Document Type : Original Article
1. Ph.D. in Health Services Management, Assistant Professor, School of Medicine, Babol University of Medical Sciences, Babol, Iran
2. MD in Infectious Diseases, Assistant Professor, School of Medicine, Babol University of Medical Sciences, Babol, Iran
3. Ph.D. in Biophysics, Professor, School of Medicine, Babol University of Medical Sciences, Babol, Iran
4. MD, Instructor, Education Development Center, Babol University of Medical Sciences, Babol, Iran
Background & Objective: Scientific Olympiads are planned to identify creative innovative and the most talented students These competitions create cheerful environments in order to increase the capabilities and motivation of the students Satisfaction and loyalty of the participants are suitable characteristics to evaluate the efficacy of an Olympiad This study was performed to evaluate the success rate of the 4th Scientific Olympiad of Medical Students of Iran about empowerment and loyalty in the participants viewpoints Methods: This crosssectional study was conducted in 201213 on the participants of the 4th Medolympiad of Iran The research sample was selected by census Data collection was performed by a researchermade questionnaire the validity and reliability of which were confirmed The data were analyzed using SPSS software at significant level of < 005 Results: Among the 320 participants from 4 groups 62 students (27%) were in the domain of basic science 50 students (22%) in clinical reasoning 56 students (24%) in health management and 61 students (27%) in innovation The mean score of preparation in the Universities of Medical Sciences was 25 ± 11 (out of the total score of 5) The 4th Medolympiad gained a score of 32 ± 11 out of 5 in personal empowerment and 37 ± 12 out of 5 in loyalty There was a significant correlation between the level of preparation in Medical Universities and the type of university (P < 0001) There was a significant correlation between the level of loyalty and the type of university (P < 0001) Moreover there was a significant correlation between the level of loyalty and academic degree of students (P = 0029) Conclusion: The success rate of the 4th Medolympiad in terms of empowerment and loyalty of students was higher than the moderate level therefore it is necessary to improve the subsequent periods
- Frank JR, Jabbour M, Tugwell P. Skills for the new millennium: report of the societal needs working group, CanMEDS 2000 Project. Ann R Coll Physicians Surg Can 1996; 29(4): 206-16.
- MoumeniMahmouei M. Improvement of high education curriculum a step toward training creative alumni. Educational Strategies 2009; 2(3): 121-6. [In Persian]
- Campbell JR, Wagner H, Walberg HJ. International handbook of research on the development of giftedness and talent. 2nd ed. Oxford: Pergamon Press Inc; 2000.
- Gorzkowski W. International Physics Olympiads (Ipho): Their History, Structure and Future. AAPPS Bulletin 2007; 17(3): 2-11.
- Chakrabarti B. International Mathematics Olympiad: the first science olympiad is now fifty years old. Current Science 2009; 96(12):1573.
- O'Kennedy R, Burke M, Van Kampen P, James P, Cotter M, Browne WR, et al, The first EU Science Olympiad (EUSO): a model for science education. J BiolEduc 2005; 39(2): 58-61.
- Familiarity with olympiad.Available from: http://olympiad.sanjesh.org/history/history.htm [In Persian]
- Hadizadeh F, Yazdani S, Ferdosi M, Haghdoost AA, Rashidian A, Hadadgar A, et al. The first national Olympiad on reasoning and decision making in Health system management; an experience Report. Iran J Med Educ 2011; 10(5): 1018-33. [In Persian]
- Adibi P, Hadadgar A, Hadizadeh F, Monajemi AR, Eftekhari H, HaghjooJavanmard S, et al. Implementation of The First Medical science Olympiad in Iran: A report. Iran J Med Educ 2011; 10(5): 1006-17. [In Persian]
- Monajemi A, Adibi P, SoltaniArabshahi K, Arbabi F, Akbari R, Custers E, et al. The battery for assessment of clinical reasoning in the Olympiad formedical sciences students. Iran J Med Educ 2011; 10(5): 1056-67. [In Persian]
- Momtazmanesh N. [cited 2010 Aug 10]. ThesecondOlympiadforstudentsof medical sciencesinShiraz. Available from: http://ejournal.sums.ac.ir/e8-12-1.htm#35[In Persian]
- Concepts and definitions: Introduction, Goals and values of the Olympiad. [cited 2012 Oct 27]. Available from: http://medolympiad.behdasht.gov.ir/index.aspx? siteid=280&pageid=33333&newsview=43262
- Tirri K. Actualizing Mathematical Giftedness in Adulthood. [cited 2012 June 11]. Available from:http://www.eric.ed.gov/PDFS/ED449587.p df.
- Mahajan BS. Biology Olympiad program in India. Current Science 2000; 79(8): 1058-61.
- Halpern R, Lee MY, Boulter PR, Phillips RR. A synthesis of nine major reports on physicians' competencies for the emerging practice environment. Acad Med 2001; 76(6): 606-15.
- Fatehi F, Hadadgar AmirShahkarami M, A, Changiz Kianimehr T, G, HaghJooyJavavnmardSh, et al. Determining and Prioritizing Admission Criteria for Talented Students Office in Isfahan University ofMedical Sciences Using Analytical Hierarchy Process Model. Iran J Med Educ 2007; 7(1): 101-8. [In Persian]
- Mortazavi S, Kazemi M, Shirazi A, Aziz-Abadi A. The relationships between patient satisfaction and loyalty in the private hospital industry. Iran J Public Health 2009;38(3): 60-9. [In Persian]
- Arab M, Tabatabaei SG, Rashidian A, Forushani AR, Zarei E. The Effect of Service Quality on Patient loyalty: a Study of Private Hospitals in Tehran, Iran. Iran J Public Health 2012; 41(9): 71-7. [In Persian]
- Souki GQ, Filho CG. Perceived Quality, Satisfaction and Customer Loyalty: an empirical study in the mobile phones sector in brazil. Int J of Internet and Enterprise Management 2008; 5(4): 298- 312.
- Kuo YF. A study on service quality of community websites. TotalQuality Management and Business Excellence 2003; 14(4): 461-73.
- Zeithaml VA, Berry LL, Parasuraman A. The behavioral consequences of service quality. J Marketing 1996; (60)2: 31-46.
- Wang YS, Lo H. An Integrated framework for servicequality, customer value, satisfaction: Evidence from china'stelecommunications industry. Information Systems Frontiers 2004; 6(4): 325–40.
- Lin HH, Wang YS. An examination of the determinants ofcustomer loyalty in mobile commerce contexts. Information Management 2006; 43(3): 271-82. and
- Khoshbaten M. Special of 4th Scientific Olympiad Medical Students of the Universities of Medical Sciences in Iran, Tabriz University of Medical Sciences 2012; 5-18. [cited 2012 Jan 3]. http://medolympiad.behdasht.gov.ir/index.aspx? siteid=280&pageid=38172 [In Persian].
- Motlagh ME, Shariati M, Maleki MR, Tofighi S, NasrollapourShirvani SD, Haji seiyedAzizi P.Performance Evaluation in Vice-Chancellery of Universities/ Faculties of Medical Sciences of Iran on base Iranian National Productivity and Excellence Award & EFQM Excellence Model. 1st ed. Babol University of Medical Sciences: Honaroltahrir; 2012. [In Persian]
- Naghavi M. Subsequent (Status) mortality in 23 provinces of Iran.Iran Ministry of Health and Medical Education. Health deputy 2005; 102106. [In Persian]
- Evans JR, Lindsay WM. The Management and Control of Quality. 6th ed. Cincinnati: SouthWestern College Pub; 2004.
- Wood WB. Innovations in teaching undergraduate biology and why we need them. Annu Rev Cell DevBiol 2009; 25: 93-112.
- Allami A, Sarreshtehdari M, derakhshan F, safdari F. Innovation in medical education based on Quality Management Model: An experiment in Medical school of Ghazvin University of Medical Sciences. Iran J Med Educ 2011;11(3): 291-92. [In Persian]
- Amini M, Kojuri J, Dehghani MR, karimian Z, Lotfi F. Survey of Medical science Olympiad in Iran. Key Health Journal 2012; 3(23): 3-6. [In Persian]
- Hellier PK, Ceursen GM, Carr RA, Rickard A. Customerrepurchase intention: A general structural equation model. Eur J Mark 2003; 37 (11/12): 1762- 1800.
- Svendsen MF, Sven A, Haugland SA,Kjell G. Marketing strategyand customer involvement in productdevelopment. Eur J Mark 2011; 45 (4): 513-30.