficacy beliefs instudent engagement and learning intheclassroom. Read Writ Quart. 2010;19(2):119–37. doi: 10.1080/10573560308223.
- Pocock SJ. Clinical trials: A practical approach. New York: John Wiley & Sons; 2013. doi:10.1002/9781118793916.
- Eller LS, Lev EL, Feurer A. Key components of an effective mentoring relationship: A qualitative study. Nurse Educ Today. 2014;34(5):815–20. doi: 10.1016/j.nedt.2013.07.020. [PubMed: 23978778]. [PubMed Central:PMC3925207].
- Bandura A. Self-efficacy: The exercise of control. New York: Macmillan;1997.
- Jackson D, Mannix J. Clinical nurses as teachers: Insights from students of nursing in their first semester of study. J Clin Nurs.2001;10(2):270–7. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2702.2001.00471.x. [PubMed:11820348].
- Hosseinabadi R, Gholami M, Biranvand S, Tarverdian A, Anbari K. [Effect of multi mentoring educational method on clinical competence of nursing students]. J Med Educ Dev. 2015;10(2):119–28. Persian.
- Lim J, Park B. A study of experience and meaning of mentors participating in intercultural youth mentoring programs. Proc Soc Behav Sci.2014;159:656–9. doi: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2014.12.453.
- El-Sayed SH. Effect of peer teaching on the performance of undergraduate nursing students enrolled in nursing administration course. J Nur Educ Pract. 2013;3(9). doi: 10.5430/jnep.v3n9p156.
- Olson RK, Nelson M, Stuart C, Young L, Kleinsasser A, Schroedermeier R, et al. Nursing student residency program: A model for a seamless transition from nursing student to RN. J Nurs Adm. 2001; 31(1):40–8. doi: 10.1097/00005110-200101000-00008. [PubMed: 11198841].