Document Type : Original Article
Educational Administration, Islamic Azad University of Zahedan, Zahedan, Iran
Department of Nursing and Midwifery, Zahedan University of Medical Sciences, Zahedan, Iran
Department of Biostatistics and Epidemiology, Zahedan University of Medical Sciences, Zahedan, Iran
Background Paying attention to students’ academic burnout and identifying the factors affecting it is one of the concerns of higher education authorities. Objectives The purpose of this study was to investigate the effect of quality of educational services and happiness on students’ academic burnout. Methods In this descriptive-analytical study, 477 students of Zahedan University of Medical Sciences participated in the academic year 2017 - 2018. The sampling method was stratified. Data were collected using the SERVQUAL Questionnaire, Isfahan-Fordyce Happiness Inventory (IFHI) and Breso Burnout Questionnaire. Then, they were analyzed by Pearson’s correlation coefficient, independent -test, One-way ANOVA and Multiple linear regression using SPSS. P value less than 0.05 was considered significant. Results According to Pearson correlation coefficient, there was a significant relationship between students' happiness and academic burnout (P < 0.001), but there was no significant relationship between the quality of educational services and academic burnout (P = 0.060). The level of academic burnout was higher in male students than in female students (P = 0.003). Multiple linear regression analysis showed that only the students’ happiness variable significantly predicted variations in academic burnout (P = 0.001). Conclusions In order to reduce students’ academic burnout, effective factors such as happiness should be considered by the respective authorities and educational packages should be used to promote happiness and increase the quality of educational services.
- Nasiri F, Ghanbari S, Ardalan MR, Karimi I. [The effect of education quality and quality of educational services on academic burnout of graduate students]. Q J Res Plan High Educ. 2015;21(3):71–95. Persian.
- David A. Examining the relationship of personality and burnout in college students: The role of academicmotivation. Educ Meas Eval Rev. 2010;1:90–104.
- Naami A. [The relationship between the quality of learning experiences and academic burnout graduate students Shahid Chamran]. J Psychol Stud. 2009;5(3):117–34. Persian.
- Shin H, Lee J, Kim B, Lee SM. Students’ perceptions of parental bonding styles and their academic burnout. Asia Pacific Educ Rev. 2012;13(3):509–17. doi: 10.1007/s12564-012-9218-9.
- Divaris K, Barlow PJ, Chendea SA, Cheong WS, Dounis A, Dragan IF, et al. The academic environment: The students’ perspective. Eur J Dent Educ. 2008;12 Suppl 1:120–30. doi:10.1111/j.1600-0579.2007.00494.x. [PubMed: 18289275].
- Ezadi S, Salehi E, Gharebaghi M. [Student satisfaction assessment based on customer satisfaction scale of EFQM model (case study of Mazandaran University students)]. J Iran High Educ. 2008;1(3):19–53. Persian.
- Changizi Ashtyani S, Shamsi M. [Comparison of talented students viewpoints and other students towards educational problems in Arak University of Medical Sciences]. Res Med Educ. 2011;3(2):9–18. Persian.
- Mirfakhrodini H, Owlia MS, Jamali R. [Reengineering quality management in higher education institutions (case study: YazdUniversity Educational Services)]. J Res Plan High Educ. 2009;15(3):131–57. Persian.
- Parasuraman A, Zeithaml V, Berry L. SERVQUAL: A multiple-item scale for measuring consumer perceptions of service quality. Retail Crit Concepts. 2002;64(1):140.
- Bagherzadeh M, Bagherzadeh F. [A survey of service quality of the educational centers in Tabriz using servqual model and ranking educational centers using analytic hierarchy process]. J Instruct Eval. 2010;2(8):31–45. Persian.
- Changyzi Ashtiyani S, Shamsi M. [Students viewpoints about quality of educational health-care at Arak University of Medical Sciences in 2009]. Res Med Educ. 2011;3(1):17–26. Persian.
- Tabarraei M, Mohebi S. Assessing the quality of educational services from the viewpoint of Medical Students of Islamic Azad University of Qom based on SERVQUAL Model 2013. Arch Hygiene Sci. 2014; 3(2):50–8.
- Bagheri F, Akbarizadeh F, Hatami H. The relationship between nurses’ spiritual intelligence and happiness in Iran. Procedia Soc Behav Sci. 2010;5:1556–61. doi: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2010.07.325.
- Sajjadi MS, Mousavi-Nasab M. [The role of big five personality factors in predicting mindfulness and subjective well-being: Direct and indirect effects]. J Res Psychol Health. 2014;8(3):1–10. Persian.
- Niaz Azari K. [Investigating the effect of happiness and vitality on the academic achievement of high school students in Sari]. J Manage Sys. 2014;2(3):35–57. Persian.
- Khosravi S, Ghomrani A, Bordideh M. [Investigating the factors affecting the happiness of students]. Roshd. 2010;6(1). Persian.
- Saffari M, Sanaeinasab H, Rshidi Jahan H, Purtaghi G, Pakpour A. [Happiness, self-efficacy and academic achievement among students of Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences]. J Med Educ Dev. 2014;7(13):22–9. Persian.
- Homaee R. [The relationship between prefectionism, hardiness, happiness and mental health with Academic performance of students Islamic Azad university of Ahvaz]. J Soc Psychol. 2015;2(33):115–34. Persian.
- Rostamzadeh N, Narimani M. [Investigating the role of social intimacy and happiness in predicting students’ academic burnout]. J Res Psychol Educ. 2017;(2):16. Persian.
- Veiskarami HA, Yousefvand L. [Investigating the role of academic vitality and happiness in predicting the students creativity in Lorestan University of Medical Sciences]. Res Med Educ. 2018;10(2):28–37. Persian. doi: 10.29252/rme.10.2.28.
- Liaghatdar M, Abedi M, Jafari S. [Standardization of Isfahan-fordyce happiness inventory in university students]. J Psychol. 2008;12(2):183–96. Persian.
- Bresó E, Salanova M, Schaufeli WB. In search of the "third dimension" of burnout: Efficacy or inefficacy? Appl Psychol. 2007;56(3):460–78. doi: 10.1111/j.1464-0597.2007.00290.x.
- Marzoghi R, Haidari M, Haidari A. [The impact of educational justice on students’ academic burnout in the University of Social Welfare and Rehabilitation Science, Tehran, Iran]. Strides Dev Med Educ. 2012;10(3):328–34. Persian.
- Sharififard F, Nourozi M, Asayesh H, Hosseini M, Nourozi K. [The relation ship between academic burnout and academic self-efficacy among nursing and paramedics college students]. J Urmia Nurs Midwifery Fac. 2014;12(8):792–9. Persian.
- Mohammadi M, Keshahvarzi F, Haidari A. [Causal model of quality of campus community, educational and social integrity and student’s academic burnout]. J Psychol Models Methods. 2014; 4(16):11–28. Persian.
- Azizzadeh Forouzi M, Shahmohammadipour P, Heidarzadeh A, Dehghan L, Taheri Z. [The relationship between the quality of learning experience and academic burnout and achievement among students of Kerman University of Medical Sciences]. Iran J Med Educ. 2016;16(9):84–93. Persian.
- Zaregar M, Ebrahimipour H, Shaabani Y, Hooshmand E. [The relationship between motivation and academic burnout among students of health school, Mashhad University of Medical Sciences].Dev Strategies Med Educ. 2017;4(1):40–50. Persian.
- Ghadampour E, Farhadi A, Naghibeiranvand F. [The relationship among academic burnout, academic engagement and performance of students of Lorestan University of Medical Sciences]. Res Med Educ. 2016;8(2):60–8. Persian. doi: 10.18869/acadpub.rme.8.2.60.
- Hosseinpour A, Asgari A, Ayati M. [The relationship between internet and cell-phone addictions and academic burnout in university students]. Q J Info Commun Technol Educ Sci. 2016;6(4):59–73. Persian.
- Yarmohammadian MH, Nazari M, Moradi R, Mirzaei H, Navvabi E. [Evaluation of educational services quality for healthcare services management students of Isfahan University of Medical Sciences based on SERVQUAL model]. Iran J Med Educ. 2015;15:319–29. Persian.
- Tavan B, Jahani F, Rafeei M. [The relationship between self-esteem and happiness among students of Arak University of Medical Sciences]. Iran J Med Educ. 2014;14(6):474–82. Persian.
- Raisi M, Ahmari Tehran H, Heidari S, Jafarbegloo E, Abedini Z, Bathaie SA. [Relationship between spiritual intelligence, happiness and academic achievement in students of Qom University of Medical Sciences]. Iran J Med Educ. 2013;13(5):431–40. Persian.
- Barati F, Ashrafi Z, Najafi F, Karimi A, Sharifzade G. [The investigation of happiness status and its related factors in students of Birjand University of Medical Sciences in 2013]. J Torbat Heydariyeh Univ Med Sci. 2015;3(2):26–30. Persian.