Document Type : Original Article
PhD in Nursing, Associate Professor of Community Health Nursing„ Education Development Center, Golestan University of Medical Sciences, Gorgan, IR Iran
MSN, Faculty at School of Paramedical Sciences, Laboratory Science Research Center Golestan University of Medical Sciences, Gorgan, IR Iran
BS in Midwifery, Student Research Committee, Golestan University of Medical Sciences, Gorgan, IR Iran
BSN, Student Research Committee, Golestan University of Medical Sciences, Gorgan, IR Iran
PhD in Nursing, Associate Professor, Nursing Research Center, Golestan University of Medical Sciences, Gorgan, IR Iran
Background and Objectives Cheating is a common phenomenon that can undermine the credibility of university tests and certificates. Cheating is a more sensitive issue among medical students. The present study was conducted to investigate the performance and attitude of undergraduate students of Golestan University of Medical Sciences in Iran towards cheating, as well asthe factors that influence cheating. Methods The present descriptive analytical and cross-sectional study was conducted in 2014 on 524 female and male undergraduate students of Golestan University of Medical Sciences. Convenience sampling was used to select the participants. The data were collected using a valid and reliable 64-item questionnaire on performance and attitude towards cheating with a Cronbach’s alpha of 0.88. The obtained data were then analyzed using descriptive tests and the χ test. P < 0.05 was set as the level of statistical significance. Results Demographically, women made up 58% of the study population. In terms of ethnicity, 68.5% of the population wereFars, 24.6% Turkmen, and the rest were other ethnicities. A total of 70.6% of students had negative attitudes towards cheating. In terms of performance, 57.1% of students admitted to cheating. Significant relationships were observed between the attitude and performance of students (P = 0.001). The relationship between gender and occupational status, and attitude and performance was also found to be statistically significant (P < 0.050). Male and employed students had more positive attitudes towards cheating and actually did it more frequently than their female counterparts. Conclusions The majority of nursing students were against cheating in terms of attitude and performance. Nevertheless, to better understand this behavior and develop coping strategies, further studies should be conducted on the phenomenon of cheating in other academic activities among medical students.
- Zimmermann S, Klusmann D, Hampe W. Are Exam Questions Known in Advance? Using Local Dependence to Detect Cheating. PLoS One. 2016;11(12). e0167545. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0167545. [PubMed: 27907190].
- Desalegn AA, Berhan A. Cheating on examinations and its predictors among undergraduate students at Hawassa University College of Medicine and Health Science, Hawassa, Ethiopia. BMC Med Educ.
2014;14:89. doi: 10.1186/1472-6920-14-89. [PubMed: 24885973].
- Khamesan A, Amiri MA. The educational cheating among male and female students. Q Ethics Sci Technol. 2011;6(1):53–61.
- Desalegn AA, Berhan A, Berhan Y. Absenteeism among medical and health science undergraduate students at Hawassa University, Ethiopia. BMC Med Educ. 2014;14:81. doi: 10.1186/1472-6920-14-81.
- Dogas V, Jeroncic A,Marusic M,Marusic A.Who would students ask for help in academic cheating? Cross-sectional study of medical students in Croatia. BMC Med Educ. 2014;14:1048. doi: 10.1186/s12909-014-0277-y. [PubMed: 25547735].
- Gitanjali B. Academic dishonesty in Indian medical colleges. J Postgrad Med. 2004;50(4):281–4. [PubMed: 15623972].
- Turrens JF, Staik IM, Gilbert DK, Small WC, Burling JW. Undergraduate academic cheating as a risk factor for future professional misconduct. Proceedings of the First ORI Research Conference on Research Integrity. Bethesda, Maryland, USA. 2001.
- McCabe DL, Trevino LK, Butterfield KD. Cheating in Academic Institutions: A Decade of Research. Ethics Behav. 2001;11(3):219–32. doi:10.1207/s15327019eb1103_2.
- Bazoukis G, Dimoliatis IDK. Cheating in medical schools in Greece: quantitative evaluation and recommendations for resolving the problem. Arch Hell Med. 2011;28(3):390–9.
- Klein HA, Levenburg NM, McKendall M, Mothersell W. Cheating During the College Years: How do Business School Students Compare? J Business Ethics. 2006;72(2):197–206. doi: 10.1007/s10551-006-9165-7.
- Tolkin L, Glick S. [Ethical behavioral standards of medical students on examinations and studies]. Harefuah. 2007;146(6):429–34. 502. [PubMed: 17760395].
- Asokan S, John JB, Janani D, Jessy P, Kavya S, Sharma K. Attitudes of students and teachers on cheating behaviors: descriptive cross-sectional study at six dental colleges in India. J Dent Educ. 2013; 77(10):1379–83. [PubMed: 24098043].
- Park EJ, Park S, Jang IS. Academic cheating among nursing students. Nurse Educ Today. 2013; 33(4): 346–52. doi: 10.1016/j.nedt.2012.12.015. [PubMed: 23357719].
- Feli S, Safar PS, Rasouliazar S. Effective factors on students’cheatingbehaviors on exams: A case study of gorgan Islamic azad university. J Res Plan High Educ. 2014;20(1):57–77.
- Aliverdinia A, Saleh Nejad S. Investigating the factors affecting students’ cheating. Ethics Sci Technol. 2013;8(1):85–93.
- Ahanchiyan MR, Hoseini M, Hashemi FS, Tatari Y. Phenomenology of cheating in exams: lived experiences of master students in Ferdowsi University of Mashhad. Q J Res Plan High Educ. 2016;2:1–24.
- Zare H, Safari E. Comparing Cheating Through Paper or Paperless Based Exams of Payame Noor University. High Educ Let. 2015;8(29):153–68.
- Moradi V, Saeedi-Jam M. Study causes of students cheating in exams students in Hamedan University of Medical Sciences. Teb va Tazkiyeh. 1991;40:16–9.
- Macale L, Ghezzi V, Rocco G, Fida R, Vellone E, Alvaro R. Academic dishonesty among Italian nursing students: A longitudinal study. Nurse Educ Today. 2017;50:57–61. doi: 10.1016/j.nedt.2016.12.013. [PubMed:28012980].
- Khodaie E, Moghadamzadeh A, Salehi K. Factors Affecting the Probability of Academic Cheating School Students in Tehran. Proc Soc Behav Sci. 2011;29:1587–95. doi: 10.1016/j.sbspro.2011.11.401.
- Tonkin AL. "Lifting the carpet" on cheating in medical school exams. BMJ. 2015;351:h4014. doi: 10.1136/bmj.h4014. [PubMed: 26286467].
- Genereux RL, McLeod BA. Circumstances surrounding cheating: A questionnaire study of college students. Res High Educ. 1995;36(6):687–704. doi: 10.1007/bf02208251.
- Ip EJ, Nguyen K, Shah BM, Doroudgar S, Bidwal MK. Motivations and Predictors of Cheating in Pharmacy School. Am J Pharm Educ. 2016;80(8):133. doi: 10.5688/ajpe808133. [PubMed: 27899829].
- Niiya Y, Ballantyne R, North MS, Crocker J. Gender, Contingencies of Self-Worth, and Achievement Goals as Predictors of Academic Cheating in a Controlled Laboratory Setting. Basic Appl Soc Psychol.
2008;30(1):76–83. doi: 10.1080/01973530701866656.
- Bani Mahd B, Pashmi Tabar N. The Relationship between cheating and Machiavellianism in Accounting Students. Ethics Sci Technol. 2014;9(2):1–8.
- Orosz G, Toth-Kiraly I, Bothe B, Kusztor A, Kovacs ZU, JanvariM. Teacher enthusiasm: a potential cure of academic cheating. Front Psychol. 2015;6:318. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2015.00318. [PubMed: 25873903].
- Bahrami M, Hassanzade M, Zandi Z, Erami E, Miri K. Student’s Attitude about Cheating and its Confronting Strategies. Educ Strateg Med Sci. 2015;8(2):99–104.
- Vail ME, Coleman S, Johannsson MB, Wright KA. Attitudes Toward Academic Dishonesty in Physician Assistant Students. J Physician Assist Educ. 2015;26(4):170–5. doi: 10.1097/JPA.0000000000000040.
- Syam MI. The Factors that Lead to Cheating in Exams and How to Avoid Them. GSTF J Educ. 2014; 1(2).
- Jurdi R, Hage HS, Chow HPH. What behaviours do students consider academically dishonest? Findings from a survey of Canadian undergraduate students. Soc Psychol Educ. 2011;15(1):1–23. doi: 10.1007/s11218-011-9166-y.
- Orosz G, Farkas D, Roland-Levy C. Are competition and extrinsic motivation reliable predictors of academic cheating? Front Psychol. 2013;4:87. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2013.00087. [PubMed: 23450676].