Document Type : Original Article
School of Health, Bam University of Medical Sciences, Bam, Iran
Faculty of Medical Education, Shahid Beheshti University of Medical Sciences, Tehran, Iran
HIV/STI Surveillance Research Center, WHO Collaborating Center for HIV Surveillance, Institute for Futures Studies in Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences, Kerman, Iran
Background One of the most effective ways to prevent substance abuse is to promote addiction knowledge in influential social groups. Objectives The purpose of this study was to identify the current status of substance abuse education in medical universities of Iran in order to develop a targeted curriculum on drug abuse and include it in the curriculum of medical students. Methods In this descriptive library study, documentary (library) method and checklists were used for data collection. In order to identify the extent to which the existing units and courses deal with substance abuse and with the subject of addiction, the announced titles for active disciplines of the Ministry of Health and Medical Education were reviewed in 2017 - 2018. Results Of the 7685.5 units taught in different faculties of medical sciences universities in all disciplines except clinical residency programs.106.1% (optional or mandatory) are related to substance abuse. Of these, 49.5 units were related to the pathophysiology, treatment and pharmacology of substances, and 57.6 units covered topics related to prevention strategies and pathologies of substance abuse. Conclusions Despite the high importance of substance abuse issues for medical sciences students, a general unit for prevention and familiarity with the physical, psychological and social consequences of substance abuse does not exist in most of these disciplines. Therefore, it is recommended that studies be conducted to provide specific courses related to the substance abuse phenomenon or to consider substance abuse topics in the courses related to this subject.
- Amani F, Ahari Sadeghieh S, Mohammadi S, Azami A. [The trend in substance abuse among addicts referred to withdrawal centers, 1998-2003]. J Ardabil Univ Med Sci. 2005;5(3):220–4. Persian.
- Sarrami H, Ghorbami M, Taghavi M. [The survey two decades of prevalence studies among Iran University students]. J Res Addict. 2013;7(27):9–36. Persian.
- Sarrami H, Ghorbani M, Minooei M. [Survey of four decades of addiction prevalence researches in Iran]. J Res Addict. 2013;7(26):29–52. Persian.
- Botvin GJ, Griffin KW. Prevention of substance abuse. APA handbook of clinical psychology: Applications and methods. 2016. p. 485–509. doi:10.1037/14861-026.
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (US). 2015 National Survey on Drug Use and Health. 2016.
- Hawkins JD, Catalano RF, Arthur MW. Promoting science-based prevention in communities. Addict Behav. 2002;27(6):951–76. doi:10.1016/s0306-4603(02)00298-8.
- Solhi M, Abolfathi M. [The effect of education about prevention of addiction through health belief model (HBM) on knowledge and perceptions of high school students in Saveh]. Iran J Health Educ Health Promot. 2013;1(2):31–40. Persian.
- Kazemi Shoaa M. [The relationship between awareness to psychotrop and consumptions in humanistic students]. Psychol Stud. 2011;7(1):33–48. Persian.
- Kruglanski AW, Higgins ET. Social psychology: Handbook of basic principles. 2nd ed. New York: Guilford Pub; 2013.
- Yazdanpanah B, Safari M, Yosefi M, Angha P, Habibian M, Zandi K, et al. [Effects of community based educational prevention program of drug abuse in reduction of high risk behavior]. J Shahid Sadoughi Univ Med Sci. 2010;18(3):191–8. Persian.
- Somani S, Meghani S. Substance abuse among youth: A harsh reality. Emergency Med Open Access. 2016;6(4). doi: 10.4172/2165-7548.1000330.
- Masoudnia MH, Solhi M, Beizaee G. [Effect of education on knowledge and attitudes of high school students about the dangers of smoking in Yazd]. Tolooe Behdasht. 2003;2(4):26. Persian.
- Saffari M, Shojaeizadeh D, Ghofranipour F, Heydarnia A, Pakpour A. [Health education and promotion theories, models and methods]. Tehran:Sobhan Pub; 2009. Persian.
- Fathi Vajargah K, Jamali Tazehkand M, Zamanaimanesh H, Youzbashi A. [The obstacles to curriculum change in higher education: Viewpoints of faculty members of Shahid Beheshti University and Shahid Behehsti Medical University]. Iran J Med Educ. 2012;11(7):768–78. Persian.
- Feldman AF, Matjasko JL. The role of school-based extracurricular activities in adolescent development: A comprehensive review and future directions. Rev Educ Res. 2016;75(2):159–210. doi:10.3102/00346543075002159.
- Kiaee Jamali M, Fathi Vajargah K, Moosapoor N, Khorasani A. [The evolution of curriculum in Iran’s higher education system]. J New Thoughts Educ. 2018;14(2):41–76. Persian.
- Maphosa C, Mudzielwana NP, Netshifhefhe L. Curriculum development in south african higher education institutions: Key considerations. Mediterranean J Soc Sci. 2014;5(7):355–66. doi:10.5901/mjss.2014.v5n7p355.
- Fathi Vajargah K. [Designing a curriculum need assessment model] [dessertation]. Tehran: Tehran University of Tarbiat Modares; 1998. Persian.
- Toma A, Pare G, Leong DP. Alcohol and cardiovascular disease: How much is too much? Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2017;19(3):13. doi:10.1007/s11883-017-0647-0. [PubMed: 28210975].
- Whitman IR, Agarwal V, Nah G, Dukes JW, Vittinghoff E, Dewland TA, et al. Alcohol abuse and cardiac disease. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2017;69(1):13–24. doi: 10.1016/j.jacc.2016.10.048. [PubMed: 28057245]. [PubMed Central: PMC5226115].
- Cornah D. Cheers? Understanding the relationship between alcohol and mental health. Ment Health Found. 2006.
- Pompili M, Serafini G, Innamorati M, Dominici G, Ferracuti S, Kotzalidis GD, et al. Suicidal behavior and alcohol abuse. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2010;7(4):1392–431. doi: 10.3390/ijerph7041392. [PubMed: 20617037]. [PubMed Central: PMC2872355].
- Ettorre E. Revisioning women and drug use. London: Palgrave Macmillan; 2016.
- Khalooei A, Mashayekhi-Dowlatabad M, Rajabalipour MR, Iranpour A. Pattern of substance use and related factors in male prisoners. Addict Health. 2016;8(4):227–34. [PubMed: 28819553]. [PubMed Central:PMC5554802].
- Karimi B, Maleki H. [Study the role of instructional designer in textbook compilation from the perspective of specialists (curriculum planners and educational technologists)]. Educ Psychol. 2009; 5(14):1–18. Persian.
- Moasheri N, Miri M, Mashreghi Moghadam HR, Eslami MR. [A Study of Birjand University students’ knowledge and attitude towards taking Ecstasy pills]. J Birjand Univ Med Sci. 2006;13(4):9–15. Persian.
- Momtazi S, Rawson R. Substance abuse among Iranian high school students. Curr Opin Psychiatry. 2010;23(3):221–6. doi:10.1097/YCO.0b013e328338630d. [PubMed: 20308905]. [PubMed Central:PMC4479403].
- Rajabalipour M. [Application of social cognitive theory to prevention of waterpipe use in high school boys in Kerman city at 2016] [dissertation]. Kerman: School of Health, Kerman University of Medical Sciences; 2017. Persian.